Release Candidate of fluidsynth 2.1 released

Release Candidate of fluidsynth 2.1 released

fluid-dev mailing list
A prerelease for fluidsynth 2.1 is available. Thanks to all contributors, bug reporters and testers!

https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/releases/tag/v2.1.0.rc1

fluidsynth 2.1 will not only bring new features, it also features changes to the synth engine: A new, less "ringing" reverb engine and stereophonic chorus are among them. Care was taken to not change how the reverb parameters affect the effect itself. Feel free to use this prerelease for audio rehearsal. For a full list of changes, pls. see the preliminary changelog below. You're welcome to provide feedback to any of the changes.

For those who prefer to stay stable for the moment, fluidsynth 2.0.8 is available.

This prerelease is planned to become the fluidsynth 2.1.0 stable release in late November.

Preliminary changelog for 2.1.0:

### New features
* New, less "ringing" reverb engine (#380, thanks to @jjceresa)
* New, stereophonic chorus engine (#548, thanks to @jjceresa)
* Support for Downloadable Sounds (DLS) files was added (#320, requires [libinstpatch](https://github.com/swami/libinstpatch))
* Improved integrity checking of SoundFont modulators (#467, thanks to @jjceresa)
* Rendering to stdout is now possible (#553, thanks to @mawe42)
* The following Audio Drivers have been added:
  * Oboe (#464, tested on Android, thanks to @atsushieno)
  * OpenSLES (#464, tested on Android, thanks to @atsushieno)
  * SDL2 (#478, thanks to @carlo-bramini)
  * WaveOut (#466, tested on Win98, WinNT4.0, WinXP, thanks to @carlo-bramini)
* Various performance improvements (#543, #545,  #547,  #569,  #573)

### Bug fixes
* Generator `modEnvAttack` now has a convex shape according to SoundFont spec (#153)

Tom

DLS format - AW: Release Candidate of fluidsynth 2.1 released

Reinhold Hoffmann
Tom, thanks for 2.1 and in particular the builds for Windows. Tests of the
DLS format run almost smoothly. I have one recommendation. The function

int fluid_is_soundfont (const char *filename)

in misc.h, fluid_sffile.c fails for the DLS format but only covers sf2 and
sf3. I recommend to include the DLS format to this function/module, too. To
me it is not a big deal and avoids a change in the user software.

Reinhold

Re: DLS format - AW: Release Candidate of fluidsynth 2.1 released

fluid-dev mailing list
> Tom, thanks for 2.1 and in particular the builds for Windows. Tests of the
> DLS format run almost smoothly. I have one recommendation. The function
>
> int fluid_is_soundfont (const char *filename)
>
> in misc.h, fluid_sffile.c fails for the DLS format but only covers sf2 and
> sf3. I recommend to include the DLS format to this function/module, too. To
> me it is not a big deal and avoids a change in the user software.

Thanks for the feedback, Reinhold.

You're right, I wasn't quite sure about this either, since the name of the function suggests to only work for SF2. But since it is only a quick'n dirty check anyway, I think it should also handle DLS files. After all, the main purpose of this function seems to be trying to find out whether fluidsynth might be able to handle that file...

So, unless somebody objects, I'll make fluid_is_soundfont() DLS aware for the stable 2.1.0 .

Tom

Re: DLS format - AW: Release Candidate of fluidsynth 2.1 released

Ceresa Jean-Jacques

>After all, the main purpose of this function seems to be trying to find out whether fluidsynth might be able to handle that file...

Indeed, as DLS synthesizer model engine is very similar to sounfont synthesizer model, it seems a good thing for this function be able to load DLS file as well.

Thanks to the recent support for loading DLS file via libinstpatch library.

jjc