Ratpoison cause segmentation fault while using it in Userland for Android

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ratpoison cause segmentation fault while using it in Userland for Android

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
Dear C language specialists here.
I AM offering exciting development mission to you. May be that you know
about it. But Userland is very promising project, which allows users to
run Linux distributions by using non rooted Android device. Sure. Linux
run its userspace variant, but developers of Userland have done their
best to support Unix sockets, Dbus and even dynamic shared memory and
shared memory support in general.
I will let The decision on you. If you could look deeply at The source
code of Ratpoison, its dependent .h header files. Could you try to
extend Ratpoison source code lines so it would not display segmentation
fault message when running ratpoison in Userland session?
I Am running Debian ARM64 Bit variant. But I Am using 64 Bit CPU and
Android run 32 Bit. It is standard of many Android devices, because 64
Bit Android code allocates much more RAm and internal device storage.
If you will decide, that working in this non standard environment is The
waste of time, I will respect it. But Ratpoison is very light weight
window manager and it would be ideal for such non standard environment
such as Userland project.
The interesting think is that even some C related library display
segmentation fault, there is no other crash and Window manager work
here. Do you think that I can simply ignore this, or is The segmentation
fault The severe C language run-time bug, which can cause unexpected app
behaviour and can cause whole system instability if I will run Ratpoison
with this bug for A too long time?
Thank you very very much for yours thinkink and discussion.
With warmest regards.
Janusz Chmiel


_______________________________________________
Ratpoison-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ratpoison-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ratpoison cause segmentation fault while using it in Userland for Android

Spiros Bousbouras
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 22:10:06 +0200  Janusz Chmiel wrote:

> I will let The decision on you. If you could look deeply at The source
> code of Ratpoison, its dependent .h header files. Could you try to
> extend Ratpoison source code lines so it would not display segmentation
> fault message when running ratpoison in Userland session?
> I Am running Debian ARM64 Bit variant. But I Am using 64 Bit CPU and
> Android run 32 Bit. It is standard of many Android devices, because 64
> Bit Android code allocates much more RAm and internal device storage.
> If you will decide, that working in this non standard environment is The
> waste of time, I will respect it. But Ratpoison is very light weight
> window manager and it would be ideal for such non standard environment
> such as Userland project.

I'm not familiar with UserLAnd but I will try a few questions :
Do you install  ratpoison  from the Debian repositories or do you compile
from source ? I don't know if compiling from source is possible on UserLAnd ,
I'm just asking.

> The interesting think is that even some C related library display
> segmentation fault, there is no other crash and Window manager work
> here.

I find this confusing. Which C library ? Where do you see the message
about segmentation fault ? Is there anything related in  /var/log/messages ?
What about if you do   dmesg | tail   ? What do you mean "Window manager works" ?
Assuming you mean  ratpoison  , do you mean that it works until you get
segmentation fault or that somehow you a get a segmentation fault message
and yet  ratpoison  continues to work ? What exactly were you doing right
before getting the message ?

> Do you think that I can simply ignore this, or is The segmentation
> fault The severe C language run-time bug, which can cause unexpected app
> behaviour and can cause whole system instability if I will run Ratpoison
> with this bug for A too long time?

A segmentation fault generally means that some programme tried to access
memory it wasn't supposed to. In a robust system this may terminate the
programme responsible but should have no effect on the rest of the system.
Whether UserLAnd is robust enough I don't know but if a segmentation fault of
ratpoison  or anything else causes UserLAnd to become unstable then that's a
bug in UserLAnd and should be reported to its maintainers. So I would say you
should continue to run  ratpoison  and see if any crash of  ratpoison
(assuming this is what happens , you're not clear enough) affects the rest of
the system. If it does , you should report it to the UserLAnd maintainers. In
the meantime try to answer my other questions above.

Spiros Bousbouras

_______________________________________________
Ratpoison-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ratpoison-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ratpoison cause segmentation fault while using it in Userland for Android

Mgr. Janusz Chmiel
Dear Mr Bousbouras,
     I have installed by using official Debian repository for ARM64
architecture. Unfortunately, ratpoison terminate quickly after
segmentation fault.
I use it with The combination with Xserver XSDL. It is Xserver for
Android. Sure, it can not support 3D effect.s



_______________________________________________
Ratpoison-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ratpoison-devel