Linphone 4.2 beta is on the way

Julien Wadel
Hello everyone

A version of the Linphone Desktop 4.2 application can be beta tested on
the snapshots repository. The alpha 17 contains some bugfixes and
resolves Cisco openH264 issues that could crash on Linux platforms.
You can find it by following the below links :
- Linux :
https://www.linphone.org/snapshots/AppImages/Linphone-4.2.0-alpha.17+09ec28d.AppImage
- MacOS :
https://www.linphone.org/snapshots/macosx/app/Linphone-4.2.0-alpha.17+09ec28df-mac.dmg
- Windows :
https://www.linphone.org/snapshots/windows/app/Linphone-4.2.0-alpha.17+09ec28df-win32.exe

For reporting issues, you can do :
  - Retrieve better logs by launching the app with --verbose like
`linphone.exe --verbose`, ./Linphone.app/Contents/MacOS/linphone
--verbose` or `./bin/linphone--verbose`
  - Give some details about the version and the OS you are using
  - Post the issue to the github repository :
https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-desktop
  - If you guess that the bug is more about the SDK, you could post the
issue there : https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-sdk

Thanks for your interest in Linphone.

Re: Linphone 4.2 beta is on the way

Julien Wadel
Hi,

The user data of the application is in the folder ~/.local/share/linphone

The main db files are call-history.db, friends.db, linphone.db,
message-history.db. In .config/linphone, there are only 2 files :
linphonerc and linphone.conf

Linphone 4.2 should read your old configuration. If not, you have to
check your logs.

On 4/19/20 6:26 AM, David Pirotte wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Some bug fixes are done like unseen configuration
> None of the snapshots I tried, including this latest 4.2.0-alpha.29.xxx
> was/is able to find (on 'its own') and reuse a previous account def,
> config, contact and history chat.
>
> I tried to 'manually do that', but couldn't find any documentation on
> what files should I grab, where to put them for the new snapshots ...
> all my attempts failed so far.
>
> Can someone tell me what I should do to make it so?
>
> Thanks you so much,
> David

Re: Linphone 4.2 beta is on the way

David Pirotte
Hi Julien,

Thank you for your answer.

> The user data of the application is in the folder
> ~/.local/share/linphone

I was not aware of that thanks. Fwiw though, this user data
directory is not the one used by flatpak versions of linphone, and I
think that this is a problem other users will face (on linux at least). The
flatpak user data location is:

        ~/.var/app/com.belledonnecommunications.linphone/data/linphone

        and the linphonerc file is here:

        ~/.var/app/com.belledonnecommunications.linphone/config/linphone

Since these locations are not automatically searched by (any of) the snapshot I
tried, and since you may have other users 'out there' that like me, once
used a (old) distro version of linphone, then moved to flatpak, and now move to
'Appimages', it would be good, imo, to a search 'upon launch' all
possible locations linphone has used in the past and present, detect
multiple presence of these files and offer the user to pick the right
ones, clean the others ... my 2c

> The main db files are call-history.db, friends.db, linphone.db,
> message-history.db. In .config/linphone, there are only 2 files :
> linphonerc and linphone.conf

Ok, now I moved those in appropriate locations

> Linphone 4.2 should read your old configuration. If not, you have to
> check your logs.

Then it properly reads the friends.db file, so I can see all my
contacts, but for some reason, from the message-history.db, it only
displays the message history for one contact, no idea why that is - not
a big deal but I thought I'd mention this 'fact' to you, since it may
really bother other users 'out there' ...

Thanks again,
David

Re: Linphone 4.2 beta is on the way

David Pirotte

> Since these locations are not automatically searched by (any of) the
> snapshot ...

While 'at making some suggestions' ...

I would at least display these locations - the full path, not (just)
the directory basename - in the Settings -> Advanced 'notebook page'

Also, it is very strange to click on any of the locations listed
by linphone, both in the Settings -> User Interface and Advanced
notebook pages, then click any folder selection button, and surprise
surprise, it does _not_ list the true location of the item ... but
instead, it dislays the location of the last selection made (by any
other use of any qt based application) ... iiuc. It really should show
the 'current' loction of the item, as 'seen by linphone'.

Imo, every location a user may select should always display the full
path of the current selection, so

        Download folder: /home/a-user/Downloads
        [ and not
        [ Download folder: Downloads

And as said in my previous email, it would be nice to a have in the
Settings -> Avanced:

        Config: /home/a-user/.config/linphone/linphonerc
                        /home/a-user/.config/linphone/linphone.conf

        Friends: /home/a-user/.local/share/linphone/friends.db

        Message history: ...

David