Published Notes Formatting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Published Notes Formatting

shawn boles-3
Hello!

I have been using planner for a while now and I love it it.  But! I do
have a small, lingering issue that I can not seem to get sorted out:

I am not sure that I understand the formatting of published pages.  I
am mostly concerned with Notes formatting.

For example, a note with multiple newline delimited paragraphs like this:

Line 1

Line 2

Line 3

Gets published as Line1 Line 2 Line 3

A list of items like this:

- List item 1
- List item 2
- List item 3

Gets published as - List item 1 - List item 2 - List item 3

In the planner documentation I see references to
planner-publishing-markup.  In my case, the basic Muse markup (as
described in the Muse Quick Start document at mwolson.org) is just
fine.  Why do all of my lines run together?  Maybe I am missing
something in my planner configuration.  I appreciate any suggestions!

Details:

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (Windows XP)
muse.el version 3.12

planner configuration:

(require 'muse-wiki)
(require 'planner)
(require 'remember-planner)
(require 'planner-publish)
(require 'planner-trunk)

(setq planner-project "WikiPlanner")
(setq muse-project-alist
      '(("WikiPlanner"
         ("~/plans"
           :default "index"
           :force-publish ("index")
           :major-mode planner-mode
           :visit-link planner-visit-link)
         (:base "planner-html" :path "~/publish_html/plans")
                                 )))
(setq muse-wiki-allow-nonexistent-wikiword t)

Thank you!
shawn

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Published Notes Formatting

mhoenicka
Hi,

shawn boles writes:
 > For example, a note with multiple newline delimited paragraphs like this:
 >
 > Line 1
 >
 > Line 2
 >
 > Line 3
 >
 > Gets published as Line1 Line 2 Line 3

This actually should work. Are you sure your sources do not contain

Line 1
Line 2
Line 3

??


 >
 > A list of items like this:
 >
 > - List item 1
 > - List item 2
 > - List item 3
 >
 > Gets published as - List item 1 - List item 2 - List item 3
 >

I use (note the leading spaces):

 - List item 1
 - List item 2
 - List item 3

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
[hidden email]
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting

Chris-653
In reply to this post by shawn boles-3
shawn boles wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have been using planner for a while now and I love it it.  But! I do
> have a small, lingering issue that I can not seem to get sorted out:
>
> I am not sure that I understand the formatting of published pages.  I
> am mostly concerned with Notes formatting.
>
> For example, a note with multiple newline delimited paragraphs like this:
>
> Line 1
>
> Line 2
>
> Line 3
>
> Gets published as Line1 Line 2 Line 3
>
> A list of items like this:
>
> - List item 1
> - List item 2
> - List item 3
>
> Gets published as - List item 1 - List item 2 - List item 3
>
> In the planner documentation I see references to
> planner-publishing-markup.  In my case, the basic Muse markup (as
> described in the Muse Quick Start document at mwolson.org) is just
> fine.  Why do all of my lines run together?  Maybe I am missing
> something in my planner configuration.  I appreciate any suggestions!
>
> Details:
>
> GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (Windows XP)
> muse.el version 3.12
>
> planner configuration:
>
> (require 'muse-wiki)
> (require 'planner)
> (require 'remember-planner)
> (require 'planner-publish)
> (require 'planner-trunk)
>
> (setq planner-project "WikiPlanner")
> (setq muse-project-alist
>       '(("WikiPlanner"
>          ("~/plans"
>            :default "index"
>            :force-publish ("index")
>            :major-mode planner-mode
>            :visit-link planner-visit-link)
>          (:base "planner-html" :path "~/publish_html/plans")
> )))
> (setq muse-wiki-allow-nonexistent-wikiword t)
>
> Thank you!
> shawn

I used to struggle with this too when publishing any muse source to
html. What version of emacs muse are you using?


_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting

shawn boles-3
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Chris Patterson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I used to struggle with this too when publishing any muse source to
> html. What version of emacs muse are you using?

My muse.el file is showing version 3.12.  I am pretty sure that this
is the most recent version.

Thanks,
shawn

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting

shawn boles-3
In reply to this post by mhoenicka
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Markus Hoenicka
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This actually should work. Are you sure your sources do not contain
>
> Line 1
> Line 2
> Line 3
>
> ??

I have checked and re-checked my Test.muse file.  I promise that my
paragraphs are delimited by empty lines. :)

I read through the Muse v3.12 Changelog and noted that support for  a
<br> tag was added.  I tested the <br> tag and it seems to work.  My
only small complaint is that my Notes, as read in planner, are slowly
turning into HTML.  It seems to me that a great benefit of
planner-publish is that my Notes can basically look like plain text in
the planner context and then look like nicely formatted HTML in the
published context.  I guess I just need to figure out what makes Muse
happy.  I have been looking forward to a good opportunity to
experiment with emacs lisp.  Maybe that opportunity is looking me in
the face.

> I use (note the leading spaces):
>
>  - List item 1

This worked!  Thank you very much.  I must have overlooked the leading
white space in the documentation.  Again, as mentioned, it seems like
I just need to figure out what Muse wants to see in the files.

Thanks again,
shawn

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting

mhoenicka
Zitat von shawn boles <[hidden email]>:

> I have checked and re-checked my Test.muse file.  I promise that my
> paragraphs are delimited by empty lines. :)
>

I don't know whether or not it matters, but do you use unix-style line  
endings?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
[hidden email]
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de



_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting

shawn boles-3
> I don't know whether or not it matters, but do you use unix-style line
> endings?

Great suggestion.  Apparently, it does matter.

I added the following to my .emacs:

;; do not perform EOL translation on muse/planner files
(add-untranslated-filesystem "C:\\cygwin\\home\\sboles\\plans")

and now, updated notes publish correctly.

Thanks again for your help!

shawn

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting [WJS+muse]

John Sullivan-2
In reply to this post by shawn boles-3
shawn boles <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have been using planner for a while now and I love it it.  But! I do
> have a small, lingering issue that I can not seem to get sorted out:
>
> I am not sure that I understand the formatting of published pages.  I
> am mostly concerned with Notes formatting.
>
> For example, a note with multiple newline delimited paragraphs like this:
>
> Line 1
>
> Line 2
>
> Line 3
>
> Gets published as Line1 Line 2 Line 3
>
> A list of items like this:
>
> - List item 1
> - List item 2
> - List item 3
>
> Gets published as - List item 1 - List item 2 - List item 3
>
> In the planner documentation I see references to
> planner-publishing-markup.  In my case, the basic Muse markup (as
> described in the Muse Quick Start document at mwolson.org) is just
> fine.  Why do all of my lines run together?  Maybe I am missing
> something in my planner configuration.  I appreciate any suggestions!

I see you were able to work around the problem, but can you clarify for
me -- does this happen only for planner pages that you publish, or does
it happen for other kinds of Muse documents as well?

--
John Sullivan
Emacs Planner Maintainer
http://wjsullivan.net/PlannerMode.html
GPG Key: AE8600B6

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Published Notes Formatting [WJS+muse]

shawn boles-3
Hello,

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM, John Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> -- does this happen only for planner pages that you publish, or does
> it happen for other kinds of Muse documents as well?

Yes, I see the same behavior- the paragraphs are run together.

What I did to test:

Opened new file foo.muse.  Entered same test data as before-
specifically a couple of empty line delimited paragraphs like so:

line 1

line 2

etc...

I saved the file and then published with muse-publish-this-file with
style "html".    Note that this test file is written by Emacs with
DOS-style newlines.  Now, if I open and write a test file in the
directory protected by add-untranslated-filesystem, it publishes fine.

Hope this helps,
-shawn

_______________________________________________
Planner-el-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/planner-el-discuss