Re: [Gluster-users] Docs on gluster parameters

Re: [Gluster-users] Docs on gluster parameters

Ravishankar N

On 14/11/20 3:23 am, Mahdi Adnan wrote:
Hi,

 Differently, the Gluster docs missing quite a bit regarding the available options that can be used in the volumes.
Not only that, there are some options that might corrupt data and do not have proper documentation, for example, disable Sharding will lead to data corruption and I think it does not give any warning? "maybe I'm wrong regarding the warning tho" and I can not find any details about it in the official Gluster docs. The same goes for multiple clients accessing a volume with Sharding enabled.
also, in some cases, write-behind and stat-prefetch can lead to data inconsistency if multiple clients accessing the same data.
I think having solid "Official" Gluster docs with all of these details is essential to have stable Gluster deployments.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 7:34 PM Eli V <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think docs.gluster.org needs a section on the available parameters,
especially considering how important some of them can be. For example
a google for performance.parallel-readdir, or
features.cache-invalidation only seems to turn up some hits in the
release notes on docs.gluster.org. I woudn't expect a new user to have
to go read the release notes for all previous releases to understand
the importance of these parameters, or what paremeters even exist.

https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/  can be updated by sending pull requests to https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs. It would be great if you can send some patches regarding the changes you would like to see. It doesn't have to be perfect. I can help in getting them reviewed and merged.

Thanks,
Ravi

________

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
Gluster-users mailing list

Respectfully
Mahdi

________

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
Gluster-users mailing list

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: [Gluster-users] Docs on gluster parameters

Strahil Nikolov
Hi Ravi,

I can propose a pull request if someone gives me a general idea of each setting.
Do we have comments in the source code that can be used as a description ?

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov

В понеделник, 16 ноември 2020 г., 10:36:09 Гринуич+2, Ravishankar N <[hidden email]> написа:

________

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://meet.google.com/cpu-eiue-hvk
Gluster-users mailing list

Community Meeting Calendar:

Schedule -
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/441850968

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: [Gluster-users] Docs on gluster parameters

Ravishankar N

Hi Strahil

On 16/11/20 4:21 pm, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
Hi Ravi,

I can propose a pull request if someone gives me a general idea of each setting.
Do we have comments in the source code that can be used as a description ?

`gluster volume set help`  lists many of the documented options. For the others (which  usually are not needed to be tweaked but its there if you still want to play with), each translator has a struct volume_options options[] in the source code (do a git grep "struct volume_options options" on the source code) which usually has a ".description" filed that gives a short description.

HTH,

Ravi