OSX and capital letters issue?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OSX and capital letters issue?

Sébastien Biner
Hello all,

  I want to use rdiff-backup on OSX to backup to directories in my  
/Users directory. The directories are /Users/biner/CODE and  
/Users/biner/Documents respectively.

Here is the command I typed and the output :

[sbiner:~] biner% rdiff-backup --include /Users/biner/CODE --include  
/Users/biner/Documents --exclude '**' ~ BACKUP
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
   Mac OS X Finder information                  On
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at  
BACKUP/rdiff-backup-data
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
   Characters needing quoting                   '^a-z0-9_ -.'
   Ownership changing                           Off
   Hard linking                                 On
   fsync() directories                          On
   Directory inc permissions                    Off
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
   Mac OS X Finder information                  On
-----------------------------------------------------------------
[sbiner:~] biner%

But when I look in BACKUP, here is what I find :
[sbiner:~] biner% ll BACKUP
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   5 biner  staff   170 15 Feb 14:41 ./
drwxr-xr-x  95 biner  staff  3230 15 Feb 14:41 ../
drwxr-xr-x   7 biner  staff   238 30 May  2005 ;067;079;068;069/
drwx------  10 biner  staff   340  3 Feb 15:06 ;068ocuments/
drwx------  10 biner  staff   340 15 Feb 14:44 rdiff-backup-data/
[sbiner:~] biner%

all the capital letters have been changed and it is the same in  
subdirectories.
Any Idea to help?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Sébastien Biner
[hidden email]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
spécialiste
groupe de simulations climatiques
Ouranos
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_
550 Sherbrooke O, 19e étage
Montréal, PQ
H3A 1B9
t : 514.282.6464.263
f : 514.282.7131
 
_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSX and capital letters issue?

james bardin
do a test restore. the numbers are the ascii character values of the
capital letters. rdiff-backup should revert the characters when you
restore.

jim

On 2/15/06, Biner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   I want to use rdiff-backup on OSX to backup to directories in my
> /Users directory. The directories are /Users/biner/CODE and
> /Users/biner/Documents respectively.
>
> Here is the command I typed and the output :
>
> [sbiner:~] biner% rdiff-backup --include /Users/biner/CODE --include
> /Users/biner/Documents --exclude '**' ~ BACKUP
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
>    Access control lists                         Off
>    Extended attributes                          Off
>    Mac OS X style resource forks                On
>    Mac OS X Finder information                  On
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at
> BACKUP/rdiff-backup-data
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
>    Characters needing quoting                   '^a-z0-9_ -.'
>    Ownership changing                           Off
>    Hard linking                                 On
>    fsync() directories                          On
>    Directory inc permissions                    Off
>    Access control lists                         Off
>    Extended attributes                          Off
>    Mac OS X style resource forks                On
>    Mac OS X Finder information                  On
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> [sbiner:~] biner%
>
> But when I look in BACKUP, here is what I find :
> [sbiner:~] biner% ll BACKUP
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x   5 biner  staff   170 15 Feb 14:41 ./
> drwxr-xr-x  95 biner  staff  3230 15 Feb 14:41 ../
> drwxr-xr-x   7 biner  staff   238 30 May  2005 ;067;079;068;069/
> drwx------  10 biner  staff   340  3 Feb 15:06 ;068ocuments/
> drwx------  10 biner  staff   340 15 Feb 14:44 rdiff-backup-data/
> [sbiner:~] biner%
>
> all the capital letters have been changed and it is the same in
> subdirectories.
> Any Idea to help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> Sébastien Biner
> [hidden email]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> spécialiste
> groupe de simulations climatiques
> Ouranos
> /_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_
> 550 Sherbrooke O, 19e étage
> Montréal, PQ
> H3A 1B9
> t : 514.282.6464.263
> f : 514.282.7131
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
>
>


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSX and capital letters issue?

Andrew Ferguson-3
In reply to this post by Sébastien Biner
Hi,

As Jim Bardin pointed out, the numbers become characters again after the
restore. But also, in the development version (starting with 1.1.4) the
numbers (which aren't needed in your case) are not used. In the
meanwhile, if you want to stick with the stable version, you can add the
argument:
--override-chars-to-quote ''

If you're actually backing up to a filesystem that doesn't preserve
case, then you shouldn't use the --override-chars-to-quote option. The
Mac OS X filesystem is case insensitive, but does preserve case.

Andrew

Biner wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to use rdiff-backup on OSX to backup to directories in my /Users
> directory. The directories are /Users/biner/CODE and
> /Users/biner/Documents respectively.
>
> Here is the command I typed and the output :
>

--
Andrew Ferguson - [hidden email]



_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSX and capital letters issue? + restore problems

Sébastien Biner
In reply to this post by james bardin
Thanks for the help.
After I wrote my email, I finally found that my problem was already  
mentionned on the mailing list. Sorry I should have looked more  
carefully.
I have installed rdiff-backup with fink so I have version 0.13.4-1.  
 From the man I though I could not use the --override-chars-to-quote ''  
option but it works anyways. I now have directory and file with capital  
letter in the backup.

My problem right now is that I am unable to make a restore from my  
backup. At the end of this email you will find the script and its  
output. I am clueless as to what is the problem, since the directory  
where the problem seems to happen is identical in the original and in  
the backup (this is why I list these directories in the middle of the  
script).

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long email.

thanks


####start script
#! /bin/sh

set -aex

rm -rf /Users/biner/BACKUP
rdiff-backup --override-chars-to-quote '' --include /Users/biner/CODE  
--exclude '**' / /Users/biner/BACKUP

ls -RalF /Users/biner/CODE/perl/web_diag
ls -RalF /Users/biner/BACKUP/Users/biner/CODE/perl/web_diag

rm -rf toto
rdiff-backup -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto
##### end script

#####start of output
[sbiner:~/travail/test_rdiffbackup] biner% test.sh
+ rm -rf /Users/biner/BACKUP
+ rdiff-backup --override-chars-to-quote '' --include /Users/biner/CODE  
--exclude '**' / /Users/biner/BACKUP
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
   Mac OS X Finder information                  On
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at  
/Users/biner/BACKUP/rdiff-backup-data
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
   Characters needing quoting                   ''
   Ownership changing                           Off
   Hard linking                                 On
   fsync() directories                          On
   Directory inc permissions                    Off
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
   Mac OS X Finder information                  On
-----------------------------------------------------------------
+ ls -RalF /Users/biner/CODE/perl/web_diag
total 80
drwxr-xr-x  7 biner  staff    238 20 Jul  2004 ./
drwxr-xr-x  5 biner  staff    170 20 Jul  2004 ../
drwxr-xr-x  5 biner  staff    170 20 Jul  2004 CVS/
-rwxr--r--  1 biner  staff     29 16 Feb  2004 job.sh*
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff   9463 16 Feb  2004 web1.pl
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff  11152 17 Feb  2004 web2.pl
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff  11041 16 Feb  2004 web2.pl~

/Users/biner/CODE/perl/web_diag/CVS:
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  5 biner  staff  170 20 Jul  2004 ./
drwxr-xr-x  7 biner  staff  238 20 Jul  2004 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff   15 17 Dec  2003 Entries
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff    9 17 Dec  2003 Repository
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff   16 17 Dec  2003 Root
+ ls -RalF /Users/biner/BACKUP/Users/biner/CODE/perl/web_diag
total 80
drwxr-xr-x  7 biner  staff    238 20 Jul  2004 ./
drwxr-xr-x  5 biner  staff    170 20 Jul  2004 ../
drwxr-xr-x  5 biner  staff    170 20 Jul  2004 CVS/
-rwxr--r--  1 biner  staff     29 16 Feb  2004 job.sh*
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff   9463 16 Feb  2004 web1.pl
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff  11152 17 Feb  2004 web2.pl
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff  11041 16 Feb  2004 web2.pl~

/Users/biner/BACKUP/Users/biner/CODE/perl/web_diag/CVS:
total 24
drwxr-xr-x  5 biner  staff  170 20 Jul  2004 ./
drwxr-xr-x  7 biner  staff  238 20 Jul  2004 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff   15 17 Dec  2003 Entries
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff    9 17 Dec  2003 Repository
-rw-r--r--  1 biner  staff   16 17 Dec  2003 Root
+ rm -rf toto
+ rdiff-backup -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto
Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at toto
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for destination (read/write) file system:
   Characters needing quoting                   '^a-z0-9_ -.'
   Ownership changing                           Off
   Hard linking                                 On
   fsync() directories                          On
   Directory inc permissions                    Off
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
   Mac OS X Finder information                  On
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Detected abilities for source (read only) file system:
   Access control lists                         Off
   Extended attributes                          Off
   Mac OS X style resource forks                On
   Mac OS X Finder information                  On
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/sw/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
     rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 259, in Main
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 239, in take_action
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 465, in Restore
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 45, in Restore
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 307, in patch
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/rorpiter.py", line 181, in FillInIter
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 264, in get_diffs_from_collated
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 277, in get_diff
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 363, in get_fp
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 357, in get_rf
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 382, in add_rfs
   File  
"/sw/src/root-rdiff-backup-0.13.4-1/sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages/
rdiff_backup/restore.py", line 698, in __call__
AssertionError: (('Users', 'biner', 'CODE', 'perl', 'web_diag'),  
('Users', 'biner', 'CODE', 'perl', 'web_diag', 'CVS', 'Root'))
[sbiner:~/travail/test_rdiffbackup] biner%
##### end of output


------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Sébastien Biner
[hidden email]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
spécialiste
groupe de simulations climatiques
Ouranos
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_
550 Sherbrooke O, 19e étage
Montréal, PQ
H3A 1B9
t : 514.282.6464.263
f : 514.282.7131


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSX and capital letters issue? + restore problems

Andrew Ferguson-3
Sébastien Biner wrote:

> Thanks for the help.
> After I wrote my email, I finally found that my problem was already
> mentionned on the mailing list. Sorry I should have looked more carefully.
> I have installed rdiff-backup with fink so I have version 0.13.4-1. From
> the man I though I could not use the --override-chars-to-quote '' option
> but it works anyways. I now have directory and file with capital letter
> in the backup.
>
> My problem right now is that I am unable to make a restore from my
> backup. At the end of this email you will find the script and its
> output. I am clueless as to what is the problem, since the directory
> where the problem seems to happen is identical in the original and in
> the backup (this is why I list these directories in the middle of the
> script).

You need to put --override-chars-to-quote '' every time you call
rdiff-backup. For example, you need it in the line:
rdiff-backup -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto
it should be:
rdiff-backup --verride-chars-to-quote '' -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto

--
Andrew Ferguson - [hidden email]



_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSX and capital letters issue? + restore problems

Sébastien Maret-2
Andrew Ferguson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Sébastien Biner wrote:
>> Thanks for the help.
>> After I wrote my email, I finally found that my problem was already
>> mentionned on the mailing list. Sorry I should have looked more carefully.
>> I have installed rdiff-backup with fink so I have version 0.13.4-1. From
>> the man I though I could not use the --override-chars-to-quote '' option
>> but it works anyways. I now have directory and file with capital letter
>> in the backup.
>>
>> My problem right now is that I am unable to make a restore from my
>> backup. At the end of this email you will find the script and its
>> output. I am clueless as to what is the problem, since the directory
>> where the problem seems to happen is identical in the original and in
>> the backup (this is why I list these directories in the middle of the
>> script).
>
> You need to put --override-chars-to-quote '' every time you call
> rdiff-backup. For example, you need it in the line:
> rdiff-backup -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto
> it should be:
> rdiff-backup --verride-chars-to-quote '' -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto

What does this option do? It's undocumented.

Sébastien




_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSX and capital letters issue? + restore problems

Sébastien Biner
In reply to this post by Andrew Ferguson-3
Thanks for the help,

I tried adding --override-chars-to-quote '' before -r but I still get  
the same problem.

Thanks anyways.
Ciao!


Le 06-02-16, à 17:13, Andrew Ferguson a écrit :

> Sébastien Biner wrote:
>> Thanks for the help.
>> After I wrote my email, I finally found that my problem was already
>> mentionned on the mailing list. Sorry I should have looked more  
>> carefully.
>> I have installed rdiff-backup with fink so I have version 0.13.4-1.  
>> From
>> the man I though I could not use the --override-chars-to-quote ''  
>> option
>> but it works anyways. I now have directory and file with capital  
>> letter
>> in the backup.
>>
>> My problem right now is that I am unable to make a restore from my
>> backup. At the end of this email you will find the script and its
>> output. I am clueless as to what is the problem, since the directory
>> where the problem seems to happen is identical in the original and in
>> the backup (this is why I list these directories in the middle of the
>> script).
>
> You need to put --override-chars-to-quote '' every time you call
> rdiff-backup. For example, you need it in the line:
> rdiff-backup -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP toto
> it should be:
> rdiff-backup --verride-chars-to-quote '' -r now /Users/biner/BACKUP  
> toto
>
> --  
> Andrew Ferguson - [hidden email]
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
> http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL:  
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Sébastien Biner
[hidden email]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
spécialiste
groupe de simulations climatiques
Ouranos
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_
550 Sherbrooke O, 19e étage
Montréal, PQ
H3A 1B9
t : 514.282.6464.263
f : 514.282.7131


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at [hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki