Minimum phone number length in "Link your account"

Minimum phone number length in "Link your account"

Lupe Christoph
Hi!

I just installed Linphone on my Android phone. Nice App, I must say.

BUT! I almost immediately ran into my first bug. The "Link your account"
assistant requires a minimum phone number of 10 digits. I still have
numbers that are only eight digits long, four digits area code and four
digits extension. This looks like an "outguessing the user" bug...

I have found no bug tracker, so I'll hope that somebody can pick this up
from the -users mailing list.

Lupe Christoph
--
| Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only          |
| thing that make life bearable.                                               |

Re: Minimum phone number length in "Link your account"

Greg Troxel
Lupe Christoph <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I just installed Linphone on my Android phone. Nice App, I must say.
>
> BUT! I almost immediately ran into my first bug. The "Link your account"
> assistant requires a minimum phone number of 10 digits. I still have
> numbers that are only eight digits long, four digits area code and four
> digits extension. This looks like an "outguessing the user" bug...

I think it's looking for a global phone number, including country code.
It sounds like you are doing something else.

> I have found no bug tracker, so I'll hope that somebody can pick this up
> from the -users mailing list.

You also found the bug that "link your account" doesn't really clearly
explain what it is doing, and that it is or at least used to be somewhat
hard to say "no, I don't want to do this" and not get asked again :-)

On Wednesday, 2019-07-31 at 09:53:46 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Lupe Christoph <[hidden email]> writes:

> > I just installed Linphone on my Android phone. Nice App, I must say.

> > BUT! I almost immediately ran into my first bug. The "Link your account"
> > assistant requires a minimum phone number of 10 digits. I still have
> > numbers that are only eight digits long, four digits area code and four
> > digits extension. This looks like an "outguessing the user" bug...

> I think it's looking for a global phone number, including country code.
> It sounds like you are doing something else.

Nope, in that assistant you select your country, and it fills in the
country code. In my case, that was correctly (Germany, +49). It looks
like the assistant needs a little love. It is not possible to change the
country, there is a page for that, but it's a "Hotel California" page
("... you can never leave.").

> > I have found no bug tracker, so I'll hope that somebody can pick this up
> > from the -users mailing list.

> You also found the bug that "link your account" doesn't really clearly
> explain what it is doing, and that it is or at least used to be somewhat
> hard to say "no, I don't want to do this" and not get asked again :-)

Yes, indeed. I can set the outgoing phone number in the provider
website, so I don't need to tell the app about it.

So, for now, I'll just ignore the crippled assistant.

Thanks,
Lupe Christoph
--
| Being human totally sucks most of the time. Videogames are the only          |
| thing that make life bearable.                                               |
| -- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2                                  |
| Ready Player One, Ernest Cline                                               |

Re: Minimum phone number length in "Link your account"

Greg Troxel
Lupe Christoph <[hidden email]> writes:

>> You also found the bug that "link your account" doesn't really clearly
>> explain what it is doing, and that it is or at least used to be somewhat
>> hard to say "no, I don't want to do this" and not get asked again :-)
>
> Yes, indeed. I can set the outgoing phone number in the provider
> website, so I don't need to tell the app about it.

I think it's about entering a lookup from phone number to sip address in
some dns-accessible lookaside database to allow people to divert calls
from PSTN to SIP.  But I'm not really sure.

> So, for now, I'll just ignore the crippled assistant.

Good plan!