Monit several IPs

Guillaume François
Hello,

We have Monit running on a host with several IPs.

When sending email, we have to use one "whitelisted" IP instead of other.

In the documentation, the HOSTNAME option of the MAILSERVER option allows to set the hostname used in SMTP HELO/EHLO and in the Message-ID header.

Unfortunately, we didn't found any options regarding the "source ip" to use to connect to SMTP server.

Is there any plan to add such functionality ?

First for MAILSERVER then maybe also for other checks ?

Best Regards,
Guillaume

Re: Monit several IPs

Roose, Marco
Hi Guillaume, I think you have to manage this with network routing. Seting a dedicated route to the smtp server should do the Job.

Kind regards,
Marco Roose

> Am 26.03.2018 um 18:56 schrieb Guillaume François <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> We have Monit running on a host with several IPs.
>
> When sending email, we have to use one "whitelisted" IP instead of other.
>
> In the documentation, the HOSTNAME option of the MAILSERVER option allows to set the hostname used in SMTP HELO/EHLO and in the Message-ID header.
>
> Unfortunately, we didn't found any options regarding the "source ip" to use to connect to SMTP server.
>
> Is there any plan to add such functionality ?
>
> First for MAILSERVER then maybe also for other checks ?
>
> Best Regards,
> Guillaume

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Monit several IPs

Tino Hendricks
… or via the MTA.
e.g. with Postfix, enter in /etc/postfix/transport something like

my.final.domain.for.monitmails.com smtp:the.relay.or.mail.host

Cheers!

Tino

> Am 26.03.2018 um 20:26 schrieb Roose, Marco <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Guillaume, I think you have to manage this with network routing. Seting a dedicated route to the smtp server should do the Job.
>
> Kind regards,
> Marco Roose
>

>> Am 26.03.2018 um 18:56 schrieb Guillaume François <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have Monit running on a host with several IPs.
>>
>> When sending email, we have to use one "whitelisted" IP instead of other.
>>
>> In the documentation, the HOSTNAME option of the MAILSERVER option allows to set the hostname used in SMTP HELO/EHLO and in the Message-ID header.
>>
>> Unfortunately, we didn't found any options regarding the "source ip" to use to connect to SMTP server.
>>
>> Is there any plan to add such functionality ?
>>
>> First for MAILSERVER then maybe also for other checks ?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Guillaume

Re: Monit several IPs

Guillaume François
Thanks for answer but both solutions cannot help as:
  • The route table already have a route to the second IP as it is floating IP which is bound to the host. So traffic coming to the floating IP as to get back through the floating IP
  • Postfix is screen-walled by HAProxy and cannot be adapted.
  • Monit would have to attack floating IP range from static IP instead from any locally bound floating IP
    • It would trigger a external network overhead instead of staying at the host network stack level but we don't care here.