Possible bug with C-ae as a prefix-key

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possible bug with C-ae as a prefix-key

Jón Gunnar Þorsteinsson
Dear list.

In my .stumpwmrc I have:

,----
| (set-prefix-key (kbd "C-ae"))
`----

ae or æ is on:

,----
| KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
|     root 0x8f, subw 0x0, time 1031519464, (294,845), root:(295,846),
|     state 0x0, keycode 47 (keysym 0xe6, ae), same_screen YES,
|     XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a6) "æ"
|     XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a6) "æ"
|     XFilterEvent returns: False
`----

This works fine, expect when I use C-a in other programs, such as
Emacs. If I press C-a, nothing happens and Stump tells me:

,----
| C-a not bound.
`----

My verison of Stump is: 0.9.8

Is there any workaround so I can use C-ae as a prefix, or is this a bug?

--
Kind regards,
Jón Gunnar Þorsteinsson


_______________________________________________
Stumpwm-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/stumpwm-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible bug with C-ae as a prefix-key

David Bjergaard
Hi,

Do you press a modifier key to get ae? Are you trying to send a C-ae to
emacs? If that's the case, you'll need to type "C-ae ae", this is the
standard behavior for any prefix key (ie sending C-t to emacs requires
typing C-t t).  If you're setting the keycode like this:
> ,----
> | (set-prefix-key (kbd "C-ae"))
> `----
Its probably assuming that your prefix key is C-a, or C-a e (press
ctrl-a then e),  I don't know that stumpwm has support for this type of
key (it was written for the US 105 layout).  I'm not entirely sure what
it would take to support this entirely, probably adding the appropriate
keysym to key-code translator and handling the utf-8 string properly.  

If you want to open an issue on github I can look into this further,
otherwise just stick to "standard" keys for the prefix and everything
will work fine.

    Dave


Jón Gunnar Þorsteinsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear list.
>
> In my .stumpwmrc I have:
>
> ,----
> | (set-prefix-key (kbd "C-ae"))
> `----
>
> ae or æ is on:
>
> ,----
> | KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
> |     root 0x8f, subw 0x0, time 1031519464, (294,845), root:(295,846),
> |     state 0x0, keycode 47 (keysym 0xe6, ae), same_screen YES,
> |     XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a6) "æ"
> |     XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a6) "æ"
> |     XFilterEvent returns: False
> `----
>
> This works fine, expect when I use C-a in other programs, such as
> Emacs. If I press C-a, nothing happens and Stump tells me:
>
> ,----
> | C-a not bound.
> `----
>
> My verison of Stump is: 0.9.8
>
> Is there any workaround so I can use C-ae as a prefix, or is this a bug?

_______________________________________________
Stumpwm-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/stumpwm-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible bug with C-ae as a prefix-key

Jón Gunnar Þorsteinsson
Hi David,

and thanks for your reply.

My keyboard is:

,----
| XKBMODEL="pc105"
| XKBLAYOUT="is"
| XKBVARIANT=""
| XKBOPTIONS=""
`----
(/etc/default/keyboard)

So the letter 'æ' is placed on my keyboard, on the right, next to
'l'. I don't need a modifier key to insert á literal 'æ'

And it works fine setting it as a prefix key this way: C-ae - in stumpwm, except
when I try to send C-a (not C-ae) to Emacs.

In that case I have to type "C-ae ae" - and that sends, what I normally
do with only C-a in Emacs.

I tried to use a literal æ in my config but then Stumpwm replies with:

,----
| Failed to parse key string: "C-æ"
`----

I saw here:

https://github.com/stumpwm/cl-xkeysym/blob/master/keysyms.lisp

that the keycode 47 is ae:

,----
| (define-keysym #x00e6 "ae") ;U+00E6 LATIN SMALL LETTER AE
`----

By the way, I have used C-ae in Ratpoison and it works fine there:

,----
| escape C-ae
`----

In Ratpoison I can use keycode 47 as a prefix - and C-a works fine in
Emacs.

I would be grateful if this could be solved. Is this the right place
to open an issue?

https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/issues

--
Kind regards,
Jón Gunnar

Þann  1.12.2014 skrifaði David Bjergaard:

> Hi,
>
> Do you press a modifier key to get ae? Are you trying to send a C-ae to
> emacs? If that's the case, you'll need to type "C-ae ae", this is the
> standard behavior for any prefix key (ie sending C-t to emacs requires
> typing C-t t).  If you're setting the keycode like this:
>> ,----
>> | (set-prefix-key (kbd "C-ae"))
>> `----
> Its probably assuming that your prefix key is C-a, or C-a e (press
> ctrl-a then e),  I don't know that stumpwm has support for this type of
> key (it was written for the US 105 layout).  I'm not entirely sure what
> it would take to support this entirely, probably adding the appropriate
> keysym to key-code translator and handling the utf-8 string properly.  
>
> If you want to open an issue on github I can look into this further,
> otherwise just stick to "standard" keys for the prefix and everything
> will work fine.
>
>     Dave
>
>
> Jón Gunnar Þorsteinsson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Dear list.
>>
>> In my .stumpwmrc I have:
>>
>> ,----
>> | (set-prefix-key (kbd "C-ae"))
>> `----
>>
>> ae or æ is on:
>>
>> ,----
>> | KeyPress event, serial 36, synthetic NO, window 0x1000001,
>> |     root 0x8f, subw 0x0, time 1031519464, (294,845), root:(295,846),
>> |     state 0x0, keycode 47 (keysym 0xe6, ae), same_screen YES,
>> |     XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a6) "æ"
>> |     XmbLookupString gives 2 bytes: (c3 a6) "æ"
>> |     XFilterEvent returns: False
>> `----
>>
>> This works fine, expect when I use C-a in other programs, such as
>> Emacs. If I press C-a, nothing happens and Stump tells me:
>>
>> ,----
>> | C-a not bound.
>> `----
>>
>> My verison of Stump is: 0.9.8
>>
>> Is there any workaround so I can use C-ae as a prefix, or is this a bug?

_______________________________________________
Stumpwm-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/stumpwm-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible bug with C-ae as a prefix-key

David Bjergaard
Hi Jón,

I have some ideas about this, and I suspect that its got to do with they
way StumpWM parses the keysym code.  Please open an issue (your link is
correct), and I'll look into this.  It looks like a legitimate bug.

Cheers,

    Dave

Jón Gunnar Þorsteinsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> and thanks for your reply.
>
> My keyboard is:
>
> ,----
> | XKBMODEL="pc105"
> | XKBLAYOUT="is"
> | XKBVARIANT=""
> | XKBOPTIONS=""
> `----
> (/etc/default/keyboard)
>
> So the letter 'æ' is placed on my keyboard, on the right, next to
> 'l'. I don't need a modifier key to insert á literal 'æ'
>
> And it works fine setting it as a prefix key this way: C-ae - in stumpwm, except
> when I try to send C-a (not C-ae) to Emacs.
>
> In that case I have to type "C-ae ae" - and that sends, what I normally
> do with only C-a in Emacs.
>
> I tried to use a literal æ in my config but then Stumpwm replies with:
>
> ,----
> | Failed to parse key string: "C-æ"
> `----
>
> I saw here:
>
> https://github.com/stumpwm/cl-xkeysym/blob/master/keysyms.lisp
>
> that the keycode 47 is ae:
>
> ,----
> | (define-keysym #x00e6 "ae") ;U+00E6 LATIN SMALL LETTER AE
> `----
>
> By the way, I have used C-ae in Ratpoison and it works fine there:
>
> ,----
> | escape C-ae
> `----
>
> In Ratpoison I can use keycode 47 as a prefix - and C-a works fine in
> Emacs.
>
> I would be grateful if this could be solved. Is this the right place
> to open an issue?
>
> https://github.com/stumpwm/stumpwm/issues

_______________________________________________
Stumpwm-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/stumpwm-devel