Re: [ftplicity:feature-requests] #45 Feature: Parseable output, especially dates

Re: [ftplicity:feature-requests] #45 Feature: Parseable output, especially dates

duplicity-talk mailing list
On 1/19/2019 9:27 PM, Marc Diethelm wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply ede! I didn't have these duplicity options on my radar.

no problem

>Tried them and now I'm confused. Their output is supposed to be easily consumed by other programs it says. Yet the whole thing is still looks very much made for humans.. Some lines are prefixed with a dot which I suppose could help parse out the relevant info. But for |list| I'm seeing this:
>
> NOTICE 1
> . Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
SNIP

> . No orphaned or incomplete backup sets found.
>
> I'm obviously most interested in the "Full"/"Incremental" lines. But the rest of the info is very valuable too. But I can't see how this can be parsed without lots of regexes and or grepping and compiling and converting data. There are no concise identifiers and delimiters to easily find certain lines and data of interest. And here too the date is in human-readable format.
>
> As I said I'm confused. To offer a quick and incomplete example, here's an idea of what I would expect to see:
>
> last_full::20190119T194604Z
> volumes::2
> list:
> time::volumes::type
> .20190119T194604Z::1::full
> .20190119T194604Z::1::incremental
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

would you mind joining the duplicity mailing list?
i think it might a better place to discuss this duplicity feature.

it was implemented years ago to allow machine readable output. i insisted at that time to have it optional and pipeable to a specific fd as i was planning to parse it in the future with duply. never came around to it though.
we can probably improve it with your input or even python patches.

..ede/duply.net

Re: [ftplicity:feature-requests] #45 Feature: Parseable output, especially dates

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello Ede / Duplicity-talk

As you can see I just joined the mailing list. Thanks for inviting me.
Hope I'm doing this right.

So thanks for posting my thoughts from the duply thread. To reiterate a
bit. I was surprised by the way the supposedly machine-readable output
(using --log-fd or --log-file) looks. I find it not easy to parse at all.

In the snippet posted by ede you find a possible sketch of what I
believe would make parsing much more feasible.
And being able to parse the output is in fact crucial to me.

I have only marginal experience with Python unfortunately. My experience
is in Node.js. But I'd like to help with this in any way I can.

Regards, Marc