Need help testing SRFI-194: Random data generators

Need help testing SRFI-194: Random data generators

noosphere
I've almost completed packaging up SRFI-194 for Chicken 5, with only the
tests left to do.

I'm stumped by one test:

  https://github.com/diamond-lizard/srfi-194/blob/0abe0402cdcdbbe8463154152c8f6d550be06cc6/tests/srfi-194-test.scm#L98

The comments to this test say "testing random source, which is
implementation specific", and it only provides a single
test for the Guache Scheme implementation.

Would anyone more experienced in dealing with randomness on Chicken be
able to provide me with a good Chicken test to substitute for this
Guache test?

My own skills aren't up to the task.

Thanks in advance for any help,

  --Sergey

Re: Need help testing SRFI-194: Random data generators

Evan Hanson-4
Hi Sergey,

On 2020-11-16 13:36, [hidden email] wrote:
> The comments to this test say "testing random source, which is
> implementation specific", and it only provides a single
> test for the Guache Scheme implementation.
>
> Would anyone more experienced in dealing with randomness on Chicken be
> able to provide me with a good Chicken test to substitute for this
> Guache test?

I've just had a look and this test group seems to be specifically testing
the library's behaviour when an implementation-provided random-source is
used. Is that right? If so, I think it's fine to leave this test disabled
for CHICKEN since it doesn't actually provide any such random-source;
instead, one would just use the sources provided by srfi-27, I expect? And
that already seems well-covered by the tests.

That's just my two cents, though, please let me know if I've misunderstood
how these libraries hang together (or the purpose of the test, I suppose).

Cheers,

Evan