Missing info from rdiff man page

Aaron Miller
Hello,

I found the man page for rdiff to be confusing. In particular, it
isn't clear how to make a diff or how to apply that diff. It
mentions signature files and basis files without explaining what
they are. It would have helped me immensely if I saw this in the
man page:

To make a delta file between original.bin and updated.bin:

    rdiff signature original.bin original.bin.sig
    rdiff delta original.bin.sig updated.bin updated.bin.delta
    #rm updated.bin

To restore updated.bin using original.bin and updated.bin.delta
(this assumes the file updated.bin is now absent):

    rdiff patch original.bin updated.bin.delta updated.bin

I saw this with rdiff (librsync 2.0.2). Please let me know if this
has already been fixed, or if I reported this in the wrong place.

Thanks!

Aaron Miller

Re: Missing info from rdiff man page

Frank Crawford
Aaron,

On Mon, 2019-11-11 at 13:28 -0800, Aaron Miller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found the man page for rdiff to be confusing. In particular, it
> isn't clear how to make a diff or how to apply that diff. It
> mentions signature files and basis files without explaining what
> they are. It would have helped me immensely if I saw this in the
> man page:
>
> To make a delta file between original.bin and updated.bin:
>
>     rdiff signature original.bin original.bin.sig
>     rdiff delta original.bin.sig updated.bin updated.bin.delta
>     #rm updated.bin
>
> To restore updated.bin using original.bin and updated.bin.delta
> (this assumes the file updated.bin is now absent):
>
>     rdiff patch original.bin updated.bin.delta updated.bin
>
> I saw this with rdiff (librsync 2.0.2). Please let me know if this
> has already been fixed, or if I reported this in the wrong place.

Unfortunately this is the wrong place.  This mailing list is for the
utility rdiff-backup, which is a backup utility that uses rdiff, or
more correctly librsync, to take backup and especially space efficient
incremental backups.

> Thanks!
>
> Aaron Miller

Regards