Linphone bug

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Linphone bug

Grant Griesel
To whom it may concern;

From the 10th of October 2018 I have been experiencing a pervasive bug while using the Linphone application and I was hoping to find out if others had experienced the same or if a existing solution is known.

When calling landline and mobile numbers the phone rings, the call is answered but then I cannot hear the other person nor can they hear me. It began on the Wednesday the 10th with about 40% of the outward calls I made, however by Monday the 15th  I only had success with 1 out of 13 calls made that day. I do not receive any calls.

I have done the basic troubleshooting of switching  microphone and headphones(I'm fairly confident this is not the problem as I use the same headphones and microphone on my backup system, Skype, without trouble), as well as resetting my router and computer.

If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to provide other information such as context and screenshots.

Kind regards Grant G Ecsplicite Training.



_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linphone bug

Stuart D. Gathman
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018, Grant Griesel wrote:

> I have done the basic troubleshooting of switching  microphone and
> headphones(I'm fairly confident this is not the problem as I use the same
> headphones and microphone on my backup system, Skype, without trouble), as
> well as resetting my router and computer.
>
> If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated and I would be
> happy to provide other information such as context and screenshots.

Have you tried switching services?  Can you use an echo-test service?
(There are various free ones, linphone.org probably has one, I know
ekiga.net does if you register.)

Also, the intermittent nature of your problem screams to me "NAT firewall
issue".  Personally, I use linphone in peer to peer mode with Cjdns.
All those NAT issue are so last century.  You just have to swear off
IPv4 just like you have to delete your facebook.  It's ok to use IPv4 as a
switching matrix to connect to IPv6 or IPv6 mesh networks (like Cjdns).

--
       Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>
"Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - background song for
a Microsoft sponsored "Where do you want to go from here?" commercial.
_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linphone bug

Grant Griesel
Hi Stuart,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I will be honest, much of what you said required a google but I think I have understood.

> Have you tried switching services?  
>>> I have switched to Skype through my PC and I am able to make calls without trouble. I have also used a different VOIP system called Keyyo through an old Macbook using the same internet connection without trouble.

> Can you use an echo-test service?
>>> I can use one and have done so without a problem.

>the intermittent nature of your problem screams to me "NAT firewall
issue".
>>> I went into my router and found "NAT virtual server set up". There was a server set up under the name Whatsapp... I removed this and disabled NAT and I will run a few tests making calls tomorrow to see if there is any success.
In addition I checked the settings on Linphone and within the "settings" menu under "network settings" there are four options at the bottom of the menu page;
'direct connection to the internet'
'Behind NAT/Firewall (specify gateway IP)'
' Behind NAT/Firewall(use STUN to resolve)'
' Behind NAT/Firewall(use ICE)'

Currently " 'direct connection to the internet' is selected and I have not changed this. Should I change it?

> You just have to swear off IPv4 just like you have to delete your Facebook
>>>In the same "network settings" section mentioned above there is an option to tick "Allow IPv6". In the spirit of a process of elimination I will not select this option until I have tested the effect of changing the router, but it will be my next port of call. 

Thanks again in advance for you help, as well as the sage wisdom about deleting Facebook. 
Kind regards Grant Griesel.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 19:24, Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018, Grant Griesel wrote:

> I have done the basic troubleshooting of switching  microphone and
> headphones(I'm fairly confident this is not the problem as I use the same
> headphones and microphone on my backup system, Skype, without trouble), as
> well as resetting my router and computer.
>
> If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated and I would be
> happy to provide other information such as context and screenshots.

Have you tried switching services?  Can you use an echo-test service?
(There are various free ones, linphone.org probably has one, I know
ekiga.net does if you register.)

Also, the intermittent nature of your problem screams to me "NAT firewall
issue".  Personally, I use linphone in peer to peer mode with Cjdns.
All those NAT issue are so last century.  You just have to swear off
IPv4 just like you have to delete your facebook.  It's ok to use IPv4 as a
switching matrix to connect to IPv6 or IPv6 mesh networks (like Cjdns).

--
              Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]>
"Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - background song for
a Microsoft sponsored "Where do you want to go from here?" commercial._______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users

_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linphone bug

Stuart D. Gathman


On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Grant Griesel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks so much for your reply.
I will be honest, much of what you said required a google but I think I have understood.

> Have you tried switching services?   
>>> I have switched to Skype through my PC and I am able to make calls without trouble. I have also used a different VOIP system called Keyyo through an old Macbook using the same internet connection without trouble.

No, you need to try a different SIP service with your failing device to see whether it is linphone or your service that is failing  (you have already eliminated hardware by trying skype on the same device - although that is not SIP).  For instance, you can register with ekiga.net (if they are still working), or add your Keyyo account to linphone (assuming Keyyo is SIP).


> Can you use an echo-test service?
>>> I can use one and have done so without a problem.


Assuming you did the echo-test with linphone, then that indicates that linphone is not problem.  However, if the echo-test was provided by the same SIP service that is giving you problems, then the result is more ambiguous.


>the intermittent nature of your problem screams to me "NAT firewall
issue".
>>> I went into my router and found "NAT virtual server set up". There was a server set up under the name Whatsapp... I removed this and disabled NAT and I will run a few tests making calls tomorrow to see if there is any success.
In addition I checked the settings on Linphone and within the "settings" menu under "network settings" there are four options at the bottom of the menu page;
'direct connection to the internet'
'Behind NAT/Firewall (specify gateway IP)'
' Behind NAT/Firewall(use STUN to resolve)'
' Behind NAT/Firewall(use ICE)'

Currently " 'direct connection to the internet' is selected and I have not changed this. Should I change it? 

That all depends on whether you have a direct connection to the internet.  :-)   Does the IP address of your device look like 192.168.*.* or 172.16.*.* or 10.*.*.* ?  If so, then you do not have a direct connection.   You are going to have to provide more details.  You should at least let us know what SIP service you are trying to use.

By "NAT firewall", I mean't an external firewall, like a home router.  Often, these will set up a "session" when you first connect out, that then times out at an inopportune time.  NAT is evil.  IPv4 is obsolete for 15 years.


> You just have to swear off IPv4 just like you have to delete your Facebook
>>>In the same "network settings" section mentioned above there is an option to tick "Allow IPv6". In the spirit of a process of elimination I will not select this option until I have tested the effect of changing the router, but it will be my next port of call. 

It will not help you to make calls through a centralized SIP service (like your are apparently using now).  And it will not work at all until you actually have IPv6.
  
The purpose of IPv6 is to allow direct peer to peer SIP calls (and emails, and innumerable other decentralized protocols), with no NAT, so that no centralized service is needed. &nb! sp;If you have a fixed IPv6 address, then you can use that like a phonenumber with linphone (assuming parties you wish to call can also be educated on peer to peer).  For instance, if your login is "griesel" and your IPv6 address is 2001:db8::1234, then you receive peer to peer calls at sip:grieser@[2001:db8::1234] without registering with any service or server.  These can be added to the address book just like ancient phone numbers.  (You can alse give names to your IPv6 via DNS, but that is another topic.)  Even if you still need to use a service to connect to the 100 years obsolete telco system (or prisoners in IPv4 NAT jail), making peer to peer calls is a valuable test to narrow down problems.  If you have other devices with peer to peer capable SIP software on the same LAN, you can test peer to peer calls using your private IP.  E.g. call sip:grieser@192.168.1.245  from another SIP capable device if your PC address is 192.168.1.245. !   That will only work within the LAN, of course.

_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linphone bug

Grant Griesel
Hi Stuart,

Again thanks very much for the reply.
I apologize if I am source of frustration through not giving enough information, but I am a simple English teacher trying to find a solution that my direct tech support seem unwilling or unable to assist with, I am effectively going over their heads to find a solution. We can speak at length about irregular past participles, however IPv6/4 is outside of my wheel house and it could lead to many misunderstandings, so again apologies in advance.

Context:
The company I sub-contract for requires me to  make calls from my home office in Cape Town in South Africa to various mobile and landline numbers in France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. To this end they have provided the Keyyo system which is a French company who offer the KeyyoPhone application. In the instances where KeyyoPhone cannot be loaded onto a computer (which appears to be the case for my computer) we are given the Linphone application to connect using an SIP line that comes from Keyyo. Here is the number of my line with a few place holders. [hidden email].

I have been using the Linphone application for 18 months with virtually no problems up until this month. I really like the Linphone UI and have found it very light on resources so my ideal preference is managing some kind of silicon time travel to go back to the good ol' days 3 weeks ago. 

On my Macbook I have downloaded and installed the Keyyophone app and it works well using the same LAN, however this computer is 8 years old and the 'probability of failure' curve gets steeper with use, thus me searching for a solution to get back to using my primary PC.
I can ask the IT team at my customer to help set up Linphone on my Mac for testing purposes although my interactions with them have never been as fruitful as the two emails we have exchanged. 

In Response to questions:

The echo test is provided by Keyyo and tests the Keyyo line. I guess this makes it more ambiguous?

I may well be locked into an IPv4 prison although I am pretty sure that I have a direct connection to the internet. I have attached a screen shot of my network settings as confirmation. I'm not sure what the limits are in terms of South African infrastructure, however I have an ADSL line provided by a telecoms company through a phone line. I get +- 9.8MB/s D/L and a shameful 0.8MB/s U/L and until fiber rolls out this is the best package available to me. 

   If you have other devices with peer to peer capable SIP software on the same LAN, you can test peer to peer calls using your private IP.  E.g. call [hidden email]  from another SIP capable device if your PC address is 192.168.1.245. !   That will only work within the LAN, of course.
                            I did not do this, mostly because I did not understand. I did however make a call from my mac using Keyyo to Linphone on  my PC (screenshot attached) This worked well. I then made a call from my PC to my Mac and again the call went well (screen shot attached). I hope this was not a useless test.

I have also taken a few screen shots of the settings menus in Linphone in case this provides some more of the information that you need.

I appreciate your time and effort

Regards Grant G

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 05:22, Stuart D. Gathman <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Grant Griesel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks so much for your reply.
I will be honest, much of what you said required a google but I think I have understood.

> Have you tried switching services?   
>>> I have switched to Skype through my PC and I am able to make calls without trouble. I have also used a different VOIP system called Keyyo through an old Macbook using the same internet connection without trouble.

No, you need to try a different SIP service with your failing device to see whether it is linphone or your service that is failing  (you have already eliminated hardware by trying skype on the same device - although that is not SIP).  For instance, you can register with ekiga.net (if they are still working), or add your Keyyo account to linphone (assuming Keyyo is SIP).


> Can you use an echo-test service?
>>> I can use one and have done so without a problem.


Assuming you did the echo-test with linphone, then that indicates that linphone is not problem.  However, if the echo-test was provided by the same SIP service that is giving you problems, then the result is more ambiguous.


>the intermittent nature of your problem screams to me "NAT firewall
issue".
>>> I went into my router and found "NAT virtual server set up". There was a server set up under the name Whatsapp... I removed this and disabled NAT and I will run a few tests making calls tomorrow to see if there is any success.
In addition I checked the settings on Linphone and within the "settings" menu under "network settings" there are four options at the bottom of the menu page;
'direct connection to the internet'
'Behind NAT/Firewall (specify gateway IP)'
' Behind NAT/Firewall(use STUN to resolve)'
' Behind NAT/Firewall(use ICE)'

Currently " 'direct connection to the internet' is selected and I have not changed this. Should I change it? 

That all depends on whether you have a direct connection to the internet.  :-)   Does the IP address of your device look like 192.168.*.* or 172.16.*.* or 10.*.*.* ?  If so, then you do not have a direct connection.   You are going to have to provide more details.  You should at least let us know what SIP service you are trying to use.

By "NAT firewall", I mean't an external firewall, like a home router.  Often, these will set up a "session" when you first connect out, that then times out at an inopportune time.  NAT is evil.  IPv4 is obsolete for 15 years.


> You just have to swear off IPv4 just like you have to delete your Facebook
>>>In the same "network settings" section mentioned above there is an option to tick "Allow IPv6". In the spirit of a process of elimination I will not select this option until I have tested the effect of changing the router, but it will be my next port of call. 

It will not help you to make calls through a centralized SIP service (like your are apparently using now).  And it will not work at all until you actually have IPv6.
  
The purpose of IPv6 is to allow direct peer to peer SIP calls (and emails, and innumerable other decentralized protocols), with no NAT, so that no centralized service is needed. &nb! sp;If you have a fixed IPv6 address, then you can use that like a phonenumber with linphone (assuming parties you wish to call can also be educated on peer to peer).  For instance, if your login is "griesel" and your IPv6 address is 2001:db8::1234, then you receive peer to peer calls at sip:grieser@[2001:db8::1234] without registering with any service or server.  These can be added to the address book just like ancient phone numbers.  (You can alse give names to your IPv6 via DNS, but that is another topic.)  Even if you still need to use a service to connect to the 100 years obsolete telco system (or prisoners in IPv4 NAT jail), making peer to peer calls is a valuable test to narrow down problems.  If you have other devices with peer to peer capable SIP software on the same LAN, you can test peer to peer calls using your private IP.  E.g. call [hidden email]  from another SIP capable device if your PC address is 192.168.1.245. !   That will only work within the LAN, of course.
_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users

_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users

Screenshot (28).png (78K) Download Attachment
Screenshot (29).png (122K) Download Attachment
Screenshot (33).png (104K) Download Attachment
Screenshot (32).png (126K) Download Attachment
Screenshot (31).png (124K) Download Attachment
Screenshot (30).png (116K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linphone bug

Luca Olivetti-3
El 23/10/18 a les 9:25, Grant Griesel ha escrit:

> *Context:*
> The company I sub-contract for requires me to  make calls from my home
> office in Cape Town in South Africa to various mobile and landline
> numbers in France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. To this end they have
> provided the Keyyo system which is a French company who offer the
> KeyyoPhone application. In the instances where KeyyoPhone cannot be
> loaded onto a computer (which appears to be the case for my computer) we
> are given the Linphone application to connect using an SIP line that
> comes from Keyyo. Here is the number of my line with a few place
> holders. sip:[hidden email] <mailto:sip%[hidden email]>.


Here are the parameters you should use:


http://docs.keyyo.com/telephonie-fixe/expert/parametres-sip/

I'm not currently using linphone so I don't know how those translate to
linphone's settings, but maybe somebody on the list can help you.

--
Luca

_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linphone bug

Grant Griesel
Dear Luca Olivetti,

You reply is much appreciated. I will take a look at the document to see what I can make of it.
Thanks Grant G

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 10:30, Luca Olivetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
El 23/10/18 a les 9:25, Grant Griesel ha escrit:

> *Context:*
> The company I sub-contract for requires me to  make calls from my home
> office in Cape Town in South Africa to various mobile and landline
> numbers in France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. To this end they have
> provided the Keyyo system which is a French company who offer the
> KeyyoPhone application. In the instances where KeyyoPhone cannot be
> loaded onto a computer (which appears to be the case for my computer) we
> are given the Linphone application to connect using an SIP line that
> comes from Keyyo. Here is the number of my line with a few place
> holders. [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>.


Here are the parameters you should use:


http://docs.keyyo.com/telephonie-fixe/expert/parametres-sip/

I'm not currently using linphone so I don't know how those translate to
linphone's settings, but maybe somebody on the list can help you.

--
Luca

_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users

_______________________________________________
Linphone-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/linphone-users