NFS question

tech1
Hi,

I am new to Rdiff-Backup.  I am wanting to use rdiff to backup several linux servers to one linux backup server.
I may also want to backup Windows computers with rdiff at some point in time.  I am trying to keep from having
to install rdiff on each machine.  All machines will be on the same local network.
If I use NFS to mount each server to be backed up to the backup server, will that work.  I am pretty new to
all of this, but I did try a few test with a couple of NFS mounts will smaller directories (about 1 gig) and it seemed
to work fine.  If someone has another way to do it (without installing rdiff on each machine) please let me know.
Also I am looking for a GUI  or web interface to use with it. I found this one:
Can anyone recommend it or another one.
Thanks for any comments,
Bill

Re: NFS question

Keith Edmunds
tech1 wrote:
> If I use NFS to mount each server to be backed up
> to the backup server, will that work.

NFS has issues of its own (unrelated to rdiff-backup), but there's no
reason I know of for this not to work in principle. For any backup
methodology you need to:

  - check the status of the backup when it ends
  - test restoring files / directories / entire servers from backup

If you do those two thing then you should be reasonably safe. If you
don't then don't be surprised when you find out the backups are not as
usable as you'd hoped.

 > If someone has another way to
> do it (without installing rdiff on each machine) please let me
> know.

I don't understand - and you don't explain - your reluctance to install
rdiff-backup on each client. Most distributions have it packaged so it
takes very little time. I would be reluctant to export all data from a
server via NFS simply to facilitate backups, but that's me. You know
your data and security considerations and are thus best placed to
determine the backup philosophy.

> Also I am looking for a GUI  or web
> interface to use with it. I found this one:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/rdiffbackupweb/

There's been talk over the years of such an interface being available,
and I believe that there is one other as well. However, I've never used
any of them so I can't comment. rdiff-backup is pretty easy to drive
from the command line. Who are you aiming the web interface at: system
administrators or end users?

Re: NFS question

tech1
Thanks for the reply,

I guess my reluctance to installing rdiff-backup on each client is that
nearly everyone
is a different distro and or version on linux.  I don't always have the best
of luck installing
things and getting them to work properly. We are now using CentOS for any
new servers
we add.
To answer your interface question, I am aiming this for administrators.
Thanks again, I just didn't want to wast time trying something that's
already been proven not to work.

Bill