Planner/Muse much slower under Windows

Claus-5
Hi Planner-Users,

anybody else using Planner/Muse-mode on a Windows machine with a large
number of plan-files? I'm using six project-pages and around 600
day-files (daily pages reaching back until 2005). OK, I should start
archiving, but let's forget that for a moment.

Now, under Windows, saving my daily planner page takes ~ 30 seconds,
no matter how minor my changes were. That makes keeping the flow hard.

On my Linux machine at home, the same action takes ~ 3 seconds.

That huge difference made me fire up the profile and investigate:

1. Windows and Linux seem to be treated differently by Muse. If I'm
not mistaken, under Windows all plan-files are always re-read from
disk no matter what.

2. Just raising a Task priority on my day-page, then saving it results
in > 34000 calls to "file-directory-p" on Windows. This function alone
taking up 23 of the total 30 seconds of saving-time.

For the fun of it I set "muse-under-windows-p" to nil on my Windows
(XP) machine. As expected: Instant speedup! :) Now the question
remains: How save it this??

Debugging function "muse-project-file-alist" suggested Muse is using
the last-modification attributes now, which *looked like* it works
under Windows. But alas, I'm not savvy enough in Elisp to be sure.

I'm wondering if those 34000 calls to "file-directory-p" are really necessary?

Thanks,
Claus

Re: Planner/Muse much slower under Windows

Raymond Zeitler-3
Hi Claus:

I don't have an answer to your question about whether "muse-under-windows-p"
really needs to be set to t or (windows-nt) on Windows.  But here's my
experience.

I have a total of 701 *.muse files (3.2MB) in my Planner-muse directory.
That breaks down into 556 day pages and 145 project pages, most of which are
used to keep notes on old jobs.  I have (only) 42 unfinished tasks on my day
page.  My day pages go back as far as 2004.06.23.muse (when I started using
planner under emacs-wiki -- I'd since converted over to muse), but with
large gaps in between.

When I invoked M-x plan this morning, it took 67 seconds before the day page
was displayed.  During that time, I get a lot of messages like this:

C:/jrnl/Work/2007.08.27.muse and c:/jrnl/Work/2007.08.27.muse are the same
file

And like this:

Wrote c:/jrnl/Work/2007.08.31.muse

(I just noticed that the directory specified in muse-project-alist had an
upper case drive letter, whereas the string in buffer-file-name has a
lowercase c for the drive letter.  I've just changed it, so I hope I'll see
an improvement on Tuesday.)

It took only four seconds for planner to mark a task on today's page
complete.  But that task belonged to only one project page.

Both planner-raise-task and planner-raise-task-priority completed in the
blink of a tired eye, but saving the project page afterwards took about five
seconds.

I'm "running" Windows XP Pro SP2, and my planner/muse files reside on my
*local* drive.  Network access to UNC paths on Win XP is big problem.
Apparently Explorer bogs down and needs to be restarted every so often.  I
imagine access to a network drive would be slower than access to a local
drive.

Well that's all I have time for right now.

--
Raymond Zeitler <[hidden email]>

Re: Planner/Muse much slower under Windows

Chris McMahan-3
I would recommend you create subdirectories for your older pages to
get them out of the scan on startup. You might also be running into
issues with drive access that are being manifested with your UNC
problems.

Raymond Zeitler writes:

>Hi Claus:
>
>I don't have an answer to your question about whether "muse-under-windows-p"
>really needs to be set to t or (windows-nt) on Windows.  But here's my
>experience.
>
>I have a total of 701 *.muse files (3.2MB) in my Planner-muse directory.
>That breaks down into 556 day pages and 145 project pages, most of which are
>used to keep notes on old jobs.  I have (only) 42 unfinished tasks on my day
>page.  My day pages go back as far as 2004.06.23.muse (when I started using
>planner under emacs-wiki -- I'd since converted over to muse), but with
>large gaps in between.
>
>When I invoked M-x plan this morning, it took 67 seconds before the day page
>was displayed.  During that time, I get a lot of messages like this:
>
>C:/jrnl/Work/2007.08.27.muse and c:/jrnl/Work/2007.08.27.muse are the same
>file
>
>And like this:
>
>Wrote c:/jrnl/Work/2007.08.31.muse
>
>(I just noticed that the directory specified in muse-project-alist had an
>upper case drive letter, whereas the string in buffer-file-name has a
>lowercase c for the drive letter.  I've just changed it, so I hope I'll see
>an improvement on Tuesday.)
>
>It took only four seconds for planner to mark a task on today's page
>complete.  But that task belonged to only one project page.
>
>Both planner-raise-task and planner-raise-task-priority completed in the
>blink of a tired eye, but saving the project page afterwards took about five
>seconds.
>
>I'm "running" Windows XP Pro SP2, and my planner/muse files reside on my
>*local* drive.  Network access to UNC paths on Win XP is big problem.
>Apparently Explorer bogs down and needs to be restarted every so often.  I
>imagine access to a network drive would be slower than access to a local
>drive.
>
>Well that's all I have time for right now.
>
>--
>Raymond Zeitler <[hidden email]>

Hi Raymond,

thanks for the info.

> When I invoked M-x plan this morning, it took 67 seconds before the day
> page was displayed. During that time, I get a lot of messages like this:

Well, try setting

      (setq muse-under-windows-p nil)

and you'll experience instant speedup!

Use it on your own risk though since I can't oversee all possible
implications. I've been using it on my system for a week now without
any inconsistencies or hickups, but YMMV.

I was thinking of migrating from planner/muse to org-mode for
performance reasons. But using this setting I've bought myself some
time to tinker this move some more.

Claus

--

Mit freundlichem Gruß,
Claus Klingberg

Re: Planner/Muse much slower under Windows

Jing Su
Thank you very much for the tip, Claus. I just started to use planner on
my notebook yesterday, after having used it on my Linux boxes for
several years. I met exactly the same problem (30sec for saving my day
page), and almost gave up planner on Windows and shifted to org. I
followed Claus's suggestion (setq muse-under-windows-p nil) and now
saving my day page only costs 1 sec.

I guess it's a muse issue instead of a planner issue. I just would like
to suggest putting Claus's tip into the FAQ, or let planner locally set
muse-under-windows-p to nil by default under planner-mode.

Thanks,

Jing

Claus wrote:

> Hi Planner-Users,
>
> anybody else using Planner/Muse-mode on a Windows machine with a large
> number of plan-files? I'm using six project-pages and around 600
> day-files (daily pages reaching back until 2005). OK, I should start
> archiving, but let's forget that for a moment.
>
> Now, under Windows, saving my daily planner page takes ~ 30 seconds,
> no matter how minor my changes were. That makes keeping the flow hard.
>
> On my Linux machine at home, the same action takes ~ 3 seconds.
>
> That huge difference made me fire up the profile and investigate:
>
> 1. Windows and Linux seem to be treated differently by Muse. If I'm
> not mistaken, under Windows all plan-files are always re-read from
> disk no matter what.
>
> 2. Just raising a Task priority on my day-page, then saving it results
> in > 34000 calls to "file-directory-p" on Windows. This function alone
> taking up 23 of the total 30 seconds of saving-time.
>
> For the fun of it I set "muse-under-windows-p" to nil on my Windows
> (XP) machine. As expected: Instant speedup! :) Now the question
> remains: How save it this??
>
> Debugging function "muse-project-file-alist" suggested Muse is using
> the last-modification attributes now, which *looked like* it works
> under Windows. But alas, I'm not savvy enough in Elisp to be sure.
>
> I'm wondering if those 34000 calls to "file-directory-p" are really necessary?
>
> Thanks,
> Claus

Jing Su
Graduate Assistant
The Wallace H. Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Tech & Emory University
Email: [hidden email] Office: 404-385-2372