Multiple databases

Hendrik Boom-2
Through some kind of incompetence, I seem to have ended up after years
of use with multiple monotone databases with the same name.  I don't
even know if their histories are compatible or whether they have nothing
at all to do with each  other.  Desiring to have only one (except for
sync-style redundance), and that one being valid and up-to-date, I'm
going to have to examine them to see what's in them, and how they
differ.

What tools or practices would expedite this endeavour?

-- hendrik

Re: Multiple databases

Hendrik Boom-2
On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 08:15:06PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> Through some kind of incompetence, I seem to have ended up after years
> of use with multiple monotone databases with the same name.  I don't
> even know if their histories are compatible or whether they have nothing
> at all to do with each  other.  Desiring to have only one (except for
> sync-style redundance), and that one being valid and up-to-date, I'm
> going to have to examine them to see what's in them, and how they
> differ.
>
> What tools or practices would expedite this endeavour?

Or should I just make copies of all of them (backup in case of
stupidity) and sync in the hope that they aren't all that different and
monotone will sort it all out?

What would happen then if they are indeed independent databases that
by unfortunate happenstance got the same name?

-- hendrik

Re: Multiple databases

Brian May-11
Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:

> Through some kind of incompetence, I seem to have ended up after years
> of use with multiple monotone databases with the same name.  I don't
> even know if their histories are compatible or whether they have nothing
> at all to do with each  other.  Desiring to have only one (except for
> sync-style redundance), and that one being valid and up-to-date, I'm
> going to have to examine them to see what's in them, and how they
> differ.

First steps would probably be listing the branches (see if that helps
you) and checking out the repositories.

Sorry, been ages since I last used monotone. I can't remember the
commands to do this.
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: Multiple databases

Lapo Luchini
Brian May wrote:

> Hendrik Boom <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Through some kind of incompetence, I seem to have ended up after years
>> of use with multiple monotone databases with the same name.  I don't
>> even know if their histories are compatible or whether they have nothing
>> at all to do with each  other.  Desiring to have only one (except for
>> sync-style redundance), and that one being valid and up-to-date, I'm
>> going to have to examine them to see what's in them, and how they
>> differ.
>
> First steps would probably be listing the branches (see if that helps
> you) and checking out the repositories.

Yup, first check branches, then simply "sync" them… the name of the DB
doesn't really matter, it's the name of the branch that matters "more",
but even having duplicate branch names shouldn't be a big issue (I'm not
sure about that) because it's graph that matters, not branches (that are
simply tags on the nodes).

$ mtn -d test1.mtn ls branches
it.lapo.test
$ mtn -d old.mtn ls branches
mtn: misuse: database '/home/lapo/t/orig.mtn' is laid out according to
an old schema.
mtn: misuse: Try 'mtn db migrate' to upgrade
mtn: misuse: (this is irreversible; you may want to make a backup copy
first)
$ mtn -d old.mtn db migrate
$ mtn -d old.mtn ls branches
it.lapo.test
% mtn -d test1.mtn pull 'file:///home/lapo/t/old.mtn?*'

Now test1.mtn will contain all of the changes from "old.mtn" too.

--
Lapo Luchini - http://lapo.it/