RIFF header not found; fluidsynth2

Matt Wallis-2
There seems to be a difference between the WAV files created by
fluidsynth1 and fluisdynth2. Specifically, I'm getting an error when I
try to play a fluidsynth2 WAV file. This is on Ubuntu 18.04

    $ fluidsynth  -F AScore.wav /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2
    AScore.midi
    FluidSynth runtime version 2.0.8
    Copyright (C) 2000-2019 Peter Hanappe and others.
    Distributed under the LGPL license.
    SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

    Rendering audio to file 'AScore.wav'..
    $ play AScore.wav
    play FAIL formats: can't open input file `AScore.wav': WAVE: RIFF
    header not found

whereas SoX's play command will play the equivalent WAV created by
fluidsynth1:

    $ /usr/bin/fluidsynth  -F AScore.wav
    /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2  AScore.midi
    FluidSynth version 1.1.9
    Copyright (C) 2000-2018 Peter Hanappe and others.
    Distributed under the LGPL license.
    SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.

    Rendering audio to file 'AScore.wav'..
    matt@ocinara:~/Music/Matt/NightRideHome$ play AScore.wav

    AScore.wav:

      File Size: 3.53M     Bit Rate: 1.41M
       Encoding: Signed PCM
       Channels: 2 @ 16-bit
    Samplerate: 44100Hz
    ... etc ...

SoX seems to complain about 'RIFF header not found'. If this is
genuinely something that 's missing from the fluidsynth2 WAV, is there a
way to put it back? Or is the problem with SoX?

BTW:

    $ play --version
    play:      SoX v14.4.2

Re: RIFF header not found; fluidsynth2

Marcus Weseloh
Hi Matt,

the file created by Fluidsynth 2.0.8 is probably a "raw" file. My guess is that you compiled fluidsynth without libsndfile support.
Just make sure you have the libsndfile-dev package installed, then run cmake again and recompile.

Cheers
Marcus

On 25/11/2019 17:13, Marcus Weseloh wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> the file created by Fluidsynth 2.0.8 is probably a "raw" file. My
> guess is that you compiled fluidsynth without libsndfile support.
> Just make sure you have the libsndfile-dev package installed, then run
> cmake again and recompile.

Thanks Marcus - your guess was spot-on.

This is probably an indication that I should go back and read the
detailed instructions for building fluidsynth!

Matt