Project status?

Michael Herstine <sp1ff@pobox.com>
Hello all,

I'm wondering if this project is still active? I'm using planner, and I have a patch I'd like to submit. I e-mailed john AT wjsullivan.net as detailed under "Becoming a Planner Developer" (at https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PlannerDevelopment#toc9), but received no response.

Are any of the project admins on this list still?

--
Michael

Re: Project status?

Eric Johnson-3
Hi -

I believe planner-el is effectively dead. If you look at the history of this email list, you'll see there's very little activity. See for yourself.

Speaking for myself, I moved onto org-mode a few years ago and haven't looked back.

-Eric

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm wondering if this project is still active? I'm using planner, and I have a patch I'd like to submit. I e-mailed john AT wjsullivan.net as detailed under "Becoming a Planner Developer" (at https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PlannerDevelopment#toc9), but received no response.

Are any of the project admins on this list still?

--
Michael

Re: Project status?

mhoenicka

Sigh - am I that much of a fossil? I've been using planner mode to plan my dayjob tasks for more than 10 years now. My project blew a planner limitation years ago (a regexp stack overflow when generating the index) but otherwise everything still works. Needless to say, I loathe to change my tools as often as my underwear :-/ and would be happy if at least compatibility issues could be fixed if need arises. My skills are limited but I've managed to hack a few .el files in the past, so self-help may be the coward's way to go ahead.

regards,

Markus

At 2017-01-07 22:40, Eric Johnson was heard to say:

Hi -

I believe planner-el is effectively dead. If you look at the history of this email list, you'll see there's very little activity. See for yourself.

Speaking for myself, I moved onto org-mode a few years ago and haven't looked back.

-Eric

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm wondering if this project is still active? I'm using planner, and I have a patch I'd like to submit. I e-mailed john AT wjsullivan.net as detailed under "Becoming a Planner Developer" (at https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PlannerDevelopment#toc9), but received no response.

Are any of the project admins on this list still?

--
Michael

Markus Hoenicka http://www.mhoenicka.de AQ score 38

Re: Project status?

Michael Welle-3

Michael wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering if this project is still active? I'm using planner, and I have a
> patch I'd like to submit. I e-mailed john AT wjsullivan.net as detailed under
> "Becoming a Planner Developer" (at
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PlannerDevelopment#toc9), but received no
> response.
>
> Are any of the project admins on this list still?
the last Planner maintainer I know of is John Sullivan. Six years ago
he wrote:

|The Planner documentation is back online at
|http://www.wjsullivan.net/static/doc/planner/. It was AWOL for a while,
|sorry about that!
|
|Also look for a bugfix release soon, in the next couple of months. If
|you have patches, put them in the tracker and let me know :).

Regards
hmw

Re: Project status?

Bob Proulx
Michael wrote:
> Are any of the project admins on this list still?

I have seen long dormant projects have new life breathed into them by
people becoming active with them.  I don't know if this is one of
those cases.  Only time will tell.  But if you are still using Emacs
Planner mode and are wishing to keep it going then this is one of
those times when you can make a difference.  The code is there.  You
are using it.  I see no reason you can't keep it alive for yourself
and for the people who wish to use it too.

This is a time of year when people are often absent from the keyboard
for long-ish times.  Plus when a project has been dormant for a long
time no one is expecting activity.  Someone might have just left on a
long journey.  I suggest some patience.  But have perseverance too.

A good way to continue would be to post your patches.  That way people
can see them and review and comment upon them.  Posting them to the
mailing list would be one good way.  You could also submit them to the
bug tracker.  Often it is better to start with the mailing list for
discussion and feedback first in order to craft and mature them.

Bob

Re: Project status?

Tom Hendrix
When former maintainer Sacha Chau switched to org-mode, so did I.  Maybe it can work for you, too.

- Tom (also a fossil)

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> > Are any of the project admins on this list still?
you replied to my posting, but didn't cite anything I said, so to
avoid confusion: I'm not the same Michael who started this thread ;).

Regards
hmw

Re: Project status?

Bob Proulx wrote:
> I have seen long dormant projects have new life breathed into them by
> people becoming active with them.
<snip>

Bob, you read my mind. It seemed to me that the project had gone dormant when I posted, but I didn't want to presume. I use planner heavily, and it seems there are still some other users out there. Let me post my patch & see what the response is like (will start a separate thread).

--
Michael

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Michael Welle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Bob Proulx wrote:

> Michael wrote:
> > Are any of the project admins on this list still?
you replied to my posting, but didn't cite anything I said, so to
avoid confusion: I'm not the same Michael who started this thread ;).

Regards
hmw

Re: Project status?

mhoenicka

Yes, I assume org-mode could be set up to do what I do in planner mode today. It is only that spare time is extremely precious at this time in my life, so I try to avoid replacing one working system with another unless I have to, especially if it is mission-critical, sort of. If it was only laziness or inertia, I'd kick myself in the ass...

regards,Markus

At 2017-01-08 21:59, Tom Hendrix was heard to say:

[...]

lctbts
Michael,

If you still use it, it's not dead.  :)

I'm not entirely sure of the process, but you could become the maintainer yourself.

Which would be awesome, IMO.

Or fork it on GitHub with a note that it's your planner.el with your patch.

Or at the very least add the patch to the emacs wiki page for planner.

I'm not using anything at the moment.  But I remember planner being very sweet.

- L