On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

ewl+rdiffbackup
Hi,

I'm just curious how the spread is and it takes you 10 secs to answer:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18955581

Thanks, Eric

Re: On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

Arrigo Marchiori
Hello,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 05:02:47PM +0000, EricZolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just curious how the spread is and it takes you 10 secs to answer:
>
> https://www.strawpoll.me/18955581

FWIW I have been using rdiff-backup on FreeBSD for some years (only on
Linux today).

Maybe you could change "Linux" into "Unix"?

--
rigo

http://rigo.altervista.org

Re: On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

ewl+rdiffbackup
Hi,

fair remark but I can't change the poll now, I'll count you nevertheless as one BSD.

Keep the feedback coming,
Eric

On November 17, 2019 8:58:29 PM UTC, Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 05:02:47PM +0000, EricZolf wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just curious how the spread is and it takes you 10 secs to
>answer:
>>
>> https://www.strawpoll.me/18955581
>
>FWIW I have been using rdiff-backup on FreeBSD for some years (only on
>Linux today).
>
>Maybe you could change "Linux" into "Unix"?

Re: On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

chuck odonnell
FreeBSD here as well, multiple production servers. rdiff-backup has been
our primary backup tool since the early 2000's. At the moment
responsible for ~4tb of data.

On 11/17/2019 4:16 PM, EricZolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> fair remark but I can't change the poll now, I'll count you nevertheless as one BSD.
>
> Keep the feedback coming,
> Eric
>
> On November 17, 2019 8:58:29 PM UTC, Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 05:02:47PM +0000, EricZolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm just curious how the spread is and it takes you 10 secs to
>> answer:
>>> https://www.strawpoll.me/18955581
>> FWIW I have been using rdiff-backup on FreeBSD for some years (only on
>> Linux today).
>>
>> Maybe you could change "Linux" into "Unix"?

RE: On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

Robinson, Eric-2
Linux. Mostly RHEL and CentOS.

Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

RE: On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

Robinson, Eric-2
I should add that we use it extensively and rely on it for production. Keep up the good work!

FreeBSD here as well, multiple production servers. rdiff-backup has been our primary backup tool since the early 2000's. At the moment responsible for ~4tb of data.

On 11/17/2019 4:16 PM, EricZolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> fair remark but I can't change the poll now, I'll count you nevertheless as one BSD.
>
> Keep the feedback coming,
> Eric
>
> On November 17, 2019 8:58:29 PM UTC, Arrigo Marchiori <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 05:02:47PM +0000, EricZolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm just curious how the spread is and it takes you 10 secs to
>> answer:
>>> https://www.strawpoll.me/18955581
>> FWIW I have been using rdiff-backup on FreeBSD for some years (only
>> on Linux today).
>>
>> Maybe you could change "Linux" into "Unix"?
Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.
Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

Re: On which platforms are you using rdiff-backup? - Straw Poll

ewl+rdiffbackup

short update on the results of the poll:

- we had 44 votes (some 10% of the 379 participants of this list)
Linux   | 37 votes | 84%
Windows |  5 votes | 11%
Mac     |  2 votes |  5%
FreeBSD |  2 votes | (off-survey)

We'll focus hence on Linux and Windows. For an official support of other
platforms, we need volunteers to take ownership, but we can't really
test and compile or troubleshoot issues (even if we'll do our best to
not break compatibility, and will be supportive in case of bug on those
platforms).

And I promise to put more platform options for the next survey :-)

Thanks for taking part,
Eric