Incremental restoration

SiegeLordEx
Hello,

For various reasons I decided that I want to migrate off of rdiff-backup
to a different backup solution (currently thinking of attic). My current
plan involves restoring my backup at each of the increments and then
checking those increments into the replacement backup system. My
preliminary testing has shown that a lot of the time (nearly 3 hours) is
spent restoring those increments, and that that cost is paid for every
increment. So as to not confuse the replacement backup system I've been
restoring on top of the same destination directory. To that end, is it
possible to do an incremental restoration, where only the changed files
between two increments are restored?

Thanks,

-SL

Re: Incremental restoration

Dominic Raferd-3
I can't see how to do what you want except the slow way, but I also
don't understand what you are trying to achieve, or why you want to
restore past increments.

As far as I can see attic (if that is your preferred choice) doesn't
keep prior versions of backed-up files (or deleted files). I would have
thought you either keep your old rdiff-backup repository in a separate
location and start running attic to a new repository, or accept that you
are losing the old history (and, temporarily, your current backup), wipe
your rdiff-backup repository and use the freed-up space for your new
attic repository.

Did I miss something?

Dominic

On 09/17/2014 09:57 AM, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> I can't see how to do what you want except the slow way, but I also
> don't understand what you are trying to achieve, or why you want to
> restore past increments.

I've been using rdiff-backup for years, and across several reinstalls.
Occasionally I don't restore everything from the backup when I do a
reinstall, since I, at the time, I think some directory/files are
unnecessary. However, I also realize that I might think otherwise in the
future, so I prefer for those deleted files (which remain in the backup)
to survive the transition between backup systems. Perhaps this is an
unorthodox use of the backup concept?

> As far as I can see attic (if that is your preferred choice) doesn't
> keep prior versions of backed-up files (or deleted files).

attic, from what I can tell after using it a bit, does not assume any
sort of temporal ordering between different archives (i.e. different
invocations of its backup command). So backing up the same directory at
two time points is identical to backing up two directories at different
locations with similar files. To the extent that it can restore both
archives, it therefore keeps the 'prior' versions of files (where the
notion of prior is determined solely by the user). The reason why I'd
want to restore in place with rdiff-backup is that hopefully attic's
cache system won't have to rescan the files, and not to try to convince
it of some temporal ordering between two archives.

Anyway, I managed to do some hardware shufflings and brought down the
rdiff-backup's checkout time to just 1 hour, which is sufficiently fast
for now.

Thanks!

-SL