Official homepage and the wiki

Diogo F. S. Ramos
I get the impression that <http://stumpwm.org/> is the official homepage
for StumpWM. Is that right?

If that so, the left menu has a "Community" entry that has a link to a
wiki other than <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl>. Also, the
present url, <http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/>, is apparently dead.

Isn't <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl> the official wiki?

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Shawn Betts-3
On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Diogo F. S. Ramos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I get the impression that <http://stumpwm.org/> is the official homepage
> for StumpWM. Is that right?
>
> If that so, the left menu has a "Community" entry that has a link to a
> wiki other than <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl>. Also, the
> present url, <http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/>, is apparently dead.
>
> Isn't <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl> the official wiki?

My understanding is that the svkt wiki is in read only mode. Someone
is working on hosting it in read/write mode but I don't know where
they're at with that.

-Shawn

Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Diogo F. S. Ramos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I get the impression that <http://stumpwm.org/> is the official homepage
>> for StumpWM. Is that right?
>>
>> If that so, the left menu has a "Community" entry that has a link to a
>> wiki other than <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl>. Also, the
>> present url, <http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/>, is apparently dead.
>>
>> Isn't <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl> the official wiki?
>
> My understanding is that the svkt wiki is in read only mode. Someone
> is working on hosting it in read/write mode but I don't know where
> they're at with that.

I see.

So, can we improve the situation?

I see that the link at <http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/> is still
dead. Can the wiki be hosted somewhere else? Can the contents of svkt be
copied to the antidesktop wiki, once it's back online, so we can improve
it? Or link to the svkt wiki from stumpwm.org?

Or maybe a wiki is not that useful after all.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Max Mikhanosha-2
At Wed, 02 May 2012 11:34:26 -0300,
Diogo F. S. Ramos wrote:

> Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Diogo F. S. Ramos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I get the impression that <http://stumpwm.org/> is the official homepage
> >> for StumpWM. Is that right?
> >>
> >> If that so, the left menu has a "Community" entry that has a link to a
> >> wiki other than <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl>. Also, the
> >> present url, <http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/>, is apparently dead.
> >>
> >> Isn't <http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl> the official wiki?
> >
> > My understanding is that the svkt wiki is in read only mode. Someone
> > is working on hosting it in read/write mode but I don't know where
> > they're at with that.
>
> I see.
>
> So, can we improve the situation?
>
> I see that the link at <http://stumpwm.antidesktop.net/> is still
> dead. Can the wiki be hosted somewhere else? Can the contents of svkt be
> copied to the antidesktop wiki, once it's back online, so we can improve
> it? Or link to the svkt wiki from stumpwm.org?
>
> Or maybe a wiki is not that useful after all.

IMHO should just use GitHub, as it provides issue tracker, and
programmer friendly wiki where you can post highlighted code
snippets. Why reinvent the wheel, and any kind of "I'll host it on my
DSL connection" type situation is more likely to stop working then github.

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Shawn Betts-3
> IMHO should just use GitHub, as it provides issue tracker, and
> programmer friendly wiki where you can post highlighted code
> snippets. Why reinvent the wheel, and any kind of "I'll host it on my
> DSL connection" type situation is more likely to stop working then github.

Does anyone want to volunteer to port the existing wiki over to github?

-Shawn

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Michael Markert
On Thu, May 03 2012 (19:03), Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> IMHO should just use GitHub, as it provides issue tracker, and
>> programmer friendly wiki where you can post highlighted code
>> snippets. Why reinvent the wheel, and any kind of "I'll host it on my
>> DSL connection" type situation is more likely to stop working then github.
>>

> Does anyone want to volunteer to port the existing wiki over to github?

I'd be willing to put some time into it.

Are there plans to create a github repository or is there already one?

Given that there are so many stumpwm repositories on github it would be
useful to create an stumpwm organization to make the "official" one
stand out.

Michael

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

David Bjergaard-2
What does this entail? I don't have lisp chops, but I do want to
contribute to the StumpWM project. I don't know what kind of time I
could donate either, but I am interested in helping.

      Dave

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What does this entail? I don't have lisp chops, but I do want to
> contribute to the StumpWM project. I don't know what kind of time I
> could donate either, but I am interested in helping.

It looks like you can pull the wiki down through git, edit it, and
push the changes. Which means one could theoretically write a program
to translate oddmuse to whatever format github uses. That's definitely
a plus.

I've created a stumpwm repo on my github account.

http://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm

I think it's important that those with commit access and who are
actually contributing to stumpwm are on board. Otherwise, this is all
rather pointless :).

-Shawn

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Diogo F. S. Ramos
Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What does this entail? I don't have lisp chops, but I do want to
>> contribute to the StumpWM project. I don't know what kind of time I
>> could donate either, but I am interested in helping.
>
> It looks like you can pull the wiki down through git, edit it, and
> push the changes. Which means one could theoretically write a program
> to translate oddmuse to whatever format github uses. That's definitely
> a plus.
>
> I've created a stumpwm repo on my github account.
>
> http://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm
>
> I think it's important that those with commit access and who are
> actually contributing to stumpwm are on board. Otherwise, this is all
> rather pointless :).

/me is definitely on board for pushing stumpwm forward :^)

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Wojciech Meyer-4
Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What does this entail? I don't have lisp chops, but I do want to
>> contribute to the StumpWM project. I don't know what kind of time I
>> could donate either, but I am interested in helping.
>
> It looks like you can pull the wiki down through git, edit it, and
> push the changes. Which means one could theoretically write a program
> to translate oddmuse to whatever format github uses. That's definitely
> a plus.
>
> I've created a stumpwm repo on my github account.
>
> http://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm

+1

> I think it's important that those with commit access and who are
> actually contributing to stumpwm are on board. Otherwise, this is all
> rather pointless :).

> -Shawn

Wojciech

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

David Bjergaard-2
I see the wiki on Shawn's github page, is that what you mean by:
>> It looks like you can pull the wiki down through git, edit it, and
>> push the changes. Which means one could theoretically write a program
>> to translate oddmuse to whatever format github uses. That's definitely
>> a plus.

If so, then the challenge is to write a program that parses oddmuse to
github markdown? If so, how does one pull the oddmuse text from the
current wiki? Is there a way to do it with wget?

        Dave

David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> writes:

> I see the wiki on Shawn's github page, is that what you mean by:
>>> It looks like you can pull the wiki down through git, edit it, and
>>> push the changes. Which means one could theoretically write a program
>>> to translate oddmuse to whatever format github uses. That's definitely
>>> a plus.
>
> If so, then the challenge is to write a program that parses oddmuse to
> github markdown? If so, how does one pull the oddmuse text from the
> current wiki? Is there a way to do it with wget?

The svkt wiki doesn't seem to have a lot of articles.

Maybe some manual work will do.

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Diogo F. S. Ramos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David Bjergaard <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I see the wiki on Shawn's github page, is that what you mean by:
>>
>> If so, then the challenge is to write a program that parses oddmuse to
>> github markdown? If so, how does one pull the oddmuse text from the
>> current wiki? Is there a way to do it with wget?
>
> The svkt wiki doesn't seem to have a lot of articles.
>
> Maybe some manual work will do.

I've uploaded a snapshot of the ratpoison and stumpwm wikis here:

https://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm/downloads

You prolly need to check for changes since but it should be a good
starting point.

-Shawn

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

sam kleinman
On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:12:27AM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
> I've created a stumpwm repo on my github account.
>
> http://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm
>
> I think it's important that those with commit access and who are
> actually contributing to stumpwm are on board. Otherwise, this is all
> rather pointless :).

Github has "organizations" which are sort of like "meta-users" that make
it easy (easier?) to have group projects that aren't just "in one user's
account." Here:

https://github.com/account/organizations/new

I'll work on docs stuff if its easier to do that this way :)

Cheers,
sam

--
Sam Kleinman (tychoish):
 - [hidden email]

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM, sam kleinman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:12:27AM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
>> I've created a stumpwm repo on my github account.
>>
>> http://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm
>>
>> I think it's important that those with commit access and who are
>> actually contributing to stumpwm are on board. Otherwise, this is all
>> rather pointless :).
>
> Github has "organizations" which are sort of like "meta-users" that make
> it easy (easier?) to have group projects that aren't just "in one user's
> account." Here:
>
> https://github.com/account/organizations/new
>
> I'll work on docs stuff if its easier to do that this way :)

I'd like to hear from Vitaly, Julian, and Ben before we commit to
switching the git repo to github. But assuming they're fine with it,
an organization seems like a useful way to go to give them all commit
access to the same repo. That would beat sending me pull requests all
the time.

-Shawn

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Michael Markert
On Thu, May 03 2012 (19:03), Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> IMHO should just use GitHub, as it provides issue tracker, and
>> programmer friendly wiki where you can post highlighted code
>> snippets. Why reinvent the wheel, and any kind of "I'll host it on my
>> DSL connection" type situation is more likely to stop working then github.
>>

> Does anyone want to volunteer to port the existing wiki over to github?

I just converted all pages (excluding the user pages) to markdown and
included them here

    https://github.com/cofi/stumpwm/wiki

until Shawn merges the wiki into his.

Please have a look for messed up markup, broken links and the like.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that most information is outdated :/ So
there's still a lot of work to be done.

Greetings,
Michael

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Shawn Betts-3
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Michael Markert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 03 2012 (19:03), Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> IMHO should just use GitHub, as it provides issue tracker, and
>>> programmer friendly wiki where you can post highlighted code
>>> snippets. Why reinvent the wheel, and any kind of "I'll host it on my
>>> DSL connection" type situation is more likely to stop working then github.
>>>

>> Does anyone want to volunteer to port the existing wiki over to github?
>
> I just converted all pages (excluding the user pages) to markdown and
> included them here
>
>    https://github.com/cofi/stumpwm/wiki
>
> until Shawn merges the wiki into his.

Merged. Thanks a lot!

-Shawn

Re: Official homepage and the wiki

Lucas Pandolfo

On 4 May 2012 19:26, Michael Markert <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, May 03 2012 (19:03), Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please have a look for messed up markup, broken links and the like.

Minor details:

Image besides "By sepisultrum" is not an image at all.

On Sat, May 05 2012 (01:41), Lucas Pandolfo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 May 2012 19:26, Michael Markert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 03 2012 (19:03), Shawn Betts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please have a look for messed up markup, broken links and the like.
>>

> Minor details:
>
> https://github.com/cofi/stumpwm/wiki/NewLogo:
>
> Link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_(Discworld) broken.
>
> Image besides "By sepisultrum" is not an image at all.
>
> The page: http://www.alice-dsl.net/david.hansen/stumpwm.jpg is 404ed.
You can directly edit the pages on the wiki.

I just corrected them at sabetts/stumpwm, thanks for spotting!

Michael