New to WeeChat, Tutorials on iset script?

New to WeeChat, Tutorials on iset script?

neon_ bikini
Hello,
I've installed the weechat package from Archlinux, because there looks like a lot of help docs. So, I find it strange I can't find more help for editing user preferences with the iset script. (example [1])

Will new users reply with more examples?
Otherwise I'll have to ask embarrassing questions like this,

I installed weechat and iset script with Archlinux [2]. I see the instructions at the top:

     alt + space: toggle,
     +/-: increase/decrease,
     enter: change,
     ir: reset,
     iu: unset,
     v: toggle help bar | Mouse: left: select,
     right: to[???]

Unfortunately these commands do not work the way I expect them to. For example, I added a server using the quick start [3] syntax:

     # /server add #someircboard irc.freenode.net

This produced a line in the iset list of properties and values:

     irc.server.#someircboard.nicks                  string   (undef)

I navigate the highlight to this line. This adds the instructions to the top of the list:

     irc.server.#drupal.nicks: nicknames to use on server (separated by comma) [default: ""]

and press enter (from enter : change). Nothing changed on the screen. No cursor color change. So I enter the text as described in the instructions:

     # "neon,neon1,neon2"

This produced these instructions at the top:

     *"neon,neon1,neon2"* | 1/0 | alt + space: toggle, +/-: increase/decrease, enter: change, ir: reset, iu: unset, v: toggle help bar | Mouse: left: >>
     No option selected. Set a new filter using command line (use '*' to see all options)

Enter and alt-enter don't seem to effect the iset variables. I've also combined using "/" before entering the string. I've tried it with and without the quotes. I can't edit the irc I added nor the preexisting values as described by the link [3]. Using that example, I find all entries with magenta, then press
    enter
    alt [shift +] [shift +]

But this only adds strange symbols to the "command line" and does not increase/decrease or scroll through any available options as the web page suggest.

Sorry for the long post. Just takes time to write this so it makes sense.

----
[1]: http://pascalpoitras.com/2013/06/14/improve-weechat-by-using-script-iset/
[2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Weechat#Internal_menu-based
[3]: http://weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_quickstart.en.html#create_irc_server

Re: New to WeeChat, Tutorials on iset script?

Nils G
Hello neon_bikini,

Am 31.07.2014 um 16:31 schrieb neon_ bikini:

> Hello,
> I've installed the weechat package from Archlinux, because there looks like a lot of help
> docs. So, I find it strange I can't find more help for editing user preferences with the
> iset script. (example [1])
You have /help for nearly every command/script/option.
So, give this command a try:
/help iset

> and press enter (from enter : change). Nothing changed on the screen. No cursor color
> change. So I enter the text as described in the instructions:
alt+enter

> Enter and alt-enter don't seem to effect the iset variables. I've also combined using "/"
Sounds like your terminal is eating your key strokes. Try with another terminal
emulation (recommended is rxvt)

> But this only adds strange symbols to the "command line" and does not increase/decrease or
A screenshot would be fine.

> Sorry for the long post. Just takes time to write this so it makes sense.
i recommend visiting us in freenode.#weechat

Greetings,
 nils_2

Re: New to WeeChat, Tutorials on iset script?

neon_ bikini
> Sounds like your terminal is eating your key strokes. Try with another terminal
> emulation (recommended is rxvt)
I forgot, alt+enter is used by my window manager (DWM)!!

Can I change alt+enter?
"According to your keyboard and/or your needs, you can rebind any key to a command with /key command."
http://weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_quickstart.en.html#key_bindings

> /help iset
I see these two lines describing the text entry. I assume they're sequential?
     alt+enter      : set new value for option (edit it with command line)
     text,enter     : set a new filter using command line (use '*' to see all

> > But this only adds strange symbols to the "command line" and does not increase/decrease or
> A screenshot would be fine.
Here are a few pics:
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=D31BA53528CF0525&resid=D31BA53528CF0525%21132&authkey=AMQw2cu45_MekOw
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=D31BA53528CF0525&resid=D31BA53528CF0525%21133&authkey=ALr1FAukIggtTzY
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=D31BA53528CF0525&resid=D31BA53528CF0525%21134&authkey=AASE-fl4NS3ILUw

Am 31.07.2014 um 18:19 schrieb neon_ bikini:

> I forgot, alt+enter is used by my window manager (DWM)!!
> Can I change alt+enter?
Its hardcoded for iset-buffer.

What you can do, but i really do not recommend, is to bind following command to a key.
This command will be executed on "alt+enter", in iset-buffer:
/iset **set

>> /help iset
> I see these two lines describing the text entry. I assume they're sequential?
>      alt+enter      : set new value for option (edit it with command line)
>      text,enter     : set a new filter using command line (use '*' to see all
The first one will copy the option to the input-bar (or you can also say command line).
Then edit the value and press enter.
If you write a text to command line (input-bar) and you press enter, iset will show
all options that matches the given text.

For example, type "iset" (without "") in iset buffer and press enter. iset will show you
*all* options matches "iset".

>> > But this only adds strange symbols to the "command line" and does not increase/decrease or
>> A screenshot would be fine.
> Here are a few pics:
I don't see any "strange" symbols in command line.
Maybe you should have a look at this youtube video, explaining how iset works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K1SOorqqw

Does weechat make a lot of use of alt+enter elsewhere? Searching the documentation, http://weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_user.en.html I don't see it used at all. Why the hesitation if its just for iset, which is not a tool I would frequently use?

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K1SOorqqw
Yes. I will look at this before posting further.

Thank you.

Re: New to WeeChat, Tutorials on iset script?

Sébastien Helleu
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 05:46:10PM +0000, neon_ bikini wrote:

>    > What you can do, but i really do not recommend,...
>    Does weechat make a lot of use of alt+enter elsewhere? Searching the documentation, [1]http://weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_user.en.html
>    I don't see it used at all. Why the hesitation if its just for iset, which is not a tool I would frequently use?
>
>    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K1SOorqqw
>    Yes. I will look at this before posting further.
>
>    Thank you.
>
> References
>
>    Visible links
>    1. http://weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_user.en.html

If alt+enter is used by your window manager, just do Esc then Enter, same
result.

Cordialement / Best regards.

--
Sébastien Helleu

web: flashtux.org / weechat.org      mail: [hidden email]
irc: FlashCode @ irc.freenode.net    xmpp: [hidden email]