Local Alerts?

Bujak,Christopher
Forgive me if this has been covered before, I could not find it in the archives.

I’m testing an install of monit (linux x64 v5.12.1) and i’m running into an issue with alerting.

I would like to set a local alert for a specific service. I follow the instructions at http://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#ALERT-MESSAGES for the local alert.
When I test the config with monit -t I get a syntax error.

below is the check process line I have that is causing the error:
check process apache with pidfile /var/run/httpd/httpd.pid
# start "/etc/init.d/httpd start"
# stop  "/etc/init.d/httpd stop"
        if failed host <hostname> port 8080
          protocol apache-status  replylimit > 75%
          then alert [hidden email] with reminder on 10 cycles

The error is:
/etc/monit.d/apache.mon:8: syntax error '[hidden email]

I’d like to tailor my alerts so that certain people get alerts for certain services.
Commenting everything out after the alert command will work, but send to the global alert address

Additionally is there a method to have some sort of hierarchy for the alerts?
So User1 gets alerted on initial failure, and every 10 minutes. User2 gets alert after 15 minutes of down state, User3 gets alert after 30 minutes.
I was thinking that you could put and if in the then portion of the check
something like
check…
if failed
then
alert User1
if failed for 15 cycles alert User2
if failed for 30 cycles alert User3

-Chris Bujak
Administrator of IT Services
LeBow College of Business
Drexel University
3141 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Main Tech Support: 215.895.2113
Direct: 215.895.4945
Fax: 215.895.6942
lebow.drexel.edu

Re: Local Alerts?

martinp@tildeslash.com
The alert "recipient" definition is independent of alert "action". The correct syntax is:

check process apache with pidfile /var/run/httpd/httpd.pid
       if failed host <hostname> port 8080 protocol apache-status  replylimit > 75% then alert   # test definition (uses alert action)
       alert [hidden email] with reminder on 10 cycles   # recipient definition

Regards,
Martin