Questions about fluidsynth API

fluid-dev mailing list

Hello, fluid-dev team,

I’d like to use your API system to run a MIDI-like software (to run a homemade giant piano).

At first, I used a MIDI board directly linked to an Arduino, but now, I want to use a raspberry pi board to add some new features, and I’m facing a huge problem : if I press 2 keys almost simultaneously, there is only one of them which is played (all sounds are supposed to out on MIDI channel 0). I have tried to reduce synth gain, as it seemed to change something on it, according to what I understood on the reference, but it does not seems to change anything…

Is there any way to change this ? Thank you very much.

Benoit Tachet

PS : Excuse me if there is any grammar mistakes, I’m not English native…

Re: Questions about fluidsynth API

George Poulson
Can you explain some more about what hardware you are using?
If you have a midi keyboard connected to a Raspberry Pi and are running fluidsynth then you should be able to hear the audio corresponding to pressing keys on the keyboard.
Do you have this working already? If not then can you use fluidsynth to play a midi file? Does this sound OK?
If you can play individual notes on the keyboard but cannot play chords (multiple notes at the same time) then could this be a limitation of the keyboard you are using?
None of this is really related to the fluidsynth API so you should really have started a new post, but with some more information there should be someone here to help you.
George.

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020, 15:03 Benoit Tachet via fluid-dev, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, fluid-dev team,

I’d like to use your API system to run a MIDI-like software (to run a homemade giant piano).

At first, I used a MIDI board directly linked to an Arduino, but now, I want to use a raspberry pi board to add some new features, and I’m facing a huge problem : if I press 2 keys almost simultaneously, there is only one of them which is played (all sounds are supposed to out on MIDI channel 0). I have tried to reduce synth gain, as it seemed to change something on it, according to what I understood on the reference, but it does not seems to change anything…

Is there any way to change this ? Thank you very much.

Benoit Tachet

PS : Excuse me if there is any grammar mistakes, I’m not English native…

Re: Questions about fluidsynth API

fluid-dev mailing list

Hello George,

For the hardware, here are some more explanations :

The Keyboard I’m using is a custom one, made from wood and plexiglass, being 1 meter width and 1.1 meter depth per octave. To check if a key is pressed or not, I use some silver tissue, linked to an Arduino board. This board, that I will call “Slave” in the next paragraphs, is linked to another Arduino board,  a “master” board.

At first, I played sounds directly thanks to a MIDI board directly connected to the master, and everything worked perfectly, so I don’t think the problem comes from the keyboard.

Since I started using fluidsynth, everything works well when I press one key at a time, but when I press two of them, only one sound is played… That’s why I think it may come, either from Fluidsynth itself, either from FluidSynth’s API.

Benoit

Re: Questions about fluidsynth API

fluid-dev mailing list

Hello again,

After a quick check, I am now sure that the problem comes from the synths (I have tried with Timidity and FluidSynth), because I have the same problem on a Windows 64-bits computer.

Benoit

Re: Questions about fluidsynth API

Ceresa Jean-Jacques

Hello Benoit,

With the descriptions you have given it is impossible to localize your issue.

Did you successfully ran the fluidsynth console application playing a MIDI file ?

Did you successfully ran the fluidsynth console application using default MIDI driver with your MIDI keyboard on MIDI input ?

Or did you write a specific program calling fluidsynth library API ?

To be able to help you please give a clear description of which API you use.

Also, if this program use fluid_synth_note(), fluid_synth_noteoff()..., you should print a message

that displays chan,key and velocity value on the console just before calling these API. Also print the returned status (FLUID_FAILED, FLUID_OK).

Regards.

jjc

Le 07/02/2020 à 09:29, Benoit Tachet via fluid-dev a écrit :

> Hello again,
>
> After a quick check, I am now sure that the problem comes from the
> synths (I have tried with Timidity and FluidSynth), because I have the
> same problem on a Windows 64-bits computer.
>
> Benoit

Hello,

As I understand it, you've got the same results with your custom MIDI
keyboard and Fluidsynth (or Timidity), so it's a synth problem... Umh,
well... can you test your application with a standard MIDI Keyboard?

Luc