Python 3 or not?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hi, I keep running into deployment headaches based on conflicts with
python 3 versoin of pip and other libaray problems. It feels like a big
mess and many hoops jumped through downgrading packages or hand
compiling obscure libaraies I should not have to touch.

Been many happy years with duplicity so i thank you but are you not
planning to support modern software stack? If not, someone here might
have kind advice on a quality replacement as reliable as duplicity and
support so many features?

Re: Python 3 or not?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Something is weird on your deployment.  Mostly Python 2 and 3 have separate library trees.  I have had both python 3 and python 2.7 installed an never had to downgrade.  I do have to install several required support libraries but that is handled by a decent package manager.

What OS distribution and what package manager are you using?

-Scott

On Nov 30, 2018, at 5:44 PM, MRob via Duplicity-talk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, I keep running into deployment headaches based on conflicts with python 3 versoin of pip and other libaray problems. It feels like a big mess and many hoops jumped through downgrading packages or hand compiling obscure libaraies I should not have to touch.

Re: Python 3 or not?

duplicity-talk mailing list
There is a Launchpad blueprint for it, and people have attempted to do a
port. I suspect that it isn't done yet due to lack of time and it being
non-trivial (mostly because of string vs. bytes changes in python 3).
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/duplicity/+spec/adorn-string-literals

I've been trying to work on porting the code, since SUSE will likely need
to have it ported. I submitted a merge request last week for a first pass,
but it is a very large patch that someone would need to look over.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018, MRob via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Hi, I keep running into deployment headaches based on conflicts with python 3
> versoin of pip and other libaray problems. It feels like a big mess and many
> hoops jumped through downgrading packages or hand compiling obscure libaraies
> I should not have to touch.
>
> Been many happy years with duplicity so i thank you but are you not planning
> to support modern software stack? If not, someone here might have kind advice
> on a quality replacement as reliable as duplicity and support so many
> features?

Re: Python 3 or not?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello MRob,

So there are two parts to this: what we are working on and whatever is causing your issues.

As to the plans, as per Mike's email this is in progress :
I had not yet seen Mike's merge request and thought that was still on my todo list, so that is an excellent development. I will try to find the time to give that a closer look.

That said, like Scott I am surprised you are running into issues getting this working for you. If you tell us more about your setup then we can try to get you up an running.

I've also been playing with Snap packages, which would include all dependencies within the package itself and would solve your dependency issues whether we've ported to Python 3 or not. That is looking very promising and I have made packages that appear to work, but the work is not yet finished.

Like most decent work items on a volunteer-run project, it is just finding the time to progress these larger changes.

Kind regards,

Aaron

Re: Python 3 or not?

duplicity-talk mailing list
Thank you for kind response Aaron. For long time problems were for the
age of the duplicity version in CentOS repos. Recently that position
becames better but ensuing problems became worse when duplicity removed
in-built support for B2 backend, now B2 must be take from pip3 (iirc) so
where the version conflicts become terrible. Even so far as library
installed for pip conflict and break certbot and solution very obscure
to take couple days googling. Not sure for the detail is important since
duplicity team maybe make decision b2 is not your responsibility but at
least in b2 users must beware that 2.7 duplicity is a problem.

Understand its a big job and its free software so cant complain only
thank you for many years of error free backups.