Re: How to speed up rdiff-backup

Carsten Lorenz
Ben Escoto wrote:

>Hmm, when other people complained about slow rdiff-backups I thought
>the problem was CPU usage but obviously this isn't the problem in your
>case.
>
>Try editing your Globals.py file and increasing blocksize and
>conn_blocksize by a lot.  For instance, try:
>
>blocksize = 524288
>conn_bufsize = 1572864
>
>I'd be curious to see if this makes much of a difference.

It makes a difference.

To backup 1.13TB it lasts from 12th 2:00pm to 20th 10:30pm which makes
2.1KB/s

I did some short tests (the first 20 minutes of the same backup).
Your values work with 3.4KB/s
Larger buffers makes it slower.

Carsten

Re: How to speed up rdiff-backup

Ben Escoto

> To backup 1.13TB it lasts from 12th 2:00pm to 20th 10:30pm which makes
> 2.1KB/s

More than 8 days??  Still though, isn't 1.13TB over 8 days about
1.7MB/s?

> I did some short tests (the first 20 minutes of the same backup).
> Your values work with 3.4KB/s
> Larger buffers makes it slower.

Oops, I just increased the buffer sizes in 1.1.0, since this issue
reminded me that they've been the same size for years.  I'm not sure
why larger buffers would slow things down, and would love to know what
the bottleneck on your system (and Andy Wettstein's) is.

--
Ben Escoto