Planned Downtime

Allen Wyma
We do a daily backup of our VMs, and I’m curious if there’s a way to do a planned downtime for the hosts everyday say from 5am until 5:30 or something like that. Or would it just be easier to just cronjob turn off and on my M/Monit instance?

Re: Planned Downtime

Paul Theodoropoulos
On 7/17/17 3:31 AM, Allen Wyma wrote:
> We do a daily backup of our VMs, and I’m curious if there’s a way to do a planned downtime for the hosts everyday say from 5am until 5:30 or something like that. Or would it just be easier to just cronjob turn off and on my M/Monit instance?

monit has pseudo-cron capabilities.

# check some.application on db1
check program some.application.monitor
with path /usr/local/bin/check_application_wrapper
not every "00-30 05 * * *"

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com

Re: Planned Downtime

Allen Wyma
Sounds good, but this is in regards to M/Monit. Problem is we lose connection to the M/Monit instance and M/Monit complains:

No report from Monit for 16 seconds: the network, the host or Monit is down. Last report was 18 Jul 2017 06:40:29 +0800
On 18 Jul 2017, at 1:28 AM, Paul Theodoropoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 7/17/17 3:31 AM, Allen Wyma wrote:
We do a daily backup of our VMs, and I’m curious if there’s a way to do a planned downtime for the hosts everyday say from 5am until 5:30 or something like that. Or would it just be easier to just cronjob turn off and on my M/Monit instance?

monit has pseudo-cron capabilities.

# check some.application on db1
check program some.application.monitor
with path /usr/local/bin/check_application_wrapper
not every "00-30 05 * * *"

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com

Re: Planned Downtime

martinp@tildeslash.com
You can use the M/Monit HTTP-API to switch the host status to "ignored" before the planned downtime starts and back to "active" when it stops ... see the /admin/hosts/update method for details:

        https://mmonit.com/documentation/http-api/Methods/Admin_Hosts

Example of simple script:

        https://mmonit.com/documentation/http-api/Examples/cURL

Best regards,