OS X to Linux failure with quoted characters

OS X to Linux failure with quoted characters

Blair Zajac
Hello,

I'm backing up my OS X box to a Linux box with rdiff-backup 1.1.0 and using a
command line like:

$ rdiff-backup -b --override-chars-to-quote '' dir blair@linuxbox::dir

The first time I do this, the backup succeeds, but the next time I run the exact
same command, I get this failure:

Fatal Error: New quoting requirements!

The quoting chars this session needs (A-Z;) do not match
the repository settings () listed in

dir/rdiff-backup-data/chars_to_quote

This may be caused when you copy an rdiff-backup repository from a
normal file system onto a windows one that cannot support the same
characters, or if you backup a case-sensitive file system onto a
case-insensitive one that previously only had case-insensitive ones
backed up onto it.
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/X11/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
     rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 293, in Main
     take_action(rps)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 261, in
take_action
     connection.PipeConnection(sys.stdin, sys.stdout).Server()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 352,
in Server
     self.get_response(-1)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 314,
in get_response
     try: req_num, object = self._get()
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 230,
in _get
     raise ConnectionReadError("Truncated header string (problem "
rdiff_backup.connection.ConnectionReadError: Truncated header string (problem
probably originated remotely)

Should I stop using the --override-chars-to-quote ''?  I would rather not see
quoted characters on the Linux box in case I want to just cd around there and
pull a file back by hand, as the quoted characters make it harder.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<[hidden email]>

Re: OS X to Linux failure with quoted characters

Ben Escoto

> I'm backing up my OS X box to a Linux box with rdiff-backup 1.1.0
> Fatal Error: New quoting requirements!

Hi this should be fixed in 1.1.1 (or CVS stable branch).

--
Ben Escoto

Ben Escoto wrote:

>> I'm backing up my OS X box to a Linux box with rdiff-backup 1.1.0
>> Fatal Error: New quoting requirements!
>
> Hi this should be fixed in 1.1.1 (or CVS stable branch).

Great, thanks!

Regards,
Blair