Re: [Monotone-users] botan

Stephen Leake-3
jfl <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is it ok to install and run a version of botan separate from and
> possibly a different version than what's in monotone without dangerous
> and/or confusing interactions?

depends on the OS, and what you mean by "separate".

This is a general shared library configuration management question, not
specific to monotone.

mtn must use the shared library it was compiled for, or a strictly
upward-compatible one. I don't know if Botan is in general
upward-compatible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Debian (and Linux in general) has facilities for installing multiple
versions shared libraries for exactly this reason.

On Windows, you must put the botan .dll in the same directory as
mtn.exe, or ensure it is the only on PATH.

--
-- Stephe

Re: [Monotone-users] botan

Markus Wanner-2
On 07/25/2014 10:21 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> mtn must use the shared library it was compiled for, or a strictly
> upward-compatible one. I don't know if Botan is in general
> upward-compatible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Botan promises API stability within the same minor version, i.e. between
1.8.x and 1.8.y for all x and y applicable. (So far with only one
exception that I consider an unintended glitch). So those should be
backwards and forwards compatible.

Note that odd minor versions are testing or experimental releases, which
don't provide that guarantee (i.e. 1.9.x or 1.11.x). You shouldn't
compile monotone against one of those (unless you know what you're doing).

Regards

Markus Wanner

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment