Package management for StumpWM

duncan_bayne
Hi All,

I've just purchased a new laptop (ThinkPad, only one on the market
with a decent keyboard) and I'm looking to start my first serious bit
of StumpWM hacking: a module for controlling monitors.

My rough idea is to use StumpWM to control xrandr to query displays,
switch them on and off, etc.

I've had a look on Google but can't find any evidence of a package
management system for StumpWM.  I was hoping for something like
RubyGems, so I could package up my monitor management code for others
to install with a one-liner.

Does such a system exist?  Would it make sense for me to extend
StumpWM in that fashion first?  Any pointers (heh) would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Duncan Bayne
ph: +61 420 817 082 | web: http://duncan-bayne.github.com/ | skype: duncan_bayne

Re: Package management for StumpWM

Diogo F. S. Ramos
Duncan Bayne <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've had a look on Google but can't find any evidence of a package
> management system for StumpWM.  I was hoping for something like
> RubyGems, so I could package up my monitor management code for others
> to install with a one-liner.
>
> Does such a system exist?  Would it make sense for me to extend
> StumpWM in that fashion first?  Any pointers (heh) would be greatly
> appreciated.

I don't think stumpwm has a package manager, BUT, here is some
information about it:
<http://stumpwm.svkt.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/StumpWM_Package_Guidlines>

Lurking around the IRC channel and here I get the feeling that the
preferred method for distributing new libraries to stumpwm is making
them quicklisp friendly.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos

Re: Package management for StumpWM

duncan_bayne
> There's a comment in the load-module
> function (in module.lisp) that suggests perhaps in the future load-module
> should use asdf to load modules. If that was implemented (or even better if
> it was made quicklisp aware) then package management could become much
> easier. It shouldn't be a difficult task, if only someone had the time to do
> it of course!

Quicklisp is great, but there's no (documented) way of creating your own dists:

"You will be able to make your own private repositories of Quicklisp
software (called dists), but it's not documented right now."

Given that Quicklisp is curated, it doesn't seem like a great place to
put (likely experimental) StumpWM add-ins.

Taking the 'wishful thinking' approach, what I want to be able to do
is put something like the following at the start of my .stumpwmrc:

(load-module "stump-monitors"
"git://github.com/duncan-bayne/stump-monitors.git")

... and have that Just Work (TM) as you'd expect.

--
Duncan Bayne
ph: +61 420 817 082 | web: http://duncan-bayne.github.com/ | skype: duncan_bayne

Re: Package management for StumpWM

David Bjergaard-2
For what its worth, and since I couldn't do it, its probably not worth
that much, your proposal doesn't seem that bad as long as there are some
conventions that are followed.

Run a "git clone" into a specified module directory in stump's path
(similar things are done with contrib now) and then load the module as
you would a contrib module now...

I don't think there are enough modules floating around to warrant a
dedicated package management system. Emacs doesn't have a unified one
yet, and there is a plethora of elisp scattered all over the web.  I
think your best bet is to grow up your module on github, advertise it
here and the wiki, and when its stable get it added to contrib.

I have no authority though, people higher up will probably give better
advice.

        Dave

Duncan Bayne <[hidden email]> writes:

>> There's a comment in the load-module
>> function (in module.lisp) that suggests perhaps in the future load-module
>> should use asdf to load modules. If that was implemented (or even better if
>> it was made quicklisp aware) then package management could become much
>> easier. It shouldn't be a difficult task, if only someone had the time to do
>> it of course!
>
> Quicklisp is great, but there's no (documented) way of creating your own dists:
>
> "You will be able to make your own private repositories of Quicklisp
> software (called dists), but it's not documented right now."
>
> Given that Quicklisp is curated, it doesn't seem like a great place to
> put (likely experimental) StumpWM add-ins.
>
> Taking the 'wishful thinking' approach, what I want to be able to do
> is put something like the following at the start of my .stumpwmrc:
>
> (load-module "stump-monitors"
> "git://github.com/duncan-bayne/stump-monitors.git")
>
> ... and have that Just Work (TM) as you'd expect.

Re: Package management for StumpWM

scottjad
On Wed, Mar 28 2012,Duncan Bayne wrote:

> My rough idea is to use StumpWM to control xrandr to query displays,
> switch them on and off, etc.

Cool, I could definitely use that and look forward to seeing it.

> I've had a look on Google but can't find any evidence of a package
> management system for StumpWM.  I was hoping for something like
> RubyGems, so I could package up my monitor management code for others
> to install with a one-liner.
>
> Does such a system exist?  Would it make sense for me to extend
> StumpWM in that fashion first?  Any pointers (heh) would be greatly
> appreciated.

There was a recent discussion of this under the subject "Contrib" on
this mailing list.

Also daimrod on irc was adding an emacs-like load-path to stumpwm.

Your proposal looks like el-get.

Cheers,
Scott

Re: Package management for StumpWM

duncan_bayne
> Cool, I could definitely use that and look forward to seeing it.

Glad to hear it :-)

> There was a recent discussion of this under the subject "Contrib" on
> this mailing list.
>
> Also daimrod on irc was adding an emacs-like load-path to stumpwm.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

> Your proposal looks like el-get.

Having taken a look at el-get I agree ... definitely will be checking
that project for some ideas.

--
Duncan Bayne
ph: +61 420 817 082 | web: http://duncan-bayne.github.com/ | skype: duncan_bayne

Re: Package management for StumpWM

Daimrod
Duncan Bayne <[hidden email]> writes:

>> There's a comment in the load-module
>> function (in module.lisp) that suggests perhaps in the future load-module
>> should use asdf to load modules. If that was implemented (or even better if
>> it was made quicklisp aware) then package management could become much
>> easier. It shouldn't be a difficult task, if only someone had the time to do
>> it of course!
>
> Quicklisp is great, but there's no (documented) way of creating your own dists:
>
> "You will be able to make your own private repositories of Quicklisp
> software (called dists), but it's not documented right now."
>
> Given that Quicklisp is curated, it doesn't seem like a great place to
> put (likely experimental) StumpWM add-ins.
>
> Taking the 'wishful thinking' approach, what I want to be able to do
> is put something like the following at the start of my .stumpwmrc:
>
> (load-module "stump-monitors"
> "git://github.com/duncan-bayne/stump-monitors.git")
>
> ... and have that Just Work (TM) as you'd expect.

As scotj mentionned, I've patched stumpwm to use ASDF to load module.

See here https://github.com/daimrod/Stumpwm
and my configuration https://github.com/daimrod/Stwumpwm-config

This way you can make a system with ASDF, thus you'll be Quicklisp
friendly. So one could clone a module in ~/quicklisp/local-projects/ and
quickload it (from the REPL or using :depends-on see my stumpwm-init.asd)