New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user?

New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user?

Wayne Sallee
I created a new linux opperating system. While I used the same user name, the number is different, so I copied my stuff
over to the new system, and chowned the files over.

No problem there.

But now I need to get back to doing the rdiff-backups to the external hard drive.

Should I chown the external drive so that the files mach, then continue as usual?

Or is it not that simple? :-)

I'm trying to avoid a lengthy backup session on the new system, and avoid excessive backup files, and make easy
retrieval should I need an older file.

I should have created the new user on the new linux system with the same user number, but to go back an do that now
might be problematic. Maybe it would be easier.

I have close to a terabyte of files.

Wayne Sallee
[hidden email]
http://www.WayneSallee.com

Re: New System Chown Backup-Hard-drive for new user?

Robert Nichols-2
On 10/08/2016 10:23 AM, Wayne Sallee wrote:

> I created a new linux opperating system. While I used the same user name, the number is different,
> so I copied my stuff over to the new system, and chowned the files over.
>
> No problem there.
>
> But now I need to get back to doing the rdiff-backups to the external hard drive.
>
> Should I chown the external drive so that the files mach, then continue as usual?
>
> Or is it not that simple? :-)
>
> I'm trying to avoid a lengthy backup session on the new system, and avoid excessive backup files,
> and make easy retrieval should I need an older file.

The problem with that is that the ownership of the files in the mirror
will no longer agree with the numeric ownership recorded in the
rdiff-backup-data metadata files. That shouldn't be a big deal, since
rdiff-backup will default to using the user name when setting the
ownership on restored files. The big problem will be that every file
with a changed ID will be seen as having changed the next time you do a
backup. That is going to result in a very long backup session and the
creation of a huge number of tiny zero-diff files.

It would be a lot cleaner to chown (and chgrp) the files in the new
Linux system and adjust the numeric IDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group to
match the old system.

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.

On 10/08/2016 02:48 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:

> On 10/08/2016 10:23 AM, Wayne Sallee wrote:
>> I created a new linux opperating system. While I used the same user name, the number is different,
>> so I copied my stuff over to the new system, and chowned the files over.
>>
>> No problem there.
>>
>> But now I need to get back to doing the rdiff-backups to the external hard drive.
>>
>> Should I chown the external drive so that the files mach, then continue as usual?
>>
>> Or is it not that simple? :-)
>>
>> I'm trying to avoid a lengthy backup session on the new system, and avoid excessive backup files,
>> and make easy retrieval should I need an older file.
>
> The problem with that is that the ownership of the files in the mirror
> will no longer agree with the numeric ownership recorded in the
> rdiff-backup-data metadata files. That shouldn't be a big deal, since
> rdiff-backup will default to using the user name when setting the
> ownership on restored files. The big problem will be that every file
> with a changed ID will be seen as having changed the next time you do a
> backup. That is going to result in a very long backup session and the
> creation of a huge number of tiny zero-diff files.
>
> It would be a lot cleaner to chown (and chgrp) the files in the new
> Linux system and adjust the numeric IDs in /etc/passwd and /etc/group to
> match the old system.

Thanks.

I'll change the uid and gid of my user on the new system as I should have done from the beginning.

Wayne Sallee
[hidden email]
http://www.WayneSallee.com