Problem restoring files overwriting existing files

Problem restoring files overwriting existing files

gerard van Dijnsen
Hi all,

I think I ran into a bug. Restoring a simple file works ok like this:

mkdir original
echo bla > original/file
rdiff-backup original/ backup
rdiff-backup -r now backup/file file

The file is created, backed-up fine and restored without problems.
Trying this restore again yields a warning as expected:

rdiff-backup -r now backup/file file
Fatal Error: Restore target file already exists, specify --force to
overwrite.

So far so good. So we use the --force option because we would like to
overwrite. This yields the following:

rdiff-backup --force -r now backup/file file
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
286, in Main
    take_action(rps)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
266, in take_action
    elif action == "restore-as-of": Restore(rps[0], rps[1], 1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
493, in Restore
    restore_set_fs_globals(dest_rp)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
531, in restore_set_fs_globals
    target_fsa = target.conn.fs_abilities.get_fsabilities_readwrite(
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py",
line 408, in get_fsabilities_readwrite
    return FSAbilities(desc_string).init_readwrite(
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py",
line 139, in init_readwrite
    assert not rbdir.lstat(), (rbdir.path, rbdir.lstat())
AssertionError: ('file', 'reg')

I tried several times, under several conditions and I always get this
problem. I think it is a bug. Is there a workaround? Or a fix upcoming?

Sincerely,
Gerard

OpenBizz BV - Open Source Solutions

ir. Gerard van Dijnsen
Telefoon: +31648428223
e-mail: [hidden email]
Veldm. Montgomerylaan 537
5612 BM  EINDHOVEN

Re: Problem restoring files overwriting existing files

Dave Kempe
Gerard van Dijnsen wrote:
> I tried several times, under several conditions and I always get this
> problem. I think it is a bug. Is there a workaround? Or a fix upcoming?

Tried restoring to a different location?

dave