Questions and Ideas

Kenan Bitikofer
Hi all,

I've played enigma for a few years now and believe it to be the most
interesting and enjoyable puzzle game in the repositories, both for its
variety and extent of gameplay.  I recently began writing levels of my
own, and would like to get involved in other aspects of development.  I
have a few questions about its development.

     What are the planned developments or areas of work now that 1.20 is
released?
     Where are the development sources for the project?  The
repositories on sourceforge haven't been modified since 2011.
     Where would one submit new levels for review and possible inclusion?
     Why does the main website appear to be so infrequently updated?

I have had some ideas about gameplay additions that could be
interesting, and don't seem like they would be burdensome to incorporate:

     Stones and/or floors that have a RGB color designation, which would
give more aesthetic control to developers.
     Actors with variable/controllable size.  There is already some
difference in radius between actors, but making the blackball's diameter
greater than a tile could have interesting implications.
     Actors with controllable mass.  This would just affect collisions
with other actors, but would help in levels involving many interactions.
     An "apply constant force" function for a single actor.  This has
been a frustration for me while trying to add gravity to one actor but
not another.  I haven't found a good solution.

Correct me if I misunderstand anything about these concepts.  I am not
well-versed in C++, and much less the intricacies of this project code.

Thanks for all your work!
Kenan

Re: Questions and Ideas

Raoul-3
Hi Kenan,

> I've played enigma for a few years now and believe it to be the most
> interesting and enjoyable puzzle game in the repositories, both for
> its variety and extent of gameplay.

Thanks! This is great to hear :-)

>  I recently began writing levels of my own, and would like to get
> involved in other aspects of development.

Perfect.

>  I have a few questions about its develop

Let me answer your questions in detail later today.

-- Raoul

Re: Questions and Ideas

Raoul-3

It took a bit longer than expected.

> I recently began writing levels of my own, and would like
> to get involved in other aspects of development.

That is great.

> What are the planned developments or areas of work now that 1.20
> is released?

Hmm, various smaller refactorings I'd say. Maybe
a few new game objects. Work on game data like translations,
graphics or new levels and similar things.

Is there something you are specially interested in?
If you want to work on any topic, let us know.

> Where are the development sources for the project?  The
> repositories on sourceforge haven't been modified since 2011.

It is all on Sourceforge, look at "svn->sources" and not "svn->code":

  http://sourceforge.net/p/enigma-game/source/HEAD/tree/

Latest commit is just a few days old. We may finally
switch over to git later this year.

> Where would one submit new levels for review and possible
> inclusion?

Either to this list and we will take care. Or better to
the community forum at:

  http://www.mag-heut.net/blackball/index.php

From time to time we look for new levels there to include
into Enigma.

> Why does the main website appear to be so infrequently
> updated?

Hmm, last update is two weeks old. But I think you mean
the news entries. Well, there are rarely big news beside
the releases.

> I have had some ideas about gameplay additions that could be
> interesting, and don't seem like they would be burdensome to
> incorporate:
>
> Stones and/or floors that have a RGB color designation, which
> would give more aesthetic control to developers.

This was discussed years ago, in fact I had the same idea.
We decided not to implement such stones and floors for several
reasons.

> Actors with variable/controllable size.  There is already some
> difference in radius between actors, but making the blackball's
> diameter greater than a tile could have interesting implications.

Yes, also this was discussed some time ago. There are many
non-trivial issues with the physics engine we would need to
resolve first. The most practicable way to go right now I think
is to introduce more actor transformations like it-drop.

> Actors with controllable mass.

We have that with the it-weights.

>  This would just affect
> collisions with other actors, but would help in levels involving many
> interactions. An "apply constant force" function for a single actor.
> This has been a frustration for me while trying to add gravity to one
> actor but not another.  I haven't found a good solution.

I think there is none in nature ;-)

> Correct me if I misunderstand anything about these concepts.  I am
> not well-versed in C++, and much less the intricacies of this project
> code.

No problem, thanks for your interest.

-- Raoul