Recovering to a different system

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Recovering to a different system

duplicity-talk mailing list
Hello!

I made backups with duplicity from a Fedora laptop onto a USB hard drive that I would now like to recover to another system (to a NAS4Free NAS with duplicity running on a macOS system).

However, from what I could tell, duplicity is not really prepared for a recovery like this, on another system and I was hoping you could give me some suggestions in order for me to recover the files’ content. Some problems I’ve had were:

* Duplicity not being able to chowning file to root or another user that does not exist in this system (it seems there’s no flag to ignore ownership) -- from what I could tell wouldn’t actually affect me because I’m only interested in the files content, but I’m not sure;
* An OSError exception on `os.mkfifo` because the “Operation [is] not supported” — this I imagine may be related to duplicity not being able to create some type of file on my NAS that existed in the source;
* Some FileNotFound exceptions, I believe, that I didn’t quite understand, but at the time I wasn’t paying attention so I can’t really reason why this could happen; I’ll probably deal with this later, since it’s not the problem blocking the recovery.

Thank you in advance.
_______________________________________________
Duplicity-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/duplicity-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering to a different system

duplicity-talk mailing list
On 16.10.2018 00:15, asterslash via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hello!

hi Asterslash,

> I made backups with duplicity from a Fedora laptop onto a USB hard drive that I would now like to recover to another system (to a NAS4Free NAS with duplicity running on a macOS system).
>
> However, from what I could tell, duplicity is not really prepared for a recovery like this, on another system

it has been done in the past and should work flawlessly

>and I was hoping you could give me some suggestions in order for me to recover the files’ content. Some problems I’ve had were:
>
> * Duplicity not being able to chowning file to root or another user that does not exist in this system (it seems there’s no flag to ignore ownership) -- from what I could tell wouldn’t actually affect me because I’m only interested in the files content, but I’m not sure;

chowning is only possible if duplicity is run as root. if not it is tried and log that it couldn't be done but should go on restoring.

> * An OSError exception on `os.mkfifo` because the “Operation [is] not supported” — this I imagine may be related to duplicity not being able to create some type of file on my NAS that existed in the source;

probably because your trying to restore on a macOS . if you do not need that file the error could probably be ignored.

> * Some FileNotFound exceptions, I believe, that I didn’t quite understand, but at the time I wasn’t paying attention so I can’t really reason why this could happen; I’ll probably deal with this later, since it’s not the problem blocking the recovery.

now that's very vague. how about you provide a proper full console log output (via pastebin,dropbox ...) of your restore run and we work from there?

..ede/duply.net



_______________________________________________
Duplicity-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/duplicity-talk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering to a different system

duplicity-talk mailing list
First of all thank you for your help!

I was able to do it on a linux virtual machine with root access. While the chowning didn’t block the recovery process, the OSError I mentioned did so I couldn’t just ignore it (duplicity didn’t crash though, it just seemed “stuck”).

In VM, the chowning problems were gone then because I was root, the mkfifo worked because it was linux and the errors I mentioned last were resolved too — sorry for the lack of details but I really forgot to save the logs from that recovery; I would deal with them later, when I had a proper log.

I did however found another problem creating symlinks because I was recovering to a SMB share. I ended up recovering locally and then running rsync to the NAS.

I hope this can help others with similar issues.

Once again, thank you for your help!

> On 16 Oct 2018, at 10:02, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> On 16.10.2018 00:15, asterslash via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> Hello!
>
> hi Asterslash,
>
>> I made backups with duplicity from a Fedora laptop onto a USB hard drive that I would now like to recover to another system (to a NAS4Free NAS with duplicity running on a macOS system).
>>
>> However, from what I could tell, duplicity is not really prepared for a recovery like this, on another system
>
> it has been done in the past and should work flawlessly
>
>> and I was hoping you could give me some suggestions in order for me to recover the files’ content. Some problems I’ve had were:
>>
>> * Duplicity not being able to chowning file to root or another user that does not exist in this system (it seems there’s no flag to ignore ownership) -- from what I could tell wouldn’t actually affect me because I’m only interested in the files content, but I’m not sure;
>
> chowning is only possible if duplicity is run as root. if not it is tried and log that it couldn't be done but should go on restoring.
>
>> * An OSError exception on `os.mkfifo` because the “Operation [is] not supported” — this I imagine may be related to duplicity not being able to create some type of file on my NAS that existed in the source;
>
> probably because your trying to restore on a macOS . if you do not need that file the error could probably be ignored.
>
>> * Some FileNotFound exceptions, I believe, that I didn’t quite understand, but at the time I wasn’t paying attention so I can’t really reason why this could happen; I’ll probably deal with this later, since it’s not the problem blocking the recovery.
>
> now that's very vague. how about you provide a proper full console log output (via pastebin,dropbox ...) of your restore run and we work from there?
>
> ..ede/duply.net
>
>


_______________________________________________
Duplicity-talk mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/duplicity-talk