Re: Questions and Ideas | I want to help with Enigma too!

Re: Questions and Ideas | I want to help with Enigma too!

Reece-6
Hi Kenan,

I once looked into helping with the development of Enigma's source code
about 2 years ago, but ran into many of the same questions as you.  I
ended up creating a simple level editor for Enigma in Java and most of
the basic features work, but there is still work to be done on it.

Anyways, your email rekindled my interest in helping with Enigma's
development and I eagerly await Raoul's response!

One of the reasons I chose to create a level editor is because I know
Java very well, and I'm not so fluent in C++.  Another reason is because
I find the hardest part about entering into a project that is not my own
is trying to figure out how to setup your environment to compile for the
first time.  If anyone out there could give me some pointers on how to
get Enigma to compile, that would be great!!
(I'm running in Ubuntu Linux by the way)

Like I said above, I eagerly await Raoul's response and hope I can also
get involved with the development of Enigma!

-Reece

P.S. If anyone would like to check out my level editor, you can find it
here:
sourceforge.net/projects/enigmaeditor/

On 02/04/2014 10:01 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've played enigma for a few years now and believe it to be the most
> interesting and enjoyable puzzle game in the repositories, both for its
> variety and extent of gameplay.  I recently began writing levels of my
> own, and would like to get involved in other aspects of development.  I
> have a few questions about its development.
>
>       What are the planned developments or areas of work now that 1.20 is
> released?
>       Where are the development sources for the project?  The
> repositories on sourceforge haven't been modified since 2011.
>       Where would one submit new levels for review and possible inclusion?
>       Why does the main website appear to be so infrequently updated?
>

> I have had some ideas about gameplay additions that could be
> interesting, and don't seem like they would be burdensome to incorporate:
>
>       Stones and/or floors that have a RGB color designation, which would
> give more aesthetic control to developers.
>       Actors with variable/controllable size.  There is already some
> difference in radius between actors, but making the blackball's diameter
> greater than a tile could have interesting implications.
>       Actors with controllable mass.  This would just affect collisions
> with other actors, but would help in levels involving many interactions.
>       An "apply constant force" function for a single actor.  This has
> been a frustration for me while trying to add gravity to one actor but
> not another.  I haven't found a good solution.
>
> Correct me if I misunderstand anything about these concepts.  I am not
> well-versed in C++, and much less the intricacies of this project code.
>

> Thanks for all your work!
> Kenan

Re: Questions and Ideas | I want to help with Enigma too!

Kenan Bitikofer
I'm a linux and java nerd as well.  I did successfully compile 1.20,
after satisfying the innumerable dependencies.  I'll check out your editor.

Kenan

On 02/06/2014 09:54 AM, RJ wrote:

> [...]
>> would
>> give more aesthetic control to developers.
>>       Actors with variable/controllable size.  There is already some
>> difference in radius between actors, but making the blackball's diameter
>> greater than a tile could have interesting implications.
>>       Actors with controllable mass.  This would just affect collisions
>> with other actors, but would help in levels involving many interactions.
>>       An "apply constant force" function for a single actor. This has
>> been a frustration for me while trying to add gravity to one actor but
>> not another.  I haven't found a good solution.
>>
>> Correct me if I misunderstand anything about these concepts.  I am not
>> well-versed in C++, and much less the intricacies of this project code.
>>

>> Thanks for all your work!
>> Kenan

Re: Questions and Ideas | I want to help with Enigma too!

Raoul-3

> If anyone out there could give me some
> pointers on how to get Enigma to compile, that would be great!!
> (I'm running in Ubuntu Linux by the way)

Compiling Enigma on Linux is as easy as running configure and make.
You need some libraries of course but since you are running Ubuntu
they should be in the same packages as on Debian. I think you find
the complete list on our website. If not please let us know so we
can update the website.

If you have everything, run from within you source tree:

  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/enigma_devel --enable-debug-gdb
  make

Let us know if you encounter problems.

-- Raoul

Re: Questions and Ideas | I want to help with Enigma too!

Erich Schubert
Hi all,
The Ubuntu packages are the same as my Debian packages.
They divert slightly from official enigma, because I tried to use
system libraries where possible, in order to get automatic bug fixes
in the shared libraries.

If you have an "deb-src" line in your sources list (this will be
somewhere in the Ubuntu manual), a simple

apt-get build-deps enigma

should install everything you need to compile enigma (but not an IDE though).

You can also do:
aptitude install bzip2 autotools-dev autoconf automake texinfo
libsdl-image1.2-dev  libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libzipios++-dev
libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libxerces-c-dev
libcurl4-gnutls-dev imagemagick libpng-dev
(some of these may not be strictly necessary if the included libraries
are used, such as libzipios++-dev)

Regards,
Erich

Re: Questions and Ideas

Kenan Bitikofer
Thanks for all your answers!

Is there an area of the forums devoted to level submissions?  If so, I
am not able to find it.

I forgot to ask about the status of score submissions.  Is there any
work being done towards getting them processed automatically (or even at
all)?  Are there security difficulties with setting up a database to
upload scores?
If there were one thing I would hope for in the next release, automatic
score management would be it.

Kenan