New image for it_extralife

12

New image for it_extralife

Andreas Lochmann
Hi,

we think about introducing a small black meditation actor,
"ac_pearl_black" in new-API-speak. The main problem here is,
that its image collides with the current image for the
extralife item. Add to the problem that the black extralife
item is meant for marbles and pearls of *both* colors, and
we come to the conclusion, that the traditional image of
the extralife item should be replaced. Any suggestions?
It should still be recognizable as an extra life ...

Best,
Andreas

Re: New image for it_extralife

Erich Schubert
Hi,
The probably most traditional icon would be a heart symbol, and IIRC there isn't anything like that used in Enigma yet, is it?
I know that marbles usually don't have a heart, but at least I think most people would get the idea immediately what it does.

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Re: New image for it_extralife

Tom Davies-7
I agree, and who says that marbles have no hearts? Mine do. Perhaps
the broken marble sprite could be modified to have a heart in it?

Tom

On 2 Mar 2009, at 10:05 PM, Erich Schubert <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
> The probably most traditional icon would be a heart symbol, and IIRC
> there isn't anything like that used in Enigma yet, is it?
> I know that marbles usually don't have a heart, but at least I think
> most people would get the idea immediately what it does.
>
> best regards,
> Erich Schubert

Re: New image for it_extralife

shadowphrogg32642342@gmail.com
or a heart-shaped marble fragment with +1 written on it?

Re: New image for it_extralife

Ronald Lamprecht
Hi,

Dániel Borbély wrote:
> or a heart-shaped marble fragment with +1 written on it?

On short Wiki Commons investigation on usable heart icons I ended up at
the SVG Smiley collection :-)

What about taking a Smiley as our extralife symbol. The darker yellow
ones would fit the Enigma color scheme. They should well scale to all
resolutions, are usable on the black inventory background. We could even
use several different smileys - either per random, or according to the
game situation.

There is just one point that lets me hesitate. May be we want to use the
smiley as a further actor in future.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: New image for it_extralife

Erich Schubert
You could also do a black heart for the black marble.

As for the smiley, weren't there some blueish smiley-like actors that you could bounce around?
Especially since there is a wide variety of smileys, I'd keep them for some later game gimmick.
Like having to collect different smileys or something like that. Having to pick them up somewhere and place them on special locations to activate something, whatever. Also smileys can serve as some kind of indicator (frowning = bad, happy = good). Maybe sometimes as hint to get an easy mode for some levels.

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Re: New image for it_extralife

Erich Schubert
One more idea:
Some atomish thing. After all, an extra life is a powerful powerup, why not use some black nucleus with small marbles circling around it or so?

best regards,
Erich Schubert

Re: New image for it_extralife

Raoul-3
> Some atomish thing. After all, an extra life is a powerful powerup,
> why not use some black nucleus with small marbles circling around it
> or so?

Nice idea :-)

Greetings, Raoul

Re: New image for it_extralife

Andreas Lochmann
Yes, the nucleus-thingie sounds interesting ... we have to see whether
it's still recognizable in low resolutions.

The heart icon ... hmm ... personally, I'd say, that's too cute for
Enigma, don't you think?

The smiley could become a licensing-bomb, I fear.

Best,
Andreas

Erich Schubert wrote:
> As for the smiley, weren't there some blueish smiley-like actors that
> you could bounce around?
> Especially since there is a wide variety of smileys, I'd keep them for
> some later game gimmick.
> Like having to collect different smileys or something like that. Having
> to pick them up somewhere and place them on special locations to
> activate something, whatever. Also smileys can serve as some kind of
> indicator (frowning = bad, happy = good). Maybe sometimes as hint to get
> an easy mode for some levels.

I was thinking about switching the extralife symbol to a wooried similey
when a danger is nearby, may be just in easy mode, looking horrified
when a marble shatters, showing teeth on successful level completion and
tears on final level failure.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: New image for it_extralife

shadowphrogg32642342@gmail.com
I made a heart-shaped sprite for it_extralife...
http://shadowphrogg32642342.kleeps.net/enigma-newlife.png

Re: New image for it_extralife

Alexandros Tasos
Hi everyone,

Speaking of extra lives, here's my idea:
How about an it_extralife_thief that looks like a common extra life,
but when the player obtains it, both the item itself and one extra
life from the inventory vanish forever?

Alexandros

Re: New image for it_extralife

shadowphrogg32642342@gmail.com
IMO. it's too  sudden and nasty...

Re: New image for it_extralife

Sparr
That +1 doesn't survive downsampling to 16x16.  Could you do a version
in the same style with just a +, or even nothing, inside the heart?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Dániel Borbély
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I made a heart-shaped sprite for it_extralife...
> http://shadowphrogg32642342.kleeps.net/enigma-newlife.png

Re: New image for it_extralife

shadowphrogg32642342@gmail.com
what resolutions should be created? svg?

Andreas Lochmann wrote:
> we think about introducing a small black meditation actor,
> "ac_pearl_black" in new-API-speak. The main problem here is,
> that its image collides with the current image for the
> extralife item. Add to the problem that the black extralife
> item is meant for marbles and pearls of *both* colors, and
> we come to the conclusion, that the traditional image of
> the extralife item should be replaced. Any suggestions?
> It should still be recognizable as an extra life ...

Finally we did generate 4 candidate images for the extralife item. All
use the same yellow base with some pattern on top. This yellow base is
chosen for a maximum contrast to the different floors while still
matching the general color scheme.

As there is no common, worldwide known symbol of extralife we did choose
four symbols of positive, life and happyness. The resulting images have
slight 3D effects like other items. But besides the plus sign they are
not rotational symmetric and miss the explicit 3D shapes of actors.

I uploaded a screenshot with all candidates:

http://download.berlios.de/enigma-game/ExtralifeCandidates.png

Please tell us your favorite. Which images would you easily identify as
extralifes. Which images do you like to see often in your item
inventory. Please order the symbols in your favorite list and let us know.

Greets,

Ronald

Re: New image for it_extralife

Bugzilla from ais523@bham.ac.uk
On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 21:39 +0200, Ronald Lamprecht wrote:
> Please tell us your favorite. Which images would you easily identify as
> extralifes. Which images do you like to see often in your item
> inventory. Please order the symbols in your favorite list and let us know.

I like the heart best, followed by the plus. That smiley face looks
rather creepy, and the remaining symbol isn't really recognisable as an
extra life to me.

--
ais523

Re: New image for it_extralife

Raoul-3
Hi,

As Ronald said, the symbols are we discuss about are:

plus: in the meaning of "plus one", more (extra)life ...
heart: symbol for something that is nice and not harmful.
smiley: a general expression of happyness
ankh: old egyptian hieroglyphic character meaning "long life" or "eternal life".

The plus and ankh are directly connected with the term of
extralife, while the others are more general.

Therefore my personal ranking would be:

i) ankh
ii) heart
iii) plus
iv) smiley

-- Raoul

On 20/6/09 20:46, Alex Smith wrote:
On Sat, 2009-06-20 at 21:39 +0200, Ronald Lamprecht wrote:

Please tell us your favorite. Which images would you easily identify as
extralifes. Which images do you like to see often in your item
inventory. Please order the symbols in your favorite list and let us know.

I like the heart best, followed by the plus. That smiley face looks
rather creepy, and the remaining symbol isn't really recognisable as an
extra life to me.

I like the heart, then the plus. The ankh is the worst idea, as many people may not understand what the ankh symbolises, the belief of "eternal life" which may give the incorrect impression of an object which grants permanent invulnerability.

Tom

12