Partially encrypted server, and modifying files during backup

Partially encrypted server, and modifying files during backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi,

I had two quick questions about Duplicity:

- My boot drive is unencrypted, but the drive I am backing up is encrypted using LUKS. I want to make sure that running Duplicity never causes data from the encrypted drive to end up on the unencrypted one. I already changed the temp and archive directories. Should this be sufficient?

- Does Duplicity cope ok if files are added during backup? What if a file that is being backed up is modified?

Kind regards,
Oliver

Re: Partially encrypted server, and modifying files during backup

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi,

If you set temp and archive dirs, then nothing should go to your boot (system?) drive.

If files are added after backup starts they will be skipped until the next incremental.

If files are modified during backup it depends on read locking.  If the file is read locked it is skipped,  If unlocked the file will be backed up in whatever state it's in.  There is no checking for concurrent use at all, other than obeying read locks.

...Ken