Newbie Few PlannerMode Questions

Turgut Durduran

Hello,

I am new to the PlannerMode and I have few questions. Quite a bit of them, I apologize for long message.

1 - Searching: planner-search-notes seem to search on day-pages and not plan pages. It also does not follow links. I was hoping that it could act as a search for all the "remember" and other information I enter in my pages and follow links to local files too. i tried muse-search but that also only searches files under the same directory for the "project". Is there an alternative to that? Ideally, I want it to search all files linked to the project from any place.

2- Some of my plan pages are under subdirectories. When I use remember, it does not let me write out the note to the files in the subdirectories - they are not tab-completed. somehow, from the manual, I thought this might do that, but obviously associating "emacs-wiki" with planner/muse may be wrong? I added the folllowing to my .emacs file:
;;hopefully this let's planner to go down in the directory tree
(setq emacs-wiki-recurse-directories t)

3- This may be more of muse question but wqhen
I do a "pdf export" it does a single LaTeX run therefore the links are
broken. How do I get it to do multiple runs or "run as many as
necessary"?

4- Can I add colors for output? is there a <color> tag?

5- When I output a muse-journal, it likes to display earliest entries first. I
 want to reverse that. I want the newest ones on top. Is that possible?

 6- Is there a way to generate an output , possibly a graphical one (may be with
graphviz?) that would show which file is linked to what file etc?

 7- I followed a tip from a web-site so I can hit a key-combination anywhere in GNOME and run a small window in remember-mode to take a note. so I added the following to my .emacs .. The tip gave it for "org-mode" so I edited it (see below lines marked ";TD"). It works, I can now add my note to plan page. but it only works if emacs-server is already running. is there an alternative to that? Am  doing the right thing?

;;http://metajack.im/2008/12/30/gtd-capture-with-emacs-orgmode/
;; to have a small remember window open from anywhere
(defadvice remember-finalize (after delete-remember-frame activate)
  "Advise remember-finalize to close the frame if it is the remember frame"
  (if (equal "remember" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
      (delete-frame)))

(defadvice remember-destroy (after delete-remember-frame activate)
  "Advise remember-destroy to close the frame if it is the rememeber frame"
  (if (equal "remember" (frame-parameter nil 'name))
      (delete-frame)))

;; make the frame contain a single window. by default org-remember
;; splits the window.
(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook
          'delete-other-windows)

(defun make-remember-frame ()
  "Create a new frame and run org-remember."
  (interactive)
  (make-frame '((name . "remember") (width . 80) (height . 10)))
  (select-frame-by-name "remember")
;;TD next line by TD
  (planner-goto-today)
;;TD next line by TDD
  (remember 'remember-planner-add-xref))
;; TD original was this
;;  (org-remember))

 8- I use multiple computers (~4) with slightly different directory structures. I keep my latest working notes, important stuff in a common *relative* path (upto a degree). Is it possible to get annotations, auto-links etc use relative paths instead of absolute? I mean, if I remember something while working on a document and I add the note to the day-page, I want the link the original document to be relative. I tried the following but that did not do the job

;;use relative paths
(setq planner-annotation-use-relative-file t)

9- What is the common choice for Palm-Pilot and/or Evolution syncronization. It seems like one way is to load up the .ics from evolution (which I only use for palm-syncing) and importat that to planner-diary. but what happens if I change something on my palm?

10-  When I link to a pdf file, [[mypdf.pdf]] ,  when I follow the link I end up opening the pdf as a text file. I was hoping it will use mailcap or some such to run a pdf viewer. Can I control this somehow?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Turgut

Re: Newbie Few PlannerMode Questions [WJS+muse]

John Sullivan-2
Turgut Durduran <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to the PlannerMode and I have few questions. Quite a bit of them, I apologize for long message.

Welcome!

> 1 - Searching: planner-search-notes seem to search on day-pages and
> not plan pages. It also does not follow links. I was hoping that it
> could act as a search for all the "remember" and other information I
> enter in my pages and follow links to local files too. i tried
> muse-search but that also only searches files under the same directory
> for the "project". Is there an alternative to that? Ideally, I want it
> to search all files linked to the project from any place.

Yeah, there is a bug open for this in our tracker
(https://gna.org/bugs/?group=planner-el), https://gna.org/bugs/?7621.
Feel free to add any feedback to that.

The reason for this originally (I think) was that we don't want to
return duplicate results, and notes often exist on both day and plan
pages. But I think we can have an option to accommodate people who want
both searched.

In the meantime, I just use M-x grep a lot :).

> 2- Some of my plan pages are under subdirectories. When I use
> remember, it does not let me write out the note to the files in the
> subdirectories - they are not tab-completed. somehow, from the manual,
> I thought this might do that, but obviously associating "emacs-wiki"
> with planner/muse may be wrong? I added the folllowing to my .emacs
> file: ;;hopefully this let's planner to go down in the directory tree
> (setq emacs-wiki-recurse-directories t)

The emacs-wiki setting won't help you, since you are using the Muse
backend for Planner.

I'm not sure I understand the description of the problem here -- could
you elaborate? Maybe give the sequence of what you type to get to the
point where you expect tab completion?

> 3- This may be more of muse question but wqhen
> I do a "pdf export" it does a single LaTeX run therefore the links are
> broken. How do I get it to do multiple runs or "run as many as
> necessary"?

This is probably a muse question, but can you give more information
about how do you get to that point? What command do you use to do the
export, what files are you exporting, do you have any customizations to
the PDF style?

> 4- Can I add colors for output? is there a <color> tag?

For output in which format?

> 5- When I output a muse-journal, it likes to display earliest entries first. I
>  want to reverse that. I want the newest ones on top. Is that possible?

I don't see an option for this, but I'm not very familiar with that part
of Muse. You might have more luck on the muse-el-discuss mailing list
with that question.

>  6- Is there a way to generate an output , possibly a graphical one (may be with
> graphviz?) that would show which file is linked to what file etc?

Very interesting idea :). If you'd like to put a request for it into the
bug tracker, that seems like a fun project for someone to work on. Not
aware of anything now though.

>  7- I followed a tip from a web-site so I can hit a key-combination
>  anywhere in GNOME and run a small window in remember-mode to take a
>  note. so I added the following to my .emacs .. The tip gave it for
>  "org-mode" so I edited it (see below lines marked ";TD"). It works, I
>  can now add my note to plan page. but it only works if emacs-server
>  is already running. is there an alternative to that? Am doing the
>  right thing?

Just looking quickly, the Lisp seems okay. You can try adding
--alternate-editor="" to your emacsclient command line. That should
start an emacs server if there is not already one running, and connect
to it.

>  8- I use multiple computers (~4) with slightly different directory
>  structures. I keep my latest working notes, important stuff in a
>  common *relative* path (upto a degree). Is it possible to get
>  annotations, auto-links etc use relative paths instead of absolute? I
>  mean, if I remember something while working on a document and I add
>  the note to the day-page, I want the link the original document to be
>  relative. I tried the following but that did not do the job
>
> ;;use relative paths
> (setq planner-annotation-use-relative-file t)

Hm, that setting should work I think. Can you give an example of a case
where it does not work?

> 9- What is the common choice for Palm-Pilot and/or Evolution
> syncronization. It seems like one way is to load up the .ics from
> evolution (which I only use for palm-syncing) and importat that to
> planner-diary. but what happens if I change something on my palm?

I'm not sure about this since I don't use those programs, but maybe
someone else can chime in. There is code out there to export diary to
ics, I know.

> 10- When I link to a pdf file, [[mypdf.pdf]] , when I follow the link
> I end up opening the pdf as a text file. I was hoping it will use
> mailcap or some such to run a pdf viewer. Can I control this somehow?

This is a broader emacs configuration issue, and it's something that's
changed / changing between versions. What version of emacs are you
using?

Hope that helps,
--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer

Re: Newbie Few PlannerMode Questions [WJS+muse]

Mirko Vukovic
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM, John Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Turgut Durduran <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to the PlannerMode and I have few questions. Quite a bit of them, I apologize for long message.
>>

> Welcome!
stuff deleted

>> 10- When I link to a pdf file, [[mypdf.pdf]] , when I follow the link
>> I end up opening the pdf as a text file. I was hoping it will use
>> mailcap or some such to run a pdf viewer. Can I control this somehow?

Try link format [[file://mypdf.pdf]] (Works for me on emacs 22 on windows xp)

Mirko