New egg: SRFI-87: => in case clauses

noosphere
I would like to submit a new egg for publication:

  SRFI-87: => in case clauses

Its documentation is here: [1]

Its release-info is here: [2]

test-new-egg gives it a clean bill of health.

  --Sergey

[1] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/srfi-87

[2] - https://github.com/diamond-lizard/srfi-87/raw/main/release-info

Re: New egg: SRFI-87: => in case clauses

Mario Domenech Goulart-4
On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:36:56 -0800 [hidden email] wrote:

> I would like to submit a new egg for publication:
>
>   SRFI-87: => in case clauses
>
> Its documentation is here: [1]
>
> Its release-info is here: [2]
>
> test-new-egg gives it a clean bill of health.
>
>   --Sergey
>
> [1] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/srfi-87
>
> [2] - https://github.com/diamond-lizard/srfi-87/raw/main/release-info

Thanks.  I'm afraid SRFI-87 is already supported by CHICKEN core, isn't
it?  Am I missing something?

All the best.
Mario
http://parenteses.org/mario

On Sat 21 Nov 2020 12:14:29 PM +01, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

> Thanks.  I'm afraid SRFI-87 is already supported by CHICKEN core, isn't
> it?  Am I missing something?

Hmm... it wasn't listed on the Supported Standards page[1]

megane in #chicken alsays said:

"yep, there's => support for case in core already"

If I knew this SRFI was already supported, I wouldn't have bothered
packaging it.

Oh well, it was a quick and easy one.. so no big deal..  I guess you can
just ignore my egg.

However, is there somewhere on the wiki I could link to where it
mentions that SRFI-87 support is in core?

  --Sergey

[1] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/supported-standards

Re: New egg: SRFI-87: => in case clauses

Lassi Kortela
<https://wiki.call-cc.org/supported-standards> currently doesn't mention
SRFI 87.

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:18:54 -0800 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat 21 Nov 2020 12:14:29 PM +01, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>>

>> Thanks.  I'm afraid SRFI-87 is already supported by CHICKEN core, isn't
>> it?  Am I missing something?
>
> Hmm... it wasn't listed on the Supported Standards page[1]
>
> megane in #chicken alsays said:
>
> "yep, there's => support for case in core already"
>
> If I knew this SRFI was already supported, I wouldn't have bothered
> packaging it.
>
> Oh well, it was a quick and easy one.. so no big deal..  I guess you can
> just ignore my egg.
>
> However, is there somewhere on the wiki I could link to where it
> mentions that SRFI-87 support is in core?
>
>   --Sergey
>
> [1] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/supported-standards

The support for `=>' in cond clauses has been added [to CHICKEN 4.9.0]
to conform to R7RS, not exactly to support SRFI-87, as far as I can
tell.  It is documented in
http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types
(look for the documentation of `case')

All the best.
Mario
http://parenteses.org/mario

On Sat 21 Nov 2020 09:28:10 PM +01, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

> The support for `=>' in cond clauses has been added [to CHICKEN 4.9.0]
> to conform to R7RS, not exactly to support SRFI-87, as far as I can
> tell.  It is documented in
> http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types
> (look for the documentation of `case')

I have some questions about this.

First, when packaging up the SRFI-87 egg, I ported over the SRFI-87
documentation over to svnwiki syntax and posted it on the Chicken wiki:

  http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/srfi-87

Because of that, it's now possible to find SRFI-87 and related search
terms in a search of the Chicken wiki.

Should we keep this documentation?

If we do, of course I can take myself out of the credits for packaging
up SRFI-87 as there'll be no SRFI-87 egg, and take out the Version
history section, and I could put in a note that SRFI-87 is supported in
Chicken core with a link to the page you linked to above.  Finally, if
we do keep it I can link to that page from our Supported Standards and
Chicken SRFI Support pages.  If we don't keep it, then I could just link
directly to:

  https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types

The other questions I have regard my investigation of SRFI-87 support in
Chicken.  When you mentioned that Chicken had SRFI-87 support, I tried
importing SRFI-87 in csi and succeded, tried uninstalling it (which also
succeeded), and the tried installing it again (which failed).

If SRFI-87 is not an egg and if there's no explicit support of SRFI-87
in chicken, how was I able to (import srfi-87) and uninstall it, and why
couldn't I reinstall it?

Here's a log of what I did:

%  csi
CHICKEN
(c) 2008-2020, The CHICKEN Team
(c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 5.2.0 (rev 317468e4)
linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit dload ptables ]

Type ,? for help.
#;1> (import srfi-87)

Note: re-importing already imported syntax: case
#;2>
%  chicken-uninstall srfi-87
About to delete the following extensions:

  srfi-87

Do you want to proceed? (yes/no) yes
removing srfi-87
%  chicken-install srfi-87
Server error:

Error: [Server] no such extension or version
"srfi-87"
#f
Server error:

Error: [Server] no such extension or version
"srfi-87"
#f

Error: extension or version not found: "srfi-87"
%  csi
CHICKEN
(c) 2008-2020, The CHICKEN Team
(c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 5.2.0 (rev 317468e4)
linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit dload ptables ]

Type ,? for help.
#;1> (import srfi-87)

Error: (import) during expansion of (import ...) - cannot import from undefined module: srfi-87

        Call history:

        <syntax>          (import srfi-87)      <--
#;1>

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 16:40:21 -0800 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat 21 Nov 2020 09:28:10 PM +01, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
>>
>> The support for `=>' in cond clauses has been added [to CHICKEN 4.9.0]
>> to conform to R7RS, not exactly to support SRFI-87, as far as I can
>> tell.  It is documented in
>> http://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types
>> (look for the documentation of `case')
>
> I have some questions about this.
>
> First, when packaging up the SRFI-87 egg, I ported over the SRFI-87
> documentation over to svnwiki syntax and posted it on the Chicken wiki:
>
>   http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/5/srfi-87
>
> Because of that, it's now possible to find SRFI-87 and related search
> terms in a search of the Chicken wiki.
>
> Should we keep this documentation?

I think it should be removed.  The support for `=>' in `case' clauses is
already documented in the manual.  Having a /eggref/5/srfi-87 page is
going to be misleading, as it would indicate that a srfi-87 egg exists.

> If we do, of course I can take myself out of the credits for packaging
> up SRFI-87 as there'll be no SRFI-87 egg, and take out the Version
> history section, and I could put in a note that SRFI-87 is supported in
> Chicken core with a link to the page you linked to above.  Finally, if
> we do keep it I can link to that page from our Supported Standards and
> Chicken SRFI Support pages.  If we don't keep it, then I could just link
> directly to:
>
>   https://wiki.call-cc.org/man/5/Module%20scheme#derived-expression-types
>
> The other questions I have regard my investigation of SRFI-87 support in
> Chicken.  When you mentioned that Chicken had SRFI-87 support, I tried
> importing SRFI-87 in csi and succeded, tried uninstalling it (which also
> succeeded), and the tried installing it again (which failed).
>
> If SRFI-87 is not an egg and if there's no explicit support of SRFI-87
> in chicken, how was I able to (import srfi-87) and uninstall it, and why
> couldn't I reinstall it?

You could import it because you had a srfi-87 module installed on your
system (probably your own egg).

Regarding not being able to install it, did you call chicken-install
from the directory with the sources of your egg?  If you didn't, that's
expected to fail, as the egg has not been added to our egg servers.

> Here's a log of what I did:
>
> %  csi
> CHICKEN
> (c) 2008-2020, The CHICKEN Team
> (c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
> Version 5.2.0 (rev 317468e4)
> linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit dload ptables ]
>
> Type ,? for help.
> #;1> (import srfi-87)
>
> Note: re-importing already imported syntax: case
> #;2>
> %  chicken-uninstall srfi-87
> About to delete the following extensions:
>
>   srfi-87
>
> Do you want to proceed? (yes/no) yes
> removing srfi-87
> %  chicken-install srfi-87
> Server error:
>
> Error: [Server] no such extension or version
> "srfi-87"
> #f
> Server error:
>
> Error: [Server] no such extension or version
> "srfi-87"
> #f
>
> Error: extension or version not found: "srfi-87"
> %  csi
> CHICKEN
> (c) 2008-2020, The CHICKEN Team
> (c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
> Version 5.2.0 (rev 317468e4)
> linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit dload ptables ]
>
> Type ,? for help.
> #;1> (import srfi-87)
>
> Error: (import) during expansion of (import ...) - cannot import from undefined module: srfi-87
>
>         Call history:
>
>         <syntax>          (import srfi-87)      <--
> #;1>

All the best.
Mario
http://parenteses.org/mario

Re: New egg: SRFI-87: => in case clauses

John Cowan
Since the content of SRFI-87 is built in to the current Chicken, #:srfi-87 should be added to the output of `features` in (chicken-platform).

All the best.
Mario
http://parenteses.org/mario

On Sun 22 Nov 2020 09:15:46 AM +01, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 16:40:21 -0800 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Should we keep this documentation?
>
> I think it should be removed.

Done.

>> If SRFI-87 is not an egg and if there's no explicit support of SRFI-87
>> in chicken, how was I able to (import srfi-87) and uninstall it, and why
>> couldn't I reinstall it?
>
> You could import it because you had a srfi-87 module installed on your
> system (probably your own egg).
>
> Regarding not being able to install it, did you call chicken-install
> from the directory with the sources of your egg?  If you didn't, that's
> expected to fail, as the egg has not been added to our egg servers.

That's why I was surprised it was installed to begin with, since I'm
pretty sure I didn't install it from within my egg directory, but I
guess I must have if it's not part of Chicken and there's no such egg on
the servers.

  --Sergey