Post 0.6.31 API changes

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Post 0.6.31 API changes

Ladislav Michl
Hi there,

as 6d59b8b1a0f9 ("Move callbacks from gn_data to gn_statemachine->callbacks")
breaks API, we sould probably indicate that in libary version.
Looking to the history, commit 18de817d4958 ("Prepare 0.6.31 release") even
decreased GNOKII_LT_VERSION_AGE, so I'm unsure how is libgnokii meant to
handle API/ABI changes.

I'd like to resurrect GNOME Phone Manager, so something like this is needed:
https://github.com/3x380V/phonemgr/commit/5b35631c7242
Eventually I can just require next gnokii version once (if at all) released.

Side question: libgnokii now depends on glib just to support locales in
gn_sms_send - it uses g_locale_to_utf8 which makes library behavior dependent
on current locale. Should we change to utf8 here?

Thanks,
        ladis

_______________________________________________
gnokii-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnokii-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Post 0.6.31 API changes

Pawel Kot
Hi Ladis,

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 2:25 PM Ladislav Michl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> as 6d59b8b1a0f9 ("Move callbacks from gn_data to gn_statemachine->callbacks")
> breaks API, we sould probably indicate that in libary version.

True that. I believe that in the past I have been updating libgnokii version just before doing the release.

> Looking to the history, commit 18de817d4958 ("Prepare 0.6.31 release") even
> decreased GNOKII_LT_VERSION_AGE, so I'm unsure how is libgnokii meant to
> handle API/ABI changes.

I believe 0.6.31 did:
# - If binary compatibility has been broken (eg removed or changed interfaces)
# change to C-A+1:0:0
i.e. 7.0.1 -> (7-1+1):0:0 -> 7:0:0
WIth 0.6.32 we'd change to 8:0:0

> I'd like to resurrect GNOME Phone Manager, so something like this is needed:
> https://github.com/3x380V/phonemgr/commit/5b35631c7242
> Eventually I can just require next gnokii version once (if at all) released.

Given the gap between versions, I would depend on the next gnokii version to simplify the code.

> Side question: libgnokii now depends on glib just to support locales in
> gn_sms_send - it uses g_locale_to_utf8 which makes library behavior dependent
> on current locale. Should we change to utf8 here?

That's a good question. I'm in favor of simplifying but what is the practice for using gnokii these days? If someone is still reading this mailing list and still using gnokii, can you say if you're now fully on utf8 or are the some other locales being used?

Having long break I'm now trying to restore my workflows and refresh git usage in some limited time boxes - sorry that it takes more than it should.

Cheers,
--
Pawel Kot

_______________________________________________
gnokii-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnokii-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Post 0.6.31 API changes

Ladislav Michl

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 05:02:54PM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:
> That's a good question. I'm in favor of simplifying but what is the
> practice for using gnokii these days? If someone is still reading this
> mailing list and still using gnokii, can you say if you're now fully on
> utf8 or are the some other locales being used?

For gnokii, locale code just could me moved there from libgnokii, smsd just
calls setlocale(LC_ALL, ""), but out of tree projects should be aware of
change.

Consider you are sending SMS stored in files. But libgnokii behaves
differently based on locale of current process.

> Having long break I'm now trying to restore my workflows and refresh git
> usage in some limited time boxes - sorry that it takes more than it should.

That is not a problem, of course...

        ladis

_______________________________________________
gnokii-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnokii-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Post 0.6.31 API changes

Pawel Kot
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:44 PM Ladislav Michl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 05:02:54PM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > That's a good question. I'm in favor of simplifying but what is the
> > practice for using gnokii these days? If someone is still reading this
> > mailing list and still using gnokii, can you say if you're now fully on
> > utf8 or are the some other locales being used?
>
> For gnokii, locale code just could me moved there from libgnokii, smsd just
> calls setlocale(LC_ALL, ""), but out of tree projects should be aware of
> change.

OK. Now I understand what you mean. Agree with that.

Cheers,
--
Pawel Kot

_______________________________________________
gnokii-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/gnokii-users