Potential impact of Cloudsync on posix performance

Potential impact of Cloudsync on posix performance

Yaniv Kaul
I'm looking at the code, and I'm seeing calls everywhere to posix_cs_maintenance().
perhaps we should add to the volume configuration some boolean if cloudsync feature is even enabled for that volume?
https://review.gluster.org/#/c/glusterfs/+/23576/ is a very modest effort to reduce the impact, but the real one should not be call these functions at all if cloud sync is not enabled.

Thoughts?

Y.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Potential impact of Cloudsync on posix performance

Susant Palai

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 7:00 PM Yaniv Kaul <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm looking at the code, and I'm seeing calls everywhere to posix_cs_maintenance().
perhaps we should add to the volume configuration some boolean if cloudsync feature is even enabled for that volume?
https://review.gluster.org/#/c/glusterfs/+/23576/ is a very modest effort to reduce the impact, but the real one should not be call these functions at all if cloud sync is not enabled.

Thoughts?

Agreed. This was discussed before as well. The problem is that currently there is no easy way to communicate client graph changes to server side(let me know if I am wrong,I guess we faced similar problem in RIO as well).  The performance penalty without such medium is that we have a key check in the dictionary(did I miss something else). I am of the opinion that it is really not costly.

Susant