Mapping the idiosyncrasies of building the OpenSSL egg on many operating systems

Mapping the idiosyncrasies of building the OpenSSL egg on many operating systems

Lassi Kortela
I investigated how to get openssl working on all the major BSD-derived
operating systems. Here are the results:
<https://misc.lassi.io/2019/chicken-openssl/chicken-openssl-pkg-config.text>

The shell script used and the build logs I got are here:
<https://misc.lassi.io/2019/chicken-openssl/>

Only the OpenBSD-packaged version of chicken-install (4.13.0) shows
compiler warnings. It's also the only chicken-install I have that
advertises in its help screen that it has a "-debug" flag (which I
enabled for the build). Is there an equivalent flag to show compiler
stuff in the never versions? The -verbose flag doesn't seem to do it.

Adding some flag(s) to chicken-install to easily get (mostly)
reproducible builds would be a big help for testing like this. Currently
I do "chicken-install; chicken-uninstall; chicken-install". The first
install to ensure that all dependencies are installed; then uninstall to
remove the package itself but keep all its dependencies installed; then
the third install to get the build output from installing the package
but not its dependencies. In 5.x versions, would

     chicken-install -no-install -no-install-dependencies -purge openssl

do the trick?

Re: Mapping the idiosyncrasies of building the OpenSSL egg on many operating systems

felix.winkelmann
> I investigated how to get openssl working on all the major BSD-derived
> operating systems. Here are the results:
> <https://misc.lassi.io/2019/chicken-openssl/chicken-openssl-pkg-config..text>

Thanks for this very useful information! We should put this somewhere for
later reference.

> Only the OpenBSD-packaged version of chicken-install (4.13.0) shows
> compiler warnings. It's also the only chicken-install I have that
> advertises in its help screen that it has a "-debug" flag (which I
> enabled for the build). Is there an equivalent flag to show compiler
> stuff in the never versions? The -verbose flag doesn't seem to do it.

No, there is no -debug option in 5.x, -verbose is all there is, but the
build + install scripts are available and may be of use for analyzing
the exact build steps.

> Adding some flag(s) to chicken-install to easily get (mostly)
> reproducible builds would be a big help for testing like this. Currently
> I do "chicken-install; chicken-uninstall; chicken-install". The first
> install to ensure that all dependencies are installed; then uninstall to
> remove the package itself but keep all its dependencies installed; then
> the third install to get the build output from installing the package
> but not its dependencies. In 5.x versions, would
>
>      chicken-install -no-install -no-install-dependencies -purge openssl
>
> do the trick?

Yes, if all dependencies are already available and installed. "-purge" is a
separate operation and can not be combined with the step of installing
an egg. "-no-install" will leave the build results in the cache, so you have
to peel what you need out of that location.

felix