Multitouch in StumpWM

Alexander Popolitov
Hello everyone,

I've recently bought x86 tablet and managed to run on it linux + SBCL +
StumpWM just fine.
However, interaction still heavily relies on keyboard, and I want to
make it, somewhat useable in 'touchscreen-only' mode)
I've quickly hacked https://github.com/mabragor/stump-touchy-mode-line,
which, together with TouchEgg launched
at startup, makes the whole setup useable.

So now I'm aimed at proper multitouch support within StumpWM, so the
question is: is anybody interested in this
other than me?

Best regards,
Alex

On 12/06/2013 10:12 PM, J. David Smith wrote:
I am. I have a tablet that I've looked at converting into a mini linux box and was wondering if a solution like this existed.

So now I've read through Peter Hutterer's blog, where he explains, how to get multitouch events from C code, but I'm rather confused.
As far as I understand, StumpWM listens to events from X server using CLX library, and then dispatches those events to opened windows.
From that I'd expect, that CLX would be heavily using FFI's to call C-functions, but the only C-related code there seems to be in the socket.c file.
And absence of touch* events in CLX's DECLARE-EVENT macros seems to indicate, that there's no multitouch support already in CLX.

So:
1) does event-dispatching indeed occur like this (X server -> StumpWM -> windows), or windows receive events somehow directly from X?
2) How does CLX manage to avoid all this fuss with FFI-ying bunch of C-functions? Perhaps, it's using some yet more lower-level API?

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Alexander Popolitov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've recently bought x86 tablet and managed to run on it linux + SBCL + StumpWM just fine.
However, interaction still heavily relies on keyboard, and I want to make it, somewhat useable in 'touchscreen-only' mode)
I've quickly hacked https://github.com/mabragor/stump-touchy-mode-line, which, together with TouchEgg launched
at startup, makes the whole setup useable.

So now I'm aimed at proper multitouch support within StumpWM, so the question is: is anybody interested in this
other than me?

Best regards,
Alex

Re: Multitouch in StumpWM

z_axis
BTW, Can x86 tablet run FreeBSD ?

在 Sat, 07 Dec 2013 06:38:50 +0800,Alexander Popolitov
<[hidden email]> 写道:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've recently bought x86 tablet and managed to run on it linux + SBCL +
> StumpWM just fine.
> However, interaction still heavily relies on keyboard, and I want to
> make it, somewhat useable in 'touchscreen-only' mode)
> I've quickly hacked https://github.com/mabragor/stump-touchy-mode-line,
> which, together with TouchEgg launched
> at startup, makes the whole setup useable.
>
> So now I'm aimed at proper multitouch support within StumpWM, so the
> question is: is anybody interested in this
> other than me?
>
> Best regards,
> Alex

使用 Opera 革命性的电子邮件客户程序: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: Multitouch in StumpWM

Bernard Hurley-2
On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 10:38:50PM +0000, Alexander Popolitov wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've recently bought x86 tablet and managed to run on it linux +
> SBCL + StumpWM just fine.
> However, interaction still heavily relies on keyboard, and I want to
> make it, somewhat useable in 'touchscreen-only' mode)
> I've quickly hacked
> https://github.com/mabragor/stump-touchy-mode-line, which, together
> with TouchEgg launched
> at startup, makes the whole setup useable.
>
> So now I'm aimed at proper multitouch support within StumpWM, so the
> question is: is anybody interested in this
> other than me?

Definitely!!!!

Regards,

Bernard.

Re: Multitouch in StumpWM

Felix Lange-3

> 2) How does CLX manage to avoid all this fuss with FFI-ying bunch of C-functions? Perhaps, it's using some yet more lower-level API?

CLX does not need to rely on libX11 because it implements the X protocol in Common Lisp. The C code is there because socket APIs differ so much between lisp implementations.

So you'd probably have to add touch support to CLX if you want to do this properly.

Re: Multitouch in StumpWM

Shawn Betts-3
Hi Alex,

Are you talking about this:

http://who-t.blogspot.ca/2011/12/multitouch-in-x-getting-events.html

If so then what you need to do is implement the X Input 2.2 extension
in CLX. It might not actually be all that hard. Hell, maybe someone
has already done it?

The X protocol is just bits and bytes sent over a socket. So anything
can implement the protocol and be an X client. That's what CLX does.
It implements the protocol from the ground up in Lisp. For better or
worse that means you can't just piggyback off all the work done in C
and write a little FFI code to get access to the functionality.

Anyway, if you have the time and energy it might be a lot of fun to
implement XInput in CLX. You'd probably get a warm round of applause
from the lisp community.

-Shawn

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Alexander Popolitov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/06/2013 10:12 PM, J. David Smith wrote:
>
> I am. I have a tablet that I've looked at converting into a mini linux box
> and was wondering if a solution like this existed.
>
> So now I've read through Peter Hutterer's blog, where he explains, how to
> get multitouch events from C code, but I'm rather confused.
> As far as I understand, StumpWM listens to events from X server using CLX
> library, and then dispatches those events to opened windows.
> From that I'd expect, that CLX would be heavily using FFI's to call
> C-functions, but the only C-related code there seems to be in the socket.c
> file.
> And absence of touch* events in CLX's DECLARE-EVENT macros seems to
> indicate, that there's no multitouch support already in CLX.
>
> So:
> 1) does event-dispatching indeed occur like this (X server -> StumpWM ->
> windows), or windows receive events somehow directly from X?
> 2) How does CLX manage to avoid all this fuss with FFI-ying bunch of
> C-functions? Perhaps, it's using some yet more lower-level API?
>

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Alexander Popolitov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I've recently bought x86 tablet and managed to run on it linux + SBCL +
>> StumpWM just fine.
>> However, interaction still heavily relies on keyboard, and I want to make
>> it, somewhat useable in 'touchscreen-only' mode)
>> I've quickly hacked https://github.com/mabragor/stump-touchy-mode-line,
>> which, together with TouchEgg launched
>> at startup, makes the whole setup useable.
>>
>> So now I'm aimed at proper multitouch support within StumpWM, so the
>> question is: is anybody interested in this
>> other than me?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Alex

Re: Multitouch in StumpWM

Alexander Popolitov
Yes, I was talking about this series of posts.
So, I think, it is indeed a good idea to start implementing XInput in
CLX and see, where this will lead.
Obviously, grabs on devices are the way to muffle events intended for
other windows,
I hope, I'll find a way to inject new events as I'll get more familiar
with XInput.

Thank you very much,
Alex