Logging In--SIP Server Account

Mark Shields
Hello.

I joined as a user of the Linphone SIP server. So far I haven't been able to make anything work, not even logging in to find out more about the server, especially how to configure things.

When I try to log in, there is a place for my username and password. That is understandable. But then there is a place for phone number. I don't know what phone number to use, or what form to put it in (prefixes?).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark S.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Re: Logging In--SIP Server Account

Greg Troxel
"Mark Shields" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I joined as a user of the Linphone SIP server. So far I haven't been
> able to make anything work, not even logging in to find out more about
> the server, especially how to configure things.

I had some problems and reported them a while ago (using a non-linphone
client, and the A record host did not work, breaking clients that don't
use SRV, I think).  I believe that I did not get any response.

> When I try to log in, there is a place for my username and
> password. That is understandable. But then there is a place for phone
> number. I don't know what phone number to use, or what form to put it
> in (prefixes?).

You didn't specify what "try to log in" means.  If you mean from the
linphone android app, then I think there is some notion that the authors
think that you will wish to register a phone number in some global phone
to sip addr registry so that others who dial your phone number will
instead connect via SIP.   I can certainly see that as a useful feature,
but I don't understand why it's presented as an apparently required
step (even though skipping it seems to be fine).