Release 5.7 or 5.8

Hari Gowtham
Hi,

We came across an build issue with release 5.7. It was related the
python version.
A fix for it ha been posted [ https://review.gluster.org/#/c/glusterfs/+/23028 ]
Once we take this fix in we need to go ahead with tagging and release it.
Though we have tagged 5.7, we weren't able to package 5.7 because of this issue.

Now the question is, to create 5.7.1 or go with 5.8 as recreating a
tag isn't an option.
My take is to create 5.8 and mark 5.7 obsolete. And the reasons are as below:
*) We have moved on to using 5.x.  Going back to 5.x.y will be confusing.
*) 5.8 is also due as we got delayed a lot in this issue.

If we have any other opinion, please let us know so we can decide and
go ahead with the best option.

Hari Gowtham.

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/836554017

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/486278655

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Release 5.7 or 5.8

Niels de Vos-5
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 01:02:48PM +0530, Hari Gowtham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We came across an build issue with release 5.7. It was related the
> python version.
> A fix for it ha been posted [ https://review.gluster.org/#/c/glusterfs/+/23028 ]
> Once we take this fix in we need to go ahead with tagging and release it.
> Though we have tagged 5.7, we weren't able to package 5.7 because of this issue.
>
> Now the question is, to create 5.7.1 or go with 5.8 as recreating a
> tag isn't an option.
> My take is to create 5.8 and mark 5.7 obsolete. And the reasons are as below:
> *) We have moved on to using 5.x.  Going back to 5.x.y will be confusing.
> *) 5.8 is also due as we got delayed a lot in this issue.
>
> If we have any other opinion, please let us know so we can decide and
> go ahead with the best option.

I would go with 5.7.1. However if 5.8 would be tagged around the same
time, then only do 5.8.

Niels

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/836554017

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/486278655

Gluster-devel mailing list

Re: Release 5.7 or 5.8

Atin Mukherjee

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 21:14, Niels de Vos <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 01:02:48PM +0530, Hari Gowtham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We came across an build issue with release 5.7. It was related the
> python version.
> A fix for it ha been posted [ https://review.gluster.org/#/c/glusterfs/+/23028 ]
> Once we take this fix in we need to go ahead with tagging and release it.
> Though we have tagged 5.7, we weren't able to package 5.7 because of this issue.
>
> Now the question is, to create 5.7.1 or go with 5.8 as recreating a
> tag isn't an option.
> My take is to create 5.8 and mark 5.7 obsolete. And the reasons are as below:
> *) We have moved on to using 5.x.  Going back to 5.x.y will be confusing.
> *) 5.8 is also due as we got delayed a lot in this issue.
>
> If we have any other opinion, please let us know so we can decide and
> go ahead with the best option.

I would go with 5.7.1. However if 5.8 would be tagged around the same
time, then only do 5.8.

Since 5.8 is nearing, lets do 5.8 instead of 5.7.1?

Niels

Community Meeting Calendar:

APAC Schedule -
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 11:30 AM IST
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/836554017

NA/EMEA Schedule -
Every 1st and 3rd Tuesday at 01:00 PM EDT
Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/486278655

Gluster-devel mailing list

- Atin (atinm)