New to "sks" - looking for web front end

New to "sks" - looking for web front end

Jason Fesler-2
I'm trying to set up sks for internal use here, as many people don't
want to post their email address to public servers.

I've got sks itself running now; are there any front ends that provide
the basic add a key / search for keys type functionality?

Re: New to "sks" - looking for web front end

John Clizbe-3
Jason Fesler wrote:
> I'm trying to set up sks for internal use here, as many people don't
> want to post their email address to public servers.
>
> I've got sks itself running now; are there any front ends that provide
> the basic add a key / search for keys type functionality?

It's built-in. The page goes in /var/sks/web. Visit any sks keyserver using http
on port 11371 and you'll see, eg http://ice.mudshark.org:11371/ or
http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/ for a random pick.

I would send you to mine, but I had a controller failure on the motherboard and
am down at the moment. (zip archive OK?). You can also configure SKS to listen
on port 80.

For a purely internal server, you won't need the recon process unless you setup
a mirror server within Y!

Good luck.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or

A:"An odd melody / island voices on the winds / surplus of vowels"

Re: New to "sks" - looking for web front end

Kiss Gabor (Bitman)
> I've got sks itself running now; are there any front ends that provide the
> basic add a key / search for keys type functionality?

http://your.server:11371

Regards

Gabor

On Nov 10, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Kiss Gabor (Bitman) wrote:

>> I've got sks itself running now; are there any front ends that
>> provide the
>> basic add a key / search for keys type functionality?
>
> http://your.server:11371

Thanks, to both John and Kiss. I  copied the index.html from a public
key server.  Since I actually want to do a lot more than what /pks/
lookup?  offers, I'm opting to have apache do proxypass/proxyreserve
for /pks/ to localhost:11371 , so that I can run more dynamic stuff on
port 80.

Re: New to "sks" - looking for web front end

David Shaw
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 03:21:05PM -0800, Jason Fesler wrote:
> I'm trying to set up sks for internal use here, as many people don't
> want to post their email address to public servers.

One thought about this - if you are really only interested in internal
use, and not planning on synchronizing your server with the rest of
the world, you might consider using a LDAP server instead.

Both PGP and GnuPG can use LDAP servers as a keyserver, and there are
a few benefits to doing it that way.  People can delete keys
(something that cannot be done on a web keyserver), people can update
their own key how they like (the web keyservers are strictly
additive).  If your site already is using LDAP for directory usage,
then adding keys is fairly easy.  Finally, PGP and GnuPG can be
configured to check your LDAP server whenever it needs a key.

I think SKS is great - it just might not be the right tool for this
particular job.

David