Network oddities

Andy Ruddock-2

Re: Network oddities

Kim Minh Kaplan
Andy Ruddock writes:

> I planned to run another keyserver solely on my local network, in
> order to be able to take the "backup" machine offline to create keydumps
> from, without the need to take the main keyserver down.

Note that Jason Harris seems to have a much more interesting technique
for doing this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/sks-devel/2009-08/msg00025.html

> I set up sks on a new machine and added references in my membership
> files to point to each other.
>
> After updating the membership files I restarted sks on both machines.
>
> After this neither machine received any updates, and subsequently
> keyserver.rainydayz.org fell out of the pool. After stopping my backup
> keyserver and restoring the membership files keyserver.rainydayz.org
> immediately got a bunch of new keys & updates.
>
> Any ideas as to why another keyserver on a local network would cause this?

That's the kind of setting I use for developpement purposes so it can
definitely work.  Logs from both of your servers could help pinpoint the
problem.  Setting debuglevel to 5 before logging would help also.
--
Kim Minh