Migrating from rsync to rdiff-backup

Piotr Nowacki
Hi,
I have been using rsync to copy data between remote sites,
so I have most of my data already copied.
Is there any way to create rdiff-backup metadata of existing bacup
done wiyh rsync, and then to continue using rdiff-backup to make
differentail backups.
The problem is amount of data (over 30GB) over slow and unreliable adsl link.
Regards
Piotr

Re: Migrating from rsync to rdiff-backup

halfgaar
Piotr Nowacki wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been using rsync to copy data between remote sites,
> so I have most of my data already copied.
> Is there any way to create rdiff-backup metadata of existing bacup
> done wiyh rsync, and then to continue using rdiff-backup to make
> differentail backups.
> The problem is amount of data (over 30GB) over slow and unreliable adsl link.
> Regards
> Piotr

There is no standard way, but what you could do is run rdiff-backup on the
destination machine, to make a backup of the rsync-archive to another location
on the same machine. When that's done, you should be able to run rdiff-backup
from the source-machine to the newly created rdiff-backup archive.

Re: Migrating from rsync to rdiff-backup

dean gaudet-4
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Piotr Nowacki wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been using rsync to copy data between remote sites,
> so I have most of my data already copied.
> Is there any way to create rdiff-backup metadata of existing bacup
> done wiyh rsync, and then to continue using rdiff-backup to make
> differentail backups.
> The problem is amount of data (over 30GB) over slow and unreliable adsl link.

yeah -- just use --force the first time you try to rdiff-backup to your
existing rsync backup.  (you won't need --force after this first time)

-dean