Planner Notes id

Charles philip Chan
Hello all:

I remember a while back there was talk about implementing id's for
notes. Does anyone know what is happening with this? It would be nice to
be able to edit a notes and have it auto-update on the other pages that
it appears.

Charles

Re: Planner Notes id

Timothy Hobbs

Well, it's no official implementation, but I am currently working on an ical to
planner converter which reallies on ical's UID tracking in order to allow for
updating. IE import ical twice yet prevent duplicates.  I don't currently have
any muse syntax set in stone, but I will be taking advantage of the
functionality new or otherwise.  My current syntax looks like:

#B _ SUMMARY time [[UID][|]] ([[date]])

I do the link thing so as to collapse the long ical UID.  Maybe we could have a uid://
protocol which linked to some sort of database of locations.  So that task updating could
be efficient.  Infact, that is how I'll implement my ical converter for now:

#B _ SUMMARY time [[uid://UID][|]] ([[date]])

And make a uid directory in ~/plans which has each UID as a file very similar to the
M-x planner-index

Timothy

Re: Planner Notes id

clconway
Charles,

Do you mean that you would like (planner-update-note) to be called
automatically whenever you save a Plan page containing the note? Or
something more sophisticated than that?

Chris

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Charles philip Chan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all:
>
>  I remember a while back there was talk about implementing id's for
>  notes. Does anyone know what is happening with this? It would be nice to
>  be able to edit a notes and have it auto-update on the other pages that
>  it appears.
>
>  Charles

Re: Planner Notes id

Charles philip Chan
Timothy Hobbs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Well, it's no official implementation, but I am currently working on
> an ical to planner converter which reallies on ical's UID tracking in
> order to allow for updating. IE import ical twice yet prevent
> duplicates.  I don't currently have any muse syntax set in stone, but
> I will be taking advantage of the functionality new or otherwise.  My
> current syntax looks like:
>
> #B _ SUMMARY time [[UID][|]] ([[date]])

Interesting- I look forward to seeing the result. This is the last peice
of the puzzle for my palm sync. Currently I am doing a one way sync with
a quick hack. I basically have a function that export an ical file from
the diary with "icalendar-convert-diary-to-ical" and one with
"planner-ical-export-page". It then runs a shell script that merges the
2 files into one ical file and clean it up a bit for palm category. It
then over writes the palm with empty databases and do a one way sync
with kpilot. Very hackish.

Charles

Re: Planner Notes id

Charles philip Chan
"Christopher L Conway" <[hidden email]> writes:

Hi Chris,

> Do you mean that you would like (planner-update-note) to be called
> automatically whenever you save a Plan page containing the note? Or
> something more sophisticated than that?

Something a bit more sophisticated. Doing it this way require that the
cursor is on the note and it can only do it one note at a time. IMHO,
something similiar to planner-task-id will be very much appreciated.

Charles

Re: Planner Notes id

John Sullivan-2
"Charles philip Chan" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello all:
>
> I remember a while back there was talk about implementing id's for
> notes. Does anyone know what is happening with this? It would be nice to
> be able to edit a notes and have it auto-update on the other pages that
> it appears.

It's something that's planned for the future. It's even in our tracker
and it's definitely something I want to see included :).

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer

Re: Planner Notes id

Rohan Nicholls-3
Just out of interest.  What are the ideas on how to implement this?
Is there a way
to handle this without having to keep a bunch of metadata in a seperate file?

Or would a better idea be that like the tasks, you have links on the
note's title
to everything that links to it?

Rohan