Question about reorganizing directory structure

Question about reorganizing directory structure

Errol Siegel
I have a directory structure on a Windows (FAT32) box.
 I want to move this data to another drive running on
a Linux box (Ext3).

I have a machine that has been backing up this
directory structure over the internet.  Is there a way
to make this move without backing up the data from
scratch (it is pretty large) and losing the revision
history?

I saw a similar question posted in the archives, but
it was a case where, from the point of view of the
machine doing the backup, it was accessing the same
machine and same directory structure.  In my case, it
will be pulling the backup from a different machine
and different mount point.

Any ideas?

Thanks much,
Errol

Re: Question about reorganizing directory structure

Ben Escoto
> I have a directory structure on a Windows (FAT32) box.  I want to
> move this data to another drive running on a Linux box (Ext3).
>
> I have a machine that has been backing up this directory structure
> over the internet.  Is there a way to make this move without backing
> up the data from scratch (it is pretty large) and losing the
> revision history?

So the backup repository is being moved from fat32 to ext3?  I think
it should work if you just copy the whole repository over (using
rsync, or rdiff-backup itself), then continue as normal.

The new configuration won't need quoting, but rdiff-backup should
continue quoting to preserve compatibility with the rest of the
repository.

--
Ben Escoto

Re: Question about reorganizing directory structure

Errol Siegel
Thanks very much for your response.  I think you
misunderstood the question (or I misunderstood the
answer).

The backup repository is not moving.  The files that
are being backed up are being moved.

Does this make sense?  Does this change the answer?

Thanks again,
Errol

--- Ben Escoto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 10:16:35 -0800 (PST)
> > I have a directory structure on a Windows (FAT32)
> box.  I want to
> > move this data to another drive running on a Linux
> box (Ext3).
> >
> > I have a machine that has been backing up this
> directory structure
> > over the internet.  Is there a way to make this
> move without backing
> > up the data from scratch (it is pretty large) and
> losing the
> > revision history?
>
> So the backup repository is being moved from fat32
> to ext3?  I think
> it should work if you just copy the whole repository
> over (using
> rsync, or rdiff-backup itself), then continue as
> normal.
>
> The new configuration won't need quoting, but
> rdiff-backup should
> continue quoting to preserve compatibility with the
> rest of the
> repository.
>

> --
> Ben Escoto

Re: Question about reorganizing directory structure

Ben Escoto

> Thanks very much for your response.  I think you misunderstood the
> question (or I misunderstood the answer).
>
> The backup repository is not moving.  The files that are being
> backed up are being moved.
>
> Does this make sense?  Does this change the answer?

Yes, I thought the repository was moving.  If you just copy the files
normally, all the mtimes and such will be off, so rdiff-backup will
think all of your files have changed the next session.  The first new
backup will take a long time, but the total size of the increments
should not be very large.

If you copy everything over exactly rdiff-backup may think nothing has
changed so there will be no problems.  However, copying at least
changes the device/inode numbers, so any hardlinked files will be
marked as changed.

--
Ben Escoto